Turbo/Intake Question

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

92ColoradoTurbo
First Gear

Turbo/Intake Question

Post by 92ColoradoTurbo »

I've been looking through A LOT of posts/threads about how to do the td04 and tmic swap (i got them both! :D ) but I'm having a hard time visualizing the setup.
Does it go: air filter box -> maf sensor -> coffee cup mod -> 90 bend samco pipe -> turbo inlet (front side-hole of shiny part of turbo) -> y-pipe on bottom side of tmic -> tmic -> throttle body? [-> = to]
Is there something I'm missing? like more hosing? I know the coolant line and oil line have to hook up to the turbo but I'm just talking about the intake part.
And where do i get a y-pipe set? I have an 06 tmic
A diagram or pictures would be much appreciated! thanks :-D
Chris
1992 SS Liquid Silver Metallic 5MT AWD, 3in TBE, TD04, 06 TMIC, MBC, Coffee Cup Mod, 04 STi Struts
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Turbo/Intake Question

Post by Legacy777 »

That sounds mostly correct. You still will need the stock plastic 90 degree piece after the MAF sensor. That will go into the coffee cup mod. You don't need that 90 deg samco hose unless you're stock piece is broken. You will need some sort of coupler between the samco hose and the 90 deg short radius turbo inlet hose.

Hopefully others with more direct experience can chime in.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Re: Turbo/Intake Question

Post by wtdash »

Hi,
Ebay has y-pipes that'll work.

It's not a direct fit as you'll need to cut the hose from the turbo to they y-pipe to fit....and it depends on the turbo....e.g., f you upgrade you may need a new hose.

And you'll have work to make the PCV lines route around the different turbo and to use a different BPV setup - you can use the stock EJ22T one, but requires some work. I'm not sure if the WRX BPV connected to the IC works w/out hitting the throttle/cruise cables and /or the turbo's coolant tank - gets kinda tight in there.
Keep looking on here for more info.

Got some good Pics w/this search term in Google: legacy turbo wrx tmic
Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T