Help only 7psi sucks

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Potter
First Gear

Help only 7psi sucks

Post by Potter »

So i will start by saying i got a 06 wrx td04 with 30,000 miles on it. No shaft play in any direction. I was boosting 11psi on mt vf11 and i was hoping to push 14psi with the td04. We put it on a couple months ago and all i have been able to hit is 7psi and it sucks. I put a new boost controller on with it all the way closed and i took a test drive no boost. So i slowly increased the boost controller till the last run i did and it hit 7psi and wouldnt go anymore even if i turned the controller up more. So thats the problem, please tell me the fix. I was told it would be my waste gate spring or that the little pill in the waste gate side isnt there will make it not boost over 7psi. So please help me out people. I hate sticking with my buddys evo and wrx till 7psi and then there gone.
92 Turbo Legacy 2.2L
96 Explorer 4.0L
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Re: Help only 7psi sucks

Post by Mattheww044 »

are you sure the boost controller is hooked up right? did you plug off the lines that aren't being used on the stock Boost Control Solenoid (BCS)? Also, you will not be able to hit more than fuel cut as far as boosting goes, i believe it is 13psi if I remember right ( I've had an FCD or fuel cut defender for awhile now so I can hit 17psi).
Rubasu
First Gear

Post by Rubasu »

what car is this in? more info!
90 legacy Wagon LS Special, JDM closed deck 20g, custom 25d heads f/ metic motors, APS GC FMIC, 740cc, VF34, 4.11 F/D, Turboxs RFL blow off valve, now with piggyback.
94 Legacy SS R.I.P (parts car now for 90)
97 Legacy Outback (sold)
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

i think if you add some sort of restriction to your vacuum line, it helps. like a plastic nipple but not hollowed out too big, maybe pinhole size
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Potter
First Gear

Post by Potter »

Its on a 1992 Turbo 5 speed legacy. The BCS is looped and the boost controller is hooked up right. I was told about that pill restrictor in the line on the waste gate side but i have no clue where to get one. It sucks that this is happening because i replaced my plugs and wires and did a fresh oil change and new valve cover gaskets and the car now snaps to 7psi and just sits there. If my check engine light is on it will hit 11 psi which is kinda weird i found that out the other day in the car wash when my check engine light came on. It also has a 06 tmic and a haulman boost controller and a hks ssqv on it with a coffee can intake and a 3in exhaust.
92 Turbo Legacy 2.2L
96 Explorer 4.0L
subydaddy
First Gear

Post by subydaddy »

Have you tried disconnecting the line off the wastegate?

Do that and your boost will rise, just do a quick run to see if you can get past 7psi.

If you still can't pass 7, you may have a boost leak, bad boost gauge, or... I dunno, wastegate spring stuck partially open? Doubt it though because your psi is constantly at a set number.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

the pill restrictor can be made. Just take a plastic dowel that your vac line will barely fit on and drill a hole thru the dowel, use the smallest drill bit you can find to start off with. one the size of a sewing needle
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT