Is it dead, Bones?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

RoughDiamond
First Gear

Is it dead, Bones?

Post by RoughDiamond »

While pulling apart my 190K turbo due to out-of-spec shaft play, I noticed a few cracks on the turbine housing. To me, this doesn't look good. Alternatives? I'm not looking at swapping into a TD04 right now as I'd go that route with an intercooler and I just don't have those funds to do it right ATM (Christmas and the fiancee's birthday, you know.. :roll: )

I DO have a competent turbo guy around town with PLENTY of cores, I'll get the casting for the turbine housing and see if he has a good one but the shaft also has a touch of scoring from the worn bearings so I'll probably need one too, plus a balance.. Shame, cause this thing was still sealed and no wheel wear. :?

If he'll cut me a deal, I'll stick with my VF11.. otherwise, any suggestions on a like-stock replacement? Quick spool and can work within the stock ECU maps?

Info Edit: As far as I can tell and from the looks of it and PO (the REAL one, not this guy I got it from.. idiot..) this is the original turbo. Stamped on the compressor housing: VF 11 9005
1991 Legacy SS (BC) EJ22T // 4EAT // Pewter Metallic (Sold)
1991 Legacy SS (BC) EJ22T // 5MT // Rio Red (Sold)

1991 Legacy SSRS (BC) EJ20G (Full COP and AWIC Swap) // 5MT // White Pearl Tri-Coat Africa Rally replica in progress.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Re: Is it dead, Bones?

Post by wtdash »

Hi
Pretty sure the VF11 is the only one w/that clocked outlet AND the 90° elbow on the inlet. If you take a look on here you may find a turbo that can be clocked, such as the TD04.

I'd be surprised if your turbo guru can fix yours for less than the cost of a TD04 upgrade.......which works fine w/the stock ECU, Injectors, etc....just the plumbing that's a PITA.

GL, TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'm only aware of the VF11 to have the specific inlet/outlet orientation so you can keep the stock intake piping. If you want to stay with the vf11 I'd suggest seeing if you can find a cheap used one for sale.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
RoughDiamond
First Gear

Post by RoughDiamond »

Luckily, I found one on ebay, advertised as good, used with no shaft play with an intercooler.. looks to be from a ver 1 ej20... So I've got it on the way. Thanks for the advice, guys! I'll just keep this one for spare parts and maybe practice my cast iron welding... :smt043

Side note: I thought only the 5MT EJ22T had the VF11 and the 4EAT had the VF10?
1991 Legacy SS (BC) EJ22T // 4EAT // Pewter Metallic (Sold)
1991 Legacy SS (BC) EJ22T // 5MT // Rio Red (Sold)

1991 Legacy SSRS (BC) EJ20G (Full COP and AWIC Swap) // 5MT // White Pearl Tri-Coat Africa Rally replica in progress.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

All us models used VF11
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

RoughDiamond wrote:Luckily, I found one on ebay, advertised as good, used with no shaft play with an intercooler.. looks to be from a ver 1 ej20... So I've got it on the way. Thanks for the advice, guys! I'll just keep this one for spare parts and maybe practice my cast iron welding... :smt043

Side note: I thought only the 5MT EJ22T had the VF11 and the 4EAT had the VF10?
TD04 or TD05? Either way, you'll thank the VF-11 for dieing on you once it's running with the bigger snail.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.