Turbo going bad? Plz listen

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Turbo going bad? Plz listen

Post by wtdash »

I've got a noise coming from my TD05 after I get into boost and I let off the throttle. It's got a slightly metallic sound to it, which is my main concern. This noise didn't occur w/my TD04, but was there w/the VF30 I recently had installed. Take a listen and let me know. I have the stock BPV installed, so it's not a BOV. Here's the AUDIO CLIP.

You'll need to download it to open. Couldn't post it on Youtube since it's not a video??
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Turbo going bad? Plz listen

Post by Legacy777 »

Sounds kind of like wastegate flutter.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

doesnt sound good that's for sure, try it from under the hood in nuetral or park and see if your wastegate arm is moving. if not, take the downpipe off and check for in and out and up and down shaft play as well as anything abnormal(scratches, oil ect). start it up without the dp on and see if the noise is more pronounced.
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Legacy777 wrote:Sounds kind of like wastegate flutter.
I am VERY curious about this too. My car made the same sounds when i had the vf11, and now with the td04. And yes i believe it is the flutter from the flap. I can hold my wastgate actuator rod slightly open and hit the throttle and no noise, but if i don't hold it it makes that sound. Kinda sounds like a heat shield rattling. My car will make that sound on some days, and on others it wont. Its annoying. Only does it when I'm decelerating in gear. Like from 3100rpm to 1800rpm. Whats the fix?
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

From what I remember, I recall hearing it primarily at mid throttle type situations where I'm hovering around 0 boost/vacuum. More boost and it goes away, same with letting off the throttle.

Can you move the wastegate actuator arm relatively easy by hand? If so, you may need to adjust it so it's a little more snug.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

I'll check the WG arm and report back.

Thanks to all for the input.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

my wastegate arm can be moved by hand, although its kind tough. Which way should i turn my nut to make it even tighter?
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Florin1 wrote:my wastegate arm can be moved by hand, although its kind tough. Which way should i turn my nut to make it even tighter?
You loosen the nut and then turn the end of the arm, if yours is like this:

Turn it to the right to shorten (tighten)....but I'd suggest reading up on it before doing it. If there's no play- wastegate is solidly closed - I wouldn't touch it.

What I usually do is adjust it so it's about 1/2 a turn shorter than the it needs to be to fit on the pin, pull it out to fit over the pin, and put the C-clip back on. That way there's just enough tension to keep it tightly close, w/out messing w/the overall boost control (or so I hope!).

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Great detail photo... But, if you shorten the rod, won't that make the flapper even more loose? I looked at my rod and the nut is only showing 1.5-2 threads left. Is that bad?
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

you can test it with a tire pump or whatever, boost it up to your target boost and see if it starts to open.
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
sobe_death
In Neutral

Post by sobe_death »

Florin1 wrote:Great detail photo... But, if you shorten the rod, won't that make the flapper even more loose? I looked at my rod and the nut is only showing 1.5-2 threads left. Is that bad?

The wastegate flapper opens towards the downpipe, so shortening the rod will hold it tighter. Imagine the wastegate valve as moving in the same direction as the arm on the shaft.
FROM_A_DIG
In Neutral

Post by FROM_A_DIG »

sounds like compressor surge to me. could be caused by the throttle plate closing suddenly.
I'm looking For an SS or 5 spd legacy. location is 26554.