Turbo Cooling

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SubyFusion
Second Gear

Turbo Cooling

Post by SubyFusion »

I am going all original stock ej22t and was wondering if the old style design will be fine when shutting off after hard driving. will the oil in the turbo lines boil? is it worth putting in a pump to circulate oil or coolant?? new to all this and am just worried, any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Brian
1992 Legacy L (AWD )(5MT)[2.5RS Trans] EJ22T Swap in Progress
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re: Turbo Cooling

Post by SILINC3R »

As long as you have the stock turbo tank running coolant through the turbo, still set up you shouldn't have an issue with cooling. You can run a turbo timer, I am running one however I am not running coolant through my turbo. There is some info on the subject if you dig around. I know it isn't necessary on new cars but regardless. You shouldn't drive balls to the wall and then just shut the car down.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Turbo Cooling

Post by Legacy777 »

Brian,

To add to what Tony posted, the stock cooling system provides some small amounts of coolant circulation due to convection currents in the coolant. I agree with Tony, don't drive the car hard and immediately shut it off, but for normal driving there shouldn't be a problem.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm