TD04 clocking questions/help

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

goderd
In Neutral

TD04 clocking questions/help

Post by goderd »

Hi guys, just looking for some tips here. I bought my legacy sport in 2009 and the previous owner installed a td04. He did not install an intercooler, so I am assuming that he had to clock the compressor side to get it tilted up the way it is.

I want to install my slanty intercooler,and believe it should be set back to horizontal. Assuming I am correct, can this be done without removing the turbo?

Any help is very apreciated.

Shaun.
92 Sport 5MT
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: TD04 clocking questions/help

Post by James614 »

I don't recall the TD04 being able to be clocked like that but if it is the case, you'll definitely need to take it out. The TD04 install threads show you how to remove it. Would you mind posting a pic of what your intake/turbo looks like?
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
goderd
In Neutral

Post by goderd »

James614 wrote:I don't recall the TD04 being able to be clocked like that but if it is the case, you'll definitely need to take it out. The TD04 install threads show you how to remove it. Would you mind posting a pic of what your intake/turbo looks like?
Hey here are some photos of how it is right now. I tried to take the first picture with the camera as close to horizonal as I could so you could see the turbo's orientation. I'm pretty sure the guy clocked it because the waste gate actuator has a new hole and is just mounted with one bolt. The turbo sure looks like it's really pointing upwards. I think I need it pointing right at the throttle body to make the intercooler connect up nicely.
Here is another one:

Thanks,
Shaun.
92 Sport 5MT
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Sure is an odd setup there. Well, youre right about wanting the outlet horizontal. The inter cooler should mostly bolt-on directly, as that's how theycame stock. I've never clocked a turbo so it'll be interesting to see how it works out for you.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, that's been clocked. You'll want to get the compressor outlet as close to the horizontal axis as you can, and yes you will need to remove the turbo to do this.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm