Boost cutting out

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

AlaskanLegacy
In Neutral

Boost cutting out

Post by AlaskanLegacy »

Stock 94 Turbo wagon, no engine mods or add ons other than a boost gauge. Will be boosting normally making around 9 pounds of boost and all of a sudden I’ll be making what feels like no boost, can hear the turbo spool get quieter and my gauge doesn’t read over 5 pounds and I can’t feel that boost at all. Engine runs fine and no codes or CEL, just no boost. Sometimes it lasts 10 seconds and sometimes I can turn the car off and let it sit for 3 hours and come back and it still is making no boost. Then I’ll be driving it along making no boost and I’ll get into the gas, the gauge will go to 5 but I feel and hear almost nothing, and all of a sudden I’ll get my boost back and my car will spool up and take off. Looking for some input from you guys with a little bit more knowledge, thanks!
jefferson
Third Gear

Re: Boost cutting out

Post by jefferson »

I would look at your bypass valve. For the longest time I didn't know mine was stuck open, I just thought that was the way the car ran. Didn't have a boost gauge at the time. One day it suddenly ran a lot better and then went back to the way it had been running. New bypass valve and it runs good all the time.
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
AlaskanLegacy
In Neutral

Post by AlaskanLegacy »

Awesome, will definitely make sure to check it out. Any tests I can do to check for failure or is the only option to buy a new one and test it out?
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I would try blowing through it and then pull a vacuum on it to see what changes if anything.
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.