can I fit a TD05-14B as an upgrade? ( is it an upgrade ? )

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Nate S
First Gear

can I fit a TD05-14B as an upgrade? ( is it an upgrade ? )

Post by Nate S »

Hey all,
curious about something, I have access to a stock 91 eclipse turbo ( TD05-14B ) and since it is a td05 I am wondering it it would bolt up, I found that the turbo could in theory run up to 20 psi, I just want to run 14 without taxing the turbo.
anyone know about this?
thx
nate
S-Squared Motorsports
Looking for aftermarket parts? Email me
nate@ss-ms.com - www.ss-ms.com
shop # 916 631 7440
92 turbo wagon / 02 wrx sedan
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

No, different Uppipe flanges prevent the use of that turbo. When you said you wanted to " run 14 ", do you mean 14's in the quarter mile? If so the stock turbo is fine. It'll get you into the 14's no problemo, just the question is where? I know of a Legacy Turbo 5MT running 13 psi, and has a 3" cat-back, and it runs 14.5's. Not too bad at all :roll:

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
Nate S
First Gear

Post by Nate S »

sorry , guess I should have clarified that,
I meant about 14 psi

I know the stock turbo runs out of breath about 13, so I figured if I could run that turbo I could run 14 psi more efficiantly.

if the only difference is the up-pipe flange that is fine, I can cut a new flange and make a new up-pipe.

are there any other differences that would cause issues that anyone knows of?

thx

nate
S-Squared Motorsports
shop # 916 631 7440
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Stock turbo is good for about 15-16 psi max. 13 psi is only where fuel cut comes into play and the ECU spoils the fun :? . Bypass this and your good for another 2-3 psi on the stocky. But ya, if you have major power goals then It'd get a new turbo, but when I think of it isn't the TD05-14B, a small turbo? not much of an upgrade over the stock one. I'd get like boostjunkie has, a TD05-16G or one of the better VF series turbo.

Mark
Nate S
First Gear

Post by Nate S »

yea it is a pretty small one, reason for my thinking was that its free :)

I have a fuel cut defender sittin in my garage from a 323 GTX project , I bet I could use that, any idea how hard the turbo has to work to run 14? If I remember right the 14b ran around that psi stock so it should be ok in theory. its obviously easier tho to leave the stocker on there if its ok for 14, I just dont wanna push it too hard.

thx

nate
S-Squared Motorsports
shop # 916 631 7440
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

The stocky can be pushed pretty hard. theres a fellow named Nico turbine on Nasioc (former I-club) who runs his stock Legacy Turbo RHB5 at 20 psi :shock:, mind you he has a massive front mount intercooler. Cause at that that kind of boost the stock turbo is well into afterburner mode. He says he blows away all kinds of V-6's, V-8's, flat 6's ... :P etc

Mark,
Last edited by LegacyT on Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nate S
First Gear

Post by Nate S »

oh wow,
ok well I guess I will just wire up my FCD and intercool it and I should be fine for what I want.

thanks!

nate
S-Squared Motorsports
shop # 916 631 7440
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Nate S wrote:If I remember right the 14b ran around that psi stock so it should be ok in theory. its obviously easier tho to leave the stocker on there if its ok for 14, I just dont wanna push it too hard.
nate
You have to remember that this turbo was originally on a 2.0L engine. Now that you have an extra .2L things change a bit. It's a 10% increase in displacement, so the turbo has to work harder (my guess would be 10% harder, but physics owns me) for the same amount of boost.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]