TD04 question

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

slaytalera
In Neutral

TD04 question

Post by slaytalera »

Hey guys, the turbos shot on my 92SS, and im gonna replace it with a TD04. I just want to verify, assuming i DO NOT have an intercooler(for the time being) the only thing i need is the 90 degree elbow for the intake to inlet, right?

also, if i were to add a AWIC from a JDM model in about a month or so, what would i need as far as hoses from the turbo?
vrg3
Vikash

Re: TD04 question

Post by vrg3 »

No, you need more than that. The outlet of the TD04 points sideways instead of up at a 45-degree angle like the stock turbo. Even if you reclock the TD04, though, it still wouldn't match right up; the outlet of the TD04's compressor is larger in diameter than the stock turbo's.

If you added a JDM AWIC, you'd want the stock AWIC inlet hose (or a purpose-made replacement); it would fit right up to the TD04's compressor outlet.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
slaytalera
In Neutral

Post by slaytalera »

So i need to get something to go from the outlet to the throttle body, got it. Thanks
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Right. And that pipe/hose/whatever that you rig up needs to have a fitting on it for the blowoff valve.

If you leave the TD04 in its stock clocking, you'll also have to do some rerouting of the PCV lines and such.

Honestly, I think the easiest thing probably is to intercool at the same time. If you're not ready for the AWIC, maybe you could do an air/air intercooler. A 2006 or 2007 WRX intercooler fits pretty well: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=38598

Or, if you need it, I have an AWIC with stock inlet hose that I could sell -- PM me if you need them.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

he bought my awic set up. but we found out his turbo is shot.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Ah.

I would definitely just install the air/water intercooler at the same time as the new turbo. For the time being, you can install just the interooler and not bother with the water pump, radiator, or hoses. In fact, if you fill an AWIC most of the way with coolant (not all the way or it'll overflow when it heats up), and just cap off the fittings, it'll actually work as a fairly good intercooler when driving around town, thanks to water's heat capacity.
slaytalera
In Neutral

Post by slaytalera »

vrg3 wrote:Ah.

I would definitely just install the air/water intercooler at the same time as the new turbo. For the time being, you can install just the interooler and not bother with the water pump, radiator, or hoses. In fact, if you fill an AWIC most of the way with coolant (not all the way or it'll overflow when it heats up), and just cap off the fittings, it'll actually work as a fairly good intercooler when driving around town, thanks to water's heat capacity.

hmm interesting....ill just do this then. $$ is really tight right now since i just shelled out for school otherwise id do it all in one shot