Questions about EJ20g

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

asotwavb
First Gear

Questions about EJ20g

Post by asotwavb »

I have a first generation EJ20g out of a legacy RS in my 1992 Subaru Legacy SS.

This is a VF-8 turbo charger, right? Which size injectors does this motor come with? They look like grey tops.

And lastly how efficient are these air to water intercoolers? Its using a Bosch Pump, with a motorcylce radiator. Would i better of upgrading to a top mount, or upgrading the heat exchanger?

I am running 8 PSI right now, would it be safe to run 12? Does this ECU have a fuel cut off ?

Thanks,

William
1992 Legacy Sport
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Re: Questions about EJ20g

Post by wtdash »

You'll likely need to do some searching on here and the web, but if the injectors are gray, they should be 440cc. The VF8 sounds about right for the Legacy RS - this LINK agrees.

What ECU are you running - the stock SS or did you do a harness swap w/the EJ20? If it's the SS, fuel cut is @ 13 psi, so 12 'should' be fine, but to be safe you should get a wide-band to check your AFR's so you don't go lean.

The AWICs don't get a lot of attention, since they've never been offered in the US on Subies. One of this site's most knowledgeable members installed one on his SS, and trusts it. As far as upgrading the HE, I'm not going to be much help. A top-mount is a step back, IMHO, as it'll make heat soak more likely. A FMIC has its merits, but that's a big job.

GL,
Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Don't bother getting an air/air top mount. If the AWIC isn't cutting it you can upgrade the pump/heat exchanger/reservoir. The AWIC flows about as well as any air/air intercooler Subaru ever sold. Check this article out.
90 L+ wgn
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, I put in one of the AWIC's with a custom front exchanger and pump. It should be able to handle anything you can throw at it. If you need more cooling capability, I'd suggest upgrading the front exchanger.

Here are some pictures of the exchanger I had fabbed up
http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... exchanger/

Pics of the install
http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... cradiator/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
asotwavb
First Gear

Post by asotwavb »

Thanks for all the reply's gentlemen, the swap was performed by the previous owner, and he used the standard ej22t harness and ignitor. So i guess robtune is out of the question, huh? The vehicle preforms very well at only 8 PSI, and im quite certain the injectors will not max out at 12 psi. I have a innovate LM-1 wideband i will install when i put in/modify my WRX downpipe.

I think the route i'll take is to put a temp gauge in the intercooler system to be sure, but i cant imagine i would be anywere near heatsoak at 8PSI in 50* weather.

Thanks for all of your help.

-William
1992 Legacy Sport
BC5RSRA
In Neutral

Questions about EJ20g

Post by BC5RSRA »

I own an original legacy RS type RA it has the same engine and intercooler, mine runs 11psi stock. As well if you read around you'll find out quickly that the AWIC is good until 300 hp, after that upgrades are required, line size and pump upgrade and front exchanger are good starts. As for the injectors they are 440cc grey tops. If you need any info at all I have the complete (every section) FSM.