vf-12 on my '91

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kleinkid
Fourth Gear

vf-12 on my '91

Post by kleinkid »

Could the shaft bushing fail and rotate inside its housing?. Had a loud screeching sound that went away after about 15 sec., then noticed heavy smoke out exhaust pipe. Have done no diagnosis, just went home and parked it.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: vf-12 on my '91

Post by Legacy777 »

If the turbo lost oil pressure or there was something that blocked full flow, it's possible the bushing failed.

I'd check for shaft play on the turbo's compressor side as an indication of failure.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Don't think oil flow was blocked, but, pulled the turbo this week and at least 1/8" shaft play, oily turbine end. Have a brand new vf-23 on hand, ported, coated, to use. Will need to plumb for front entry though. searching this forum for ideas, and have my Legacy Performance consultant, Mike Tracy, lending some ideas.
RoughDiamond
First Gear

Post by RoughDiamond »

I know this is an old post, but for future reference, the VF-10/11/12 (probably more, but only those I've personally confirmed) shaft bushing/bearings are NOT an interference (press) fit into the housing. The bushing just sets into the spot for it, a near-zero or TINY amount of clearance. I believe they do this so they can achieve the shaft axial and radial play specs they are after without relying on a precise bearing-to-shaft spec.
1991 Legacy SS (BC) EJ22T // 4EAT // Pewter Metallic (Sold)
1991 Legacy SS (BC) EJ22T // 5MT // Rio Red (Sold)

1991 Legacy SSRS (BC) EJ20G (Full COP and AWIC Swap) // 5MT // White Pearl Tri-Coat Africa Rally replica in progress.