VF-10 IHI turbo only for automatic legacy’s

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

JimBos Legacy
First Gear

VF-10 IHI turbo only for automatic legacy’s

Post by JimBos Legacy »

I’ve seen many threads saying the VF-10 turbo only come on automatic legacy’s, yet I own a manual 92’ Legacy GT that runs a VF-10. I figured this out after swapping it out for a TD05-16g. No clue why everyone says it only comes in the automatics, but it isn’t true. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JimBo

1992 JDM Subaru Legacy GT wagon
mike-tracy

Re: VF-10 IHI turbo only for automatic legacy’s

Post by mike-tracy »

USDM legacys got the VF11 on either transmission. You positive that turbo's been on your engine for the last 25 years? And if so, is that engine original to the car? I have a feeling that the auto turbo cars suffered less abuse over time. Certainly their cranks don't have nearly the amount of in/out play the manuals do, from the many that I've seen.

I thought all the Series 1 GT's were auto, and the RS were manuals? (Not talking about the 1-year only USDM Legacy GT, that was an n/a wagon with the raised roof, of course)
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
JimBos Legacy
First Gear

Post by JimBos Legacy »

mike-tracy wrote:USDM legacys got the VF11 on either transmission. You positive that turbo's been on your engine for the last 25 years? And if so, is that engine original to the car? I have a feeling that the auto turbo cars suffered less abuse over time. Certainly their cranks don't have nearly the amount of in/out play the manuals do, from the many that I've seen.

I thought all the Series 1 GT's were auto, and the RS were manuals? (Not talking about the 1-year only USDM Legacy GT, that was an n/a wagon with the raised roof, of course)
It’s JDM 92 Legacy GT manual, and it came stock with an ej20g, and if someone did swap the turbo, I have no clue why they’d put in a vf10.

JimBo

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I can't find that site that has all the scanned Japanese brochures. Anyway, the vf10 is slightly larger than the VF11, about the same as a TD04, so going from that to a td05 will be a ton of fun.
JimBos Legacy
First Gear

Post by JimBos Legacy »

mike-tracy wrote:I can't find that site that has all the scanned Japanese brochures. Anyway, the vf10 is slightly larger than the VF11, about the same as a TD04, so going from that to a td05 will be a ton of fun.
I’ve had it swapped over for a couple weeks now, lots of lag, but all around great turbo.

JimBo

JimBos Legacy
First Gear

Post by JimBos Legacy »

What I also find weird is that you compared the vf10 to a TD04, but the TD05 bolted right up, so maybe a vf10 is closer to a 14g TD05

JimBo

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

VF- 8/10/11/12 were all fitted to first gen legacys. Whereas the TD04 and TD05 turbos were fitted to the version 1 /2 ej20g based Impreza that also had the 90* inlet.

When they switched to under-intake-manifold-turbo inlet in version 3, they came out with the new style td04 that we are all familiar with. The TD05 was not offered from the factory going forward, as they went with IHI for their STI turbos.
JimBos Legacy
First Gear

Post by JimBos Legacy »

mike-tracy wrote:VF- 8/10/11/12 were all fitted to first gen legacys. Whereas the TD04 and TD05 turbos were fitted to the version 1 /2 ej20g based Impreza that also had the 90* inlet.

When they switched to under-intake-manifold-turbo inlet in version 3, they came out with the new style td04 that we are all familiar with. The TD05 was not offered from the factory going forward, as they went with IHI for their STI turbos.
I gotcha, do TD05 and 04 have the same bolt pattern for the downpipe and inlet?

JimBo

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

yea, the early 90* inlet td04 is a direct swap for your td05. AND it would definitely outspool both your old vf10 and td05.
SubaruNation wrote:going up now...

BXSS wrote:TD04 is on the left side of all the pics.

Thanks SubaruNation for posting the pics up for me!!
JimBos Legacy
First Gear

Post by JimBos Legacy »

mike-tracy wrote:yea, the early 90* inlet td04 is a direct swap for your td05. AND it would definitely outspool both your old vf10 and td05.
SubaruNation wrote:going up now...

BXSS wrote:TD04 is on the left side of all the pics.

Thanks SubaruNation for posting the pics up for me!!
I wish the TD05 I bought had that 90° like the VF10, would’ve made the swap much easier. Finding a silicon hose that turned quick enough in that tiny space was hard.

JimBo