bigger turbo more or less stress

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

turbo970
Third Gear

bigger turbo more or less stress

Post by turbo970 »

next spring thinking of upgrading the turbo. not worried about power just want least amount of stress on the engine. will a bigger turbo increase or increase the stress on the motor
georryan
Fourth Gear

Re: bigger turbo more or less stress

Post by georryan »

What do you have in mind? The turbos on these cars are pretty low stress to begin with. They operate safely at stock levels without an intercooler. Are you wanting to raise boost safely for more power? Lower boost but keep the same power? Power and stress isn't directly related to boost. It is more related to airflow and fuel. If you go with a larger turbo you have fitment issues and potentially need an intercooler. Plus it will be more taxing on the engine (hence the needed upgrades) unless you lower the boost. Some of the waste gates on these larger turbos keep the boost levels higher than our stock turbo.

I would suggest leaving your car stock until you do some more research and can get a handle on how a turbo works and affects the car, what work is required to change along with additional changes to support it, and what your actual goals are.

The simplest thing to do for your car would be to leave it stock and make sure everything is working correctly (ie correctly functioning bypass valve, no vacuum leaks, etc). Other than that get a non turbo, making the engine less complex and less prone to unintended stresses due to a more complex system.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

my question more of the air flow. ie lil turbo is more restricted that a upgraded turbo. i know i'll have to do injectors and fuel pump uprades. but i'm not looking to get 300hp.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Unless you're running some form of aftermarket engine management, you will not be able to get 300 hp on the stock ECU.

To add to what Ryan pointed out, I would suggest setting up a plan of what your goal is and then layout the equipment and costs to acheive that goal. (Also, are you wanting 300 crank hp or wheel hp) For example, if you want 300 wheel hp, you'll likely injectors larger than 550 cc/min, a cam for the stock heads or different heads, larger turbo, engine management, etc etc.

Laying out your plan will help you make the goal attainable and layout a path to accomplish it. If you just say you want 300 hp.....there are still a lot of questions as to how are you going to achieve that, what's it going to cost, etc.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

i'm not worring about hp. i'm talking restriction. kinda like putting a 3" exhaust on a car that came with 2" exhaust. because it flows better.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The turbo isn't going to be a restriction. You may reach the limits of what it can do and then you'll need a bigger one, but until that, I wouldn't really mess with it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

ok cool. thanks josh