Any good aftermarket bpv that fits our cars?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jefferson
Third Gear

Any good aftermarket bpv that fits our cars?

Post by jefferson »

My bpv is bad and I would like to find a good quality replacement that would be an easy fit. I brought home a Bosch 710n tonight and while it should work it will be some work to get done. It has different size nipples and is a 90 degree unit instead of straight through. What is used on the WRX and STi? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

I should add that this is on the stock ss setup with no intercooler.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Re: Any good aftermarket bpv that fits our cars?

Post by Mattheww044 »

I would recommend one off of an older supra (turbo obviously) its the exact same thing as ours but metal. I am not aware of any direct replacement aftermarket ones, but definately let me know if you find something
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

Toyota wants $127 for theirs and Subaru wants $97. I am going to take the one off a parts car and see how long it lasts as it is only a couple of years younger than the one on my car. I am pretty sure that the higher boost killed it.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

Well you can get a used Supra one as well. And yea thats possible, I thouht thats what happened to mine but im pushing 17 on the stock one and its fine so I don't know. Might just be one of things that goes bad and pushing 17 just pushed it over the edge
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I go to the local pick and pulls often enough and have never seen a supra turbo in any of them. I will pick one up if I see one, but I am kind of doubtful.

Jeff
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

o yea, probably won't be too easy finding one in a junkyard, and if you get lucky enough to find a turbo supra, the BPV is probably gone. Try the forums for supras. My friend got like 3 for $40 I think it was and he sold one to me and i think one of them was bad and used the other one himself. Beware though, it is like Nasioc, alot of those guys think their parts are worth gold
darkcrave
Second Gear

Post by darkcrave »

I bought this one, was made for our cars.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... _716wt_689
Tune
TMIC
Fuel
Taillight
n2x4 wrote: Seriously, anything will fit. Subarus are LEGOs.
Rubasu
First Gear

Post by Rubasu »

I just caped off the recirculate hole on the elbow and put a turbo-XS RFL on mine and its in the stock location, but ill tell you that this thing is a head turner @ 12 psi. oh and the response is amazing, and i get better fuel millage! :-D Used paid $60. sorry its a BOV not what u want? :(
90 legacy Wagon LS Special, JDM closed deck 20g, custom 25d heads f/ metic motors, APS GC FMIC, 740cc, VF34, 4.11 F/D, Turboxs RFL blow off valve, now with piggyback.
94 Legacy SS R.I.P (parts car now for 90)
97 Legacy Outback (sold)
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

That what I was looking for. Did you get yours from the UK or does someone here handle those? The only ones I have come across are the 90 degree ones.

Jeff
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

Rubasu wrote:I just caped off the recirculate hole on the elbow and put a turbo-XS RFL on mine and its in the stock location, but ill tell you that this thing is a head turner @ 12 psi. oh and the response is amazing, and i get better fuel millage! :-D Used paid $60. sorry its a BOV not what u want? :(
Can't really do that w/o after market MAF or engine management. I'm a bit surprised that your not having trouble at idle. When I put on my IC I tried running atmospheric. It ran like stink! Instant spool and a noticeable diff in accelleration but at idle I had to keep revving it to prevent the engine from cutting off. Adjusting idle did not help as the needed increase was too great.
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
Rubasu
First Gear

Post by Rubasu »

ya i have been running that bov for a while aand have hade no problem what so ever. runs great, beat 2 wrx,s this past weekend!
90 legacy Wagon LS Special, JDM closed deck 20g, custom 25d heads f/ metic motors, APS GC FMIC, 740cc, VF34, 4.11 F/D, Turboxs RFL blow off valve, now with piggyback.
94 Legacy SS R.I.P (parts car now for 90)
97 Legacy Outback (sold)
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

The Forge part number is FMDVMSP02. This replaces our stock unit. It runs $130 plus frt, Mine should be showing up any day. When I get it on I think I will install my updated Revtronix chip and see how things work. I am fairly certain the higher boost levels the chip provided put an end to the high mileage almost 20 year old stock piece.
I know you lose alot of performance if they leak too. I ordered mine from Forge Motorsport in Florida.

Jeff
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just curious, have you tried blowing into the stock BPV to see if it leaks? My stock plastic BPV doesn't leak and seems to be holding up ok.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I haven't yet, but will when I replace it. The original I had on the car had a big vacuum leak through the diaphragm and was in bypass mode most of the time. It also sounded funny and the one on the car now is sounding the same way at times. I figure the best thing to do is replace it with a new unit. I will update when the Forge comes in and I get it on.

Jeff
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I would try to keep the stock BPV if possible. Some will say it doesn't affect anything, but they haven't exactly analyzed their exhaust.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I received the Forge bypass valve which I installed tonight. I haven't driven the car so I will have to post if I notice any difference. I could not detect any leaks on the stock Denso unit either vacuum or pressure so I don't know why it was sounding funny on the overrun. At least I have confidence in the new unit and won't have to worry about the added boost from the Revtronix chip.

Jeff
sliverumble
First Gear

Post by sliverumble »

Im using a factory audi (i think) bosch BPV. My factory one took a poo so I went to a salvage yard and got it for 5 bucks. Works great, and actually sounds sweet I think. Decent woosh even though its a recirc. Im running 14 psi and it seems to hold just fine. Its got a 90 degree inlet/outlet
92 SS
-TD04
-3" dp/ turbo back w/HKS can
-wrx/legacy susp combo
-Tribeca Front Sway
-whiteline rear sway
-wrx front brakes
-sti lip
-ver.4 sti tranny w/rear diff
-wrx tmic
-mbc @14.5-15psi w/HKS FCD
-Apexi turbo timer
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

I have 3 non leaking Bosch Saab BPVs for sale if anyone is interested. PM me for details. I ran one on my car and it made literally no noise I'm not sure why but it holds up to boost just fine, a much better design than our stock one from what I hear