External waste gate

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Potter
First Gear

External waste gate

Post by Potter »

So just a question, has anyone on here got a external waste gate set up? I installed 2 set ups one on a 02 wagon wrx and another on a 03 sedan wrx. I love the way it sounds and it seems like a really good power gain. I just ordered up everything for my car(uppipe, waste gate, block plate for td04) and I'm wondering if it is a significant power gain on our cars? Please let me know what you'll have on your cars and I can't wait to hear feed back from every one who has done this.
92 Turbo Legacy 2.2L
96 Explorer 4.0L
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: External waste gate

Post by Legacy777 »

I know there's folks on here that have EWG's, but I couldn't really provide you any info on power gains. Hopefully, those folks that have the EWG's can chime in.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

waste of money putting it on a td04.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+does+an+exter ... gate+do%3F

i have one on my 05 LGT but i has big turbo... :P
Potter
First Gear

Post by Potter »

Why is it a waste of money? I have installed this set up on two different bug eyes and they where running the td04 and there was a nice little horse power gain.
92 Turbo Legacy 2.2L
96 Explorer 4.0L
Potter
First Gear

Post by Potter »

and sqc151 I'm not asking what it dopes I want to hear from people on here that have done the set up on our cars not other newer models
92 Turbo Legacy 2.2L
96 Explorer 4.0L
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I don't think you'll find anyone who's put an external wastegate on the stock turbo. The closest thing I can think of is the CES turbo-back exhaust with boost enhancement plate that legacy92ej22t had in his car. It's not an external wastegate, but the downpipe is a twin-dump design; it has a separate pipe for the wastegate that rejoins the downpipe further back. And, the boost enhancement plate sticks into the turbine housing to help separate the flow out of the turbine from the flow out of the wastegate. It's pretty much the closest you can get to an external wastegate while still using the internal wastegate.

I remember going for rides with him when the car was pretty much stock aside from that exhaust. I didn't have any instrumentation, but I have to say it definitely felt like a really big difference. His car easily felt like it was producing 15 or 20 more foot-pounds than mine. 'Course, that's just the butt dyno. And, of course, that exhaust was really awesome for many reasons, not just because of how it handled the wastegate.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Potter
First Gear

Post by Potter »

Alright, well all my parts are almost here and I am installing them saturday so I will let you all know how it feels and hopefully I'll have some videos for ya'll to check out
92 Turbo Legacy 2.2L
96 Explorer 4.0L
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I've also got the CES exhaust with the twin dump and would say is does make a difference.

Let us know how it turns out when you get everything installed.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Potter
First Gear

Post by Potter »

I will let you all know first
92 Turbo Legacy 2.2L
96 Explorer 4.0L
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

Potter wrote:and sqc151 I'm not asking what it dopes I want to hear from people on here that have done the set up on our cars not other newer models
if it be newer models or older models it does the same thing. but no one here is really going to put an ewg on a vf11. its just nonsense. and in all respect, you are asking if your going to get power gains. (which the ewg is not designed for on paper) which is why i posted the link so you understand its purpose. thats all, no harm intended.
Potter
First Gear

Post by Potter »

Its on the td04 not the vf11 and when I searched there where some people that had some kinda shoty posts on the ewg. I was just hoping someone would have had this done on the td04 or a vf39 on the ej22t. Sorry if i came of dickish to that response sqc151. Waste gate and td04 bracket came in today and uppipe comes tomorrow and I'm picking up gaskets before the weekend and saturday I should be throwing it all on.
92 Turbo Legacy 2.2L
96 Explorer 4.0L
Potter
First Gear

Post by Potter »

Ok so here we go, install was a breeze. Did a new uppipe with a 38mm waste gate and I did all new exhaust gaskets. Car started up perfect and idle was good. I turned the boost controller down a bit just incase didn't wanna over boost. So I got out to the street and gave it a little burp and it sounds awesome and kicks super hard. So heres the down side, I get on it and it kicks in and goes straight to 15psi at 3500rpm and after 3500rpm the waste gate surges in and out. I havent been able to address what the problem is yet but I was told it could be because the spring might be to big but idk. I just wanted to post about it after being in and possibly ask sqc151 if he knows why its surging in and out. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and it is defenatly worth it and i will let you know what it is thats holding up fool boost if I dont find out from sqc151
92 Turbo Legacy 2.2L
96 Explorer 4.0L
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

i think u answered you own question. check the spring.
Potter
First Gear

Post by Potter »

Alrighty, someone I know said that it could be the vacuum lines.
92 Turbo Legacy 2.2L
96 Explorer 4.0L