New turbo upgrade

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

-K-
Third Gear

New turbo upgrade

Post by -K- »

I'm going to use a 87-88 Ford Turbocoupe IHI. 2.3L, smallish top mount IC, stock 15psi but they run them up to 17-20psi. Sounds like a perfect match for our motor and it's bigger for sure. Plus they are like $50 at a junk yard. The only down side is it uses the Garrett flange so I have to weld on a new one on the uppipe. I was already going to make a downpipe and run new piping for a IC and intake so it's not a big deal. oh yeah, if that turbo isn't enough a Garrett T-03 will bolt in :lol: I'll let you know when I get it going.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

PSI isn't the only factor you're going to want to look at when looking for a new intercooler. You're forgetting to watch for CFM, cubic feet per minute. It doesn't matter if you're running 17 psi if you aren't getting any air. you want a high CFM number as well going thru that intercooler.

PSI doesn't make power, CFM does.
-Jason Grahn
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

No I'm only going to use the turbo. I was just talking about the car I'm getting the turbo off because you can't get compressor maps on IHI's. I think the car and engine comparision make this turbo just about right. I plan on using a Subaru air to water intercooler. The flow vs. psi is a good point that some don't seem to get.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

T-bird turbos are Garrets, not IHIs IIRC. T3s. They won't bolt right on but you can get an adapter for it. that's teh same turbo the late 80s/early 90s Saabs had. they got pretty good numbers with them. I think they had 160 or 180 hp out of a 2 liter 4. So that's our stock numbers and less displacement. also, the IC form a Saab is a nice choice I've heard. pretty big by our standards.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

What IHI do you want a comressor map for ? I have blueprints, compressor maps, and specifications.
AL(CO)
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

do you have compressor maps and such for the stock turbo?
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

yes I do would you like a copy?
al@iwtu.net
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

I would like a copy as well please:)
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Al,

If you want, you can email it to me, and I will host it......if you want to do that.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
-K-
Third Gear

IHI

Post by -K- »

That is a common mistake, most turbo Fords came with a Garrett T-3, but 87-88 T-Birds came with a IHI. Also they are 2.3L not 2L. mile hi, I can't find one any where on the web. I need to find all the numbers on the one I'm going to use, because I would love a map for it.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

I also have some info on the other IHI's (RHB 6,7 ) but it looks like I will need your e-mail to send the attachments. I see that some time ago in a post you were looking for a lightened flywheel. We manufacture one of chromoly for the n/a and might be able to come up with something for the turbo models if you still need one.
al@iwtu.net
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

ok here is the data plate off the turbo

P/N E7SE-9G438-BA
S/N 870629 012153

the Ford turbo guys say it's the biggest RHB52 around and like I said it's off a 87 T-bird if that helps Thanks,

t_krazy@lycos.com
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
93mightyS
In Neutral

Post by 93mightyS »

This is a bit off topic, but waht are the long term effects to the engine when a larger than designed turbo is installed? It must create greater heat and force on the pistons valves and block. How much will it decrease the life of the engine?
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

well, actually, if you go with a more effecient turbo, you can run the same boost pressure,and make more power with less heat. the turbo won't have to work as hard. so, upgrading is actually a good idea. heat is only an issue when you're running the stock turbo at 10-12psi and you still don't have an intercooler.
92 Legacy Turbo \ 5MT \ Silver
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

There are always trade offs and the larger turbo will usually not spool as fast and you can get to the point of diminishing returns. The part number that you have looks like it could be Ford and I have no cross reference.
The biggest RHB52 that My list gives is - trim5200 II, AR metric P20 english .78, compressor NR BRL 393 BZ, CFM at 1.5PR 233 at 2.0 PR 282,
VC # VC20, Warner Ishi part #5T-505
AL(CO)
al@iwtu.net