BOV help.

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LookAsubie
First Gear

BOV help.

Post by LookAsubie »

I know alot of people think a blowoff valve is pointless..
but to be honest. i love the sound.

when i got the car it had some kind of BOV on it ran 100% to the atmosphere. and the car idled really crappy and would die sometimes when idling.

right now i just have one of those plastic bypass valves on and it is 100% recirc. so i get no blowoff sound whatsoever. but it idles fine.

anyways i tried putting that BOV back on and just plugged off the other hose and that didnt work. started idling really crappy again.

i also tried another brand new bov my friend had. i think its just some cheapo kind. and it idled crappy again.

so im wondering. is there some special way you have to hook them up or something you have to do to get them to work right and have your car idle normal?

or do you just have to adjust it perfectly?
1992 legacy SS 5mt, Winestone Metallic.
SubiePrice88
Third Gear

Post by SubiePrice88 »

what set up are you running? Intercooled? Stock? Turbo?
-Jordan

"Nothing Stings Like a Subee"

1992 Legacy SS, 5MT, 140k, some mods ;)
1993 Legacy Wagon, 5MT, 220k!
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

Stock turbo, 02 wrx top mount, walbro 255.

i just tried both bov's again.

the first one is like a stock wrx one.

started it up and it idled and ran totally fine. but once i got into boost it started sputtering and idling spiratically. went for a quick drive and it seemed to drive fine just whenever i let it idle it would go to crap and it died once. started it back up and could smell gas.

second one. started it and it ran/idled totally fine. maybe a little low. messed with the adjustment screw a little and it would not hold boost. i would rev it up and put my hand in front of it and could feel air coming out as i was revving up. went for a drive and it just sounded really weird when it would blow off.. really high pitched and went up and down in pitch. sounded like it was struggling to get air out. whistling hissing kinda sound.

drove fine but when i put in the clutch the rpms would drop like all the way down then come back up to about normal.

went home and adjusted the screw tighter and this time like no air would come out and you couldnt hear any blowoff at all pretty much. unless i revved to about 5000/5,5000. and you could still hardly hear the tiniest noise with the hood open standing right next to it..

????
any help?

i just put it back to how it was with the bpv. 100% recirc.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

I'm not sure what all has to be done, but I'm sure its fairly alot. Trust me I like the sound of a nice loud BOV too, but theres no point if your car runs like crap. I have heard from many people on nasioc that the WRX stock BPV is much better than almost any aftermarket one with a few exceptions.

Your car is set-up for that air to be recirculated back into the system. I would recommend sticking with a BPV, I just got an extremely good deal on a Perrin recirc BPV so once I get my intercooler on I will post any noise differences over the stock WRX BPV. But like I said I would definately recommend keeping it recirculating. Many people will 2nd that
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

there is somthing else wrong with the car. its a stock WRX recert valve. the only reason that it was not recerted was the fact that the intake was not made for it.

if the car runs better without it than keep it there until you can get a new turbo with a grimmspeed screamer pipe if you want the sound.
1997 Nissan Laurel ClubS25t
2001 Legacy Gt Ltd(167awhp&165.7awtq)Best 00-04 Legacy at WCSS11(West Coast Subaru Show)
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
1991 Legacy L Wagon(Sold)(400,000+miles and running strong!!)
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

The WRX BPV is meant to be recirc'd because it stays OPEN at idle. If it's not recirc'd, it just creates a major intake leak at idle.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

asc_up wrote:The WRX BPV is meant to be recirc'd because it stays OPEN at idle. If it's not recirc'd, it just creates a major intake leak at idle.
haha wish i knew that. thats plrobly what my idle problem was.
2001 Legacy Gt Ltd(167awhp&165.7awtq)Best 00-04 Legacy at WCSS11(West Coast Subaru Show)
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Lol I apologize for not noticing that on your car at the meet/BBQ this summer!
-Aaron

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

asc_up wrote:Lol I apologize for not noticing that on your car at the meet/BBQ this summer!
its ok. if i had known that i probly could still be driving it. that sound like the hole problem. i feel real stupid. oh well i will own a 1st gen again one day. at least he has taken care of it so far.
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

damn, it made it run so bad you sold it?
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

You should probably let him know that that's the problem ;)
-Aaron

Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

^hes the one that started this thread. yeah it ran so bad i sold it, but i got my FHI 4/2pot install done on my 01 legacy.
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

O, wasn't trying to down you, I just didn't realize that it would cause THAT big of an issue but I knew it wasn't good.
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

wait so is the stock wrx bpv the little black plastic one with the arrow on it?

or is it the one one that you had on the car when i bought it?

the one you had on it before, when i put it back on yesterday it idled fine until i revved it into boost. after that is when it would go to crap.

im just not gonna worry about it til i can figure out what i need or need to do to make one work lol..

there are plenty of other things that are more important. ;-)
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Use the black, plastic one. That's the stock BPV and it'll work just fine as long as you have it recirculated.
-Aaron

Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

yea the plastic one is the stock legacy one, I'm guessing he just used that with the TMIC instead of the stock WRX one. There is no problem with that alot of the guys use that.
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

yeah the big metal on is a wrx one. if its no connected it will run like shit. i mad that i didnt know that tell now. i might still have had the car right now.
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
awdimprezal
In Neutral

Post by awdimprezal »

A stock wrx bpv cannot be run-un recirculated, I found this out when first turboing my L. It will open up under idle.
1996 impreza L AWD boosted n/a 2.2. 60 trim T04E turbo, well over 200k miles, 11 psi daily. No management.
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

Mattheww044 wrote:yea the plastic one is the stock legacy one, I'm guessing he just used that with the TMIC instead of the stock WRX one. There is no problem with that alot of the guys use that.
i am using the stock legacy one lol..

i was just wondering why none of the others would work without making the car run like balls. or what i had to do to make one work.

i know some people have BOV's on these cars. and im just wondering how they got them to work and still run correctly.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

I'm using an HKS SSQV. It is meant to be run as a BOV (although, I'm now using the recirculation kit). Aftermarket BOVs are meant to stay CLOSED at idle, whereas stock BPVs are not.
-Aaron

RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

^ and thats the important thing here. you can run an aftermarket, just plug the whole on the intake where your recirc would have been. It actually helps to clear up a little room too. With mine on, and having a 4eat, i'll only ever stall while heavily blipping the throttle while idling.

I'd recomend a tune up, a new style intercooler and replace every vacuum line to insure it's properly hooked up and there is no leaks.
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)