Turbo Compressor Housing change-out

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Turbo Compressor Housing change-out

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

So, I have a TD05(H?)-16G that was modified to work with the factory intake setup, so it has a 90 degree elbow welded to it and the output is clocked upwards (it's the special one Deadbolt used to sell before he disappeared, not the normal 90 degree inlet). I would like the outlet to point straight to the side to facilitate easier intercooler fitment (my current hodgepodge of silicone connectors has a tendency to pop loose ALL the time). I was wondering if I could get just the compressor housing and switch it out easily. It's a good turbo, so I am not looking to spend the cash on a new one just yet.

I looked it up online, and all I could seem to find was Kinugawa with a compressor housing available. Not sure of the brand, so I would be hesitant to run their full turbos, but cast and machined hard parts should be relatively worry-free.

If I can, I was going to get a standard straight inlet and use a silicon 90 and an aluminum coupler to attach to the bottom of the overly complicated factory elbow piece if at all possible.

I am in the process of getting parts together for another motor that is going to use an under-the-manifold intake design, so I would not need to contend with the compressor housing when I do this (going to have enough other things to contend with).
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Turbo Compressor Housing change-out

Post by Legacy777 »

Without knowing if there are any differences on the compressor housing it would be difficult to say. Assuming they are the same (internally) I would think it would work, but in this circumstance until you try it I don't think you'll know for sure.

Have you considered taking the current compressor housing off and having the 90 degree inlet cut off and welded back on?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I have considered that, but I would have to get it modified twice if I go that route (once for each intake setup). That housing should be the same internally barring any internal modifications by deadbolt on the current one. I may get it to try, then if it doesn't fit with the 90 degree setup, I can just hold onto it for when I swap everything else.

Sent from my mind using telepathy
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I guess my main question is whether the 90 degree elbow to the inlet will fit or not. I am willing to go into uncharted territory with the compressor housing, but am sure someone can say if the elbow works.

Sent from my mind using telepathy

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Could you re-clock the turbo for a better fitment?

Regarding Kinugawa - I have not personally used them yet, but I have done some research on them before and heard good things. Their a newer Korean?(if I recall) company that's small. They use good materials, have good craftsmen ship, and balance their turbos unlike most eBay stuff(which is where they are commonly found)
93 impreza rally muffin
93 legacy ss Tarmac Terminator
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

The problem is I can't re-clock it, since the 90 degree inlet is welded to the compressor housing, if I pointed the outlet where I wanted it, the inlet would be pointing at the throttle body. It is welded to basically the same orientation as the stock little VF11.

Good to hear your thoughts on the company. I may just bite the bullet and try everything out. The worst that can happen is it doesn't work and I am still stuck with what I have.....

Also, it looks like your rally muffin has a setup similar to what I am going with. 2.3l stoker and EJ20H heads (very similar to the EJ25D, IIRC).

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS