Weird things are happening after I tried to install mbc

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Nibbib
First Gear

Weird things are happening after I tried to install mbc

Post by Nibbib »

So yesterday I was going to put my mbc in my wagon and I couldn't find a happy spot ( no matter which way I turned it it was wanting to go to 20lbs) so I took it off and re hooked up the stock one and now it's going to 15lbs my wagon doesn't do anything deferent it's just boosting higher before with the stock on hooked up I would only see 9-11lbs of boost and car doesn't hit fuel cut or anything all the hoses are hooked up right I tried to reset the computer by in hooking the battery...

So if anyone could help that would be great

My setup is air/water intercooler 16g that's port and polished 3in down pipe and that's it
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: Weird things are happening after I tried to in stall mbc

Post by James614 »

Does the 16G have a 10psi waste gate? You can try hooking the turbo outlet nipple directly to the waste gate and see what it does.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Nibbib
First Gear

Post by Nibbib »

I'm not sure the car came with the turbo on it already but I don't mind having 15lbs but I know the hitach maf can't handle that ill try that later today
Nibbib
First Gear

Post by Nibbib »

Now if the stock boost controller went out would it cause the boost not to have a limit?
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Yeah, if the BCS can't open the waste gate it will just boost to fuel cut. It puzzles me that a MBC would do that too, though, as most are just a ball and spring and there's really nothing to break. I would imagine a vacuum hose cracked if its not an installation issue.

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Nibbib
First Gear

Post by Nibbib »

Well I have a turbo xs mbc and I lost the install papers but right now the stock boost controller is hooked up so hopefully if I just replace it it will be fixed...
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Most MBC's are the same, side port goes to the waste gate and bottom port to he compressor nipple.

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Weird things are happening after I tried to install mbc

Post by Legacy777 »

The only thing I can think of is it was not hooked up properly and/or there may be gunk in the lines that is causing you issues.

If you are 100% positive that the lines are hooked up properly, see this diagram. Then I would suggest taking the lines off, and blowing some brake cleaner & compressed air through them to make sure there's no obstruction.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Nibbib
First Gear

Re: Weird things are happening after I tried to install mbc

Post by Nibbib »

Well I took my intake apart again and found the line going to the waste gate is a two peace hose and it came unhooked and so I hooked it all but up and it goes to 8-11lbs I might try to do the mbc again and ill post a picture so I can see if i hooked it up right ill do what was mentioned before on how to hook it up