Turbo leaking oil everywhere

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

turboboxer92
First Gear

Turbo leaking oil everywhere

Post by turboboxer92 »

Help i need some advice with the turbo. Its leaking oil outta where the 2 pieces are conjoined together. Im not sure what to call it, the bezel?... anyways its seaping out of the turbo itself idk if there is a gasket there to replace cus i want to rebuild if possible. looks like a gasket can fix it but yeah i wish i had a picture and a laser pointer haha. (ITs where the exhaust half meets the compressor side need sadvice seriously.
turboboxer92
First Gear

Re: Turbo leaking oil everywhere

Post by turboboxer92 »

Another question Is it worth fixing?????? i dont want to replace it with the td04 yet im working in stages
Doaomo
First Gear

Post by Doaomo »

I've found that most vf11's up for sale are beat and high miles. However, vf11's are only $60+/- and gets replaced rather than reconfigured for TD04 swap.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Can you identify which piece it might be from these pictures?

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... s/ej22t/27
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
turboboxer92
First Gear

Post by turboboxer92 »

umm maybe im going to forget about that atm but idk of this has anything to do with but i drove to work today and as soon as i give it any substantial gas the turbo sounds like its spinning insanely fast. The boost pressure is still there but some reason the boost keeps climbing and climing until i hit fuel cut and i dont want to blow it up. right after 2500rpm it just goes nuts. i can control the turbo by driving like ur grandmother but i have to go so slow its retarded. Not sure what is going wrong and i read about the BCS sticking but it causes low boost not the other way around. I took it to a subaru place and asked 4 different people know one had a clue. Has anyone run into this before??? Tomorrow im taking apart my intake again and throroughly examining my vaccum lines in case i missed something but idk any ideas
turboboxer92
First Gear

Post by turboboxer92 »

oh and about the pictures i cant exactly tell reason being is a never saw my turbo while its off my car so not really sure where its coming from lol
:?:
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Regarding your over boosting issue, check to make sure there is a vacuum line coming from the compressor side of the turbo to the top port on the boost control solenoid (BCS) and then the middle port has a vacuum line that goes to the turbo's wastegate solenoid. Make sure there is no oil in those lines or in the BCS. Use some compressed air to blow them out if there is oil in there, and it probably wouldn't hurt to clean them with brake cleaner. If everything is clear and you still have the problem, the BCS may be bad. You can take the vacuum line and run it directly from the compressor side of the turbo to the wastegate solenoid. This will give you less boost, but keep you from hitting fuel cut.

Here are some pictures of how the vacuum lines should look.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... s/ej22t/32
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

turboboxer92
First Gear

Post by turboboxer92 »

thanks yes i took a look at it once again yesterday and found that the vacuum line coming from the wastegate actuator was split on the bottom allowing all that air to be escaping. This must have happened when i was moving them out of my way doing the valve cover gasket. Some of them are very crispy!
turboboxer92
First Gear

Post by turboboxer92 »

quick ? I heard these cars are famous for evaporating oin into the intake system. THat would explain all the oil and gas smelling goop in my intake. Is there a catch pot for that to filter it out i want to instal a TMIC but i dont want it getting all nastified with oil.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You can install a catch can. I'd recommend installing it between the pipe coming from the rear center block and the inlet piping & pcv valve.

Check out this thread for more info on the PCV system and how it works.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50906
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

turboboxer92
First Gear

Post by turboboxer92 »

ur the best guys i love this forum! thanks i gotta post pics soon and make build logs when i get my camera back from my parents :/