possibly dying turbo?!?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

antslegggy
First Gear

possibly dying turbo?!?

Post by antslegggy »

hey guys,
91 2.2 legacy turbo ss
so shes got 197,xxx on her, she still pull decently. she has a 4eat. I do keep her in healthy condition. ive noticed as of late, after a drive, maybe 15 min drive or so ( or anything longer) whenever i arrive at my destination. smoke that smells like burning oil comes out of the sides of the hood. If i open up the hood its not terrible but it is noticeable.

sometimes if i go to accelerate with the turbo, like from the low end of 3rd to let the turbo spool and carry me through the gear it feels like the turbo.... its not rough, but sometimes the turbo stumbles. its not a smooth even pull, its almost like a roll, this mainly takes place on a hill. decent hill.

now last summer I put new gasket seals in ( think thats what they are called, lil rubber seals) and oil stopped leaking onto the exhaust manifolds, and all was well, i looked at the seals, they look healthy, way healthier than the ones i replaced. my question is, is it possibly ( pretty sure the turbo has never been replaced) (prior owner also owns a wrx and an sti and a suzuki gsxr 600, the leggy turbo was an every once and awhile car not a daily) that the turbo is on its way out the door, is it time that i break down and get the rex turbo and top mount intercooler? or is there something else that im possibly missing
thanks in advance
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: possibly dying turbo?!?

Post by Legacy777 »

I would recommend trying to look for any external oil leaks, and if you find any, fix them first. If there are no external oil leaks, then yes I agree the turbo may be on its way out.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
antslegggy
First Gear

Re: possibly dying turbo?!?

Post by antslegggy »

cool, thank you muchly kind sir.