What VF turbo is a straight bolt on?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93legacySS
In Neutral

What VF turbo is a straight bolt on?

Post by 93legacySS »

I have a 93 legacy sedan turbo automatic USDM. I was wondering what VF turbo is a straight bolt on?
mike-tracy

Re: What VF turbo is a straight bolt on?

Post by mike-tracy »

Hi 93LegacySS, welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, the VF11 is the only turbo that fits these cars with no modification.

Now, if you wanted to buy an intercooler, then you could fit pretty much any turbo that came on an EJ series single turbo engine (ej20g, ej20k, ej257, etc etc).

Your next question: What intercooler is a straight bolt on? Answer: none. And the only intercoolers that fit well (dimensionally speaking, not fitment wise) are the 92-96 WRX ej20g "slanty" intercooler, and the 06-07 USDM WRX intercoolers (certain foresters have the same/similar enough intercooler that will work as well). Each require more parts to fit, such as silicone 90* bends, custom routed BPV (boost pressure valve), etc.

You have a cool car, but at this stage there is very, very little upgrade parts that are straight "bolt on." If you like to get your hands dirty, and make this into a cool project, then this is the car for you. If you have shops do all the work for you, then you could easily spend $10k (or far, far more) just makeing it reliable, and as fast and handle as well as an STI. Or half that or less if you do all your own work. ;)
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
93legacySS
In Neutral

Post by 93legacySS »

I see! Thank you. I'm very mechanically encllined on turbod cars just not this exact car haha. Also what blow off valve is runnable? Again if easy to install or one that is pretty close to bolt on with some different hoses
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I don't have experience with blow off valves. These cars run pretty rich as it is, and from what I've read, a BOV makes em run even richer. I have seen a couple cars on here that mounted a BOV to the 06-07 WRX intercooler (since you can actually buy one that fits that car!).

Heres a vid of a particular BOV on an automatic WRX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vXH6kWfTe0
That constant chirp every time you let off the throttle would drive me nuts! lol. They sound way better on manual cars IMO.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

If you use an 02'-07' Intercooler, you can use any blow off valve with the 02-07 flange. I have used APS, TurboXS, and HKS, and while they're cool and all, I agree with Mike. Recirc is the way to go with these cars, they run so much smoother. You can use the stock valve, or an aftermarket recirc valve.
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
93legacySS
In Neutral

Post by 93legacySS »

So to run a different turbo what all do I need? Don't really want to intercooler yet. Just a 90 degree turbo inlet pipe? Out let looks like it would work with other turbos
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

To run a different turbo you will need an intercooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Not necessarily; you can run a different turbo, but shouldn't increase the boost without an intercooler.

Almost all the other turbos besides the vf11 have a horizontal outlet vs. the vf11's angled upward outlet. Because of this, you will need to put together fittings to make it tie back into the throttle body and bypass valve. It's usually easier to just install a TMIC to connect everything together.

So you need the 90 deg inlet and you need to deal with the outlet piping differences to run another turbo.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

You can bolt any turbo on, and figure out a way to hook it to your throttle body. But you should really intercool your car before you add a bigger turbo. It's pointless without one, really. Adding the TMIC is fairly easy, and you can usually find them already setup for a Legacy. I have one, if you're interested. $120 shipped with a Samco Y Pipe.
93legacySS
In Neutral

Post by 93legacySS »

Ok. What intercooler fits the best? And what all do I need to make it fit. Links?
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

You can find all this information in the stickies.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm