EBC & factory hose connections

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

strawman
First Gear

EBC & factory hose connections

Post by strawman »

I did a search and couldn't find conclusive info. I have transplanted a EJ22T from a wrecked Legacy wagon into a 1973 Porsche 914, and will be using the OEM ECU to run the engine in my car. In terms of engine upgrades, I have installed at TD05-16G turbo, a homebrewed fuel-cut defencer (thanks to Vikash for the great instructions!), a custom air-water intercooler system, along with an Invidia dumptube to a custom stainless steel 3" exhaust. I have ported/polished the factory cast-iron header system, including the factory uppipe. It will be primarily a track car, so smog isn't necessary (no catalytic converter and I am running a oil-water separator system instead of the factory PCV system).

I am now installing an HKS-3 electronic boost controller (EBC), but I'm unsure how I should be connecting the small-diameter hoses from the EBC in lieu of and/or in-line with the factory hoses.

I am pretty sure that I should tee the EBC into the top 4mm hose from the Boost Control Solenoid to the turbo compressor outlet.

I am also pretty sure that I should tee the EBC into the lower 5.5mm hose from Boost Control Solenoid to the port just behind the throttle plate.

Should I tee into the middle 5.5mm hose from the Boost Control Solendoid to the wastegate actuator, or just cap-off that line at the Boost Control Solendoid and let the EBC control the wastegate actuator?

Anyone have direct experience with this (or similar?) setup? Thanks in advance!

Geoff
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: EBC & factory hose connections

Post by Legacy777 »

Geoff,

A couple comments....how do you have the oil-water separator setup? You need to have a way for the crankcase to see intake vacuum during non-boost & boost events. Normally this is accomplished by the stock setup by going into the PCV valve and pre-turbo elbow inlet. If you've rigged things up to go through the separator first, that should work fine, but if the main vent on the crank case is just going to atmosphere, you may see some issues with oil consumption. This is more an FYI in case you see something in the future.

As for the EBC, did it come with its own boost control solenoid? It should have it's own solenoid box with three ports on it. You should just replace the stock solenoid with the one that came with the HKS unit. One port on the HKS unit should be labeled inlet, this should come from the compressor side of the turbo, another port will be outlet, this should go to the wastegate solenoid on the turbine side of the turbo, and the third port will be a vent that should go back into the intake resonator box.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
strawman
First Gear

Post by strawman »

Thanks Josh for the comments. I have completely bypassed the PCV system in my current set-up; looks like I'll need to re-incorporate it.

Thanks for the advice on the EBC, too. I think I've got it set up correctly now. Just need to get the engine running.

I've confirmed spark and have used my partial copy of the FSM to check pin-outs on the ECU, but I'm now checking my fuel system. I am definitely getting fuel pressure to the fuel rail, but I'm getting no fuel back to the tank. My partial copy of the FSM only includes pages 1-4 and page ten of section 2-8 Fuel System, so my next step is to search this website or possible NASIOC to find pictures of ins/outs at fuel pump and at the engine to see if I've hooked 'em up correctly.

Geoff
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Geoff,

So you have fuel pressure from the supply, but no return fuel? How are you checking this? I'd suggest verifying that the supply line from the fuel filter is going to the top barbed fitting on the intake manifold. That is the supply, the one below is the return. If these are reversed, that could be causing a problem.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm