I`ve got the turbo blues....

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

subiecar
In Neutral

I`ve got the turbo blues....

Post by subiecar »

Well boys and girls, here`s the latest: my turbo was too small for my increased boost application so it died a painful death. The solution: start saving for the following: T3/T4 STI-type turbo with new stainless up and down pipes-3" hi-flow cat and exhaust system-proper IC with a new blow-off valve-Tial 35-40mm wastegate-stand-alone engine management-STI hood scoop and air splitter, etc. Cost? Around $4k+ ! So......it`ll be a couple months before the fun begins. It`s better to do it right from the get-go rather than have to patch as-you-go. I`ll keep everyone posted as to my progress. BTW, wish me luck on my job search as it`ll be the only way I`ll be able to finish my project. I`ll talk to y`all again soon--THE MAD SPENDER:cry: :cry:
Age and treachery will overcome youth and skill!
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

What turbo were you running?

STis did not come with a T3/T4. Only Mitsubishi TD0s and IHI VF-series turbos. Are you going with a custom turbo?
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
EJ20TMAN
In Neutral

Post by EJ20TMAN »

Yup STI's never came with Garret turbo's only the IHI VF series. If u do get a STI turbo you wont need a external wastegate because they have internals that do there job well. I'd get a VF 34 or VF 22 if i was u both are good for over 200 KW (280hp) at the flywheel.
1990 GT wagon JDM, TD05H, FMIC, Bosch coils 4in twin split dump 3 in rest of system, lowered, manual conversion, 17's, 17psi boost :) , tints, intake res gone and loving it!!!
subiecar
In Neutral

turbo

Post by subiecar »

The turbo I`m describing is from Vishnu-the outside of the turbo has STI stamped right in the metal. It is specifically: T3/T4 with a Stage 3 wheel and a .48 AR to speed up boost as I`m running a 4EAT and 3:90 gears. It is made for Vishnu`s stage 3 kit. The only other option is a .63 AR (used mainly for 5 or 6-speed manual trannys. This item is fairly new and was the recommended size for my 2.4 liter motor. The other turbo was orginally intended for a 1.6-1.8 liter motor, but was used for my initial 7 PSI boost application. It cost as much to rebuild a ball-bearing turbo as it is to buy a new one! The T3/T4 I`m going to use is a non ball-bearing turbo that would cost about $400 to rebuild if needed. It makes the same HP as the BB one and only boosts about 2-300 RPM slower. It`s also 1/2 the cost. We live and learn----reply if you have more questions--Rod :D
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

I will tell you that you are going to get screwed by Vishnu. I don't care what they stamp on the side of it, it's an easy turbo to get. Just do a search for it. It has the same water and oil ports, just need an uppipe with the right flange and downpipe.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

what subaru motor do you have? a 2.4liter? did you build it up?

also, a t3/t4 is a garret turbo, not a IHI. STI doesn't make turbos!
92 Legacy Turbo \ 5MT \ Silver
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

same question as aaron. I am confused.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Rod's motor is a bored & stroked EJ22T motor. It's new displacement is around 2.4 liters.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
subiecar
In Neutral

I`ll look around before buying a turbo

Post by subiecar »

I talked to Josh last night and after reading your comments also, I`m going to step back and be careful in my planning :oops: Josh thinks the STI logo on the turbo may just be on the casing and have nothing to do with the manufacturing aspect. So......I`m going to return my turbo to Garrett and get their opinion on its condition and if I have to replace it right away. If it just needs a clean-up and not a replacement, I`ll look elsewhere for a larger turbo and related components. I don`t like it when a vendor tries to pull my chain :evil: I`ll keep ya`ll posted as to my progress. Thanks for your input----Rod
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

I can assure you that STi does not use Garrett turbos. MAYBE in the new 2.5L STi, but I still doubt it.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

what turbo died? then only turbo you discussed was the vishnu t3/t4 hybrid.
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

I'd guess a T25 turbo by the sounds of it. And don't take my comment to mean I don't like the T3-T4 :) I think it would be a good turbo and the specs look good I just wanted you to look around for a good price. I just always look out for what I call rice vendors, they tend to rip off most people. The turbo you are looking for would be cheaper (I bet) if you looked for one for a Ford Mustang SVO or T-bird. Then all you need is an uppipe with the garret flange and a custom downpipe.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
STi_GUY
First Gear

Post by STi_GUY »

Off subject. But I got a 85.5 SVO mustang at the house in NC. I love that car. It's actually my Stepdads. Really fun to drive. Worked on it all last summer. Almost fully restored now. One of the only mustangs I ever liked. Im a subie guy all the way, but if I had to buy american it would be GM. Sorry for the off subject babble.
Cody
1994 Legacy Ti Wagon (Estate)
2.4L of N/A fury :)
Awesome vendor: http://home.att.net/~teaguesauto/index.htm
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

a t25 should not die pushing 7 psi of boost. Is that the turbo you were running?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Rod was running the Garret GT25 Dual roller bearing turbo. This was run on a pretty much stock 2.2 n/a motor. He was running alcohol injection.....I think had the boost up to about 10-11 psi before things went south.

I believe he was running the Forced Air Tech. stage 1 kit with an upgrade to the stage 3 turbo. Info is here http://forcedairtech.com/FORCED-AIR-TEC ... 3-KIT.html

I do agree that a second opinion should be had about the current turbo. I've got no experience with vishnu directly....but to have someone say the turbo's toast.....I'd want a second opinion.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

a garret gt 25 should be just fine at even 15 psi. this turbo (or very similar) is used in the fm11 turbo kit for the miata. they only set it up to run 12 psi on a 1600 with stock internals but is capable of pushing more. the turbo is designed for a smaller displacement engine. why the alchohol injection? so I take it shiv is the one that told you your turbo was fried.
is this correct?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'll let Rod field most of those questions.

But the alcohol question was because he was cranking up the boost on a n/a motor that basically had nothing more then a turbo kit slapped on. No intercooler, no reduction of compression.....He was running the alcohol to keep detonation in check.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

subiecar
In Neutral

more turbo info......

Post by subiecar »

:D I`m actually running a GT-20 turbo; it was used for quick spool-up and initially for no more than 8 psi boost. Once you become addicted to boost (like me), you get an MBC and play with it. Robert (at ForcedAir) was a little worried I`d get carried away with boost and hurt the motor-he was right. I added alcohol injection to control detonation and would`ve been ok if I had stayed below 12 psi. I must admit I was trying to see how much I could get away with on a motor with one low cylinder and over 165k miles. It`s amazing how tough these motors are; that`s why I`m building an EJ22T with all the right components :mrgreen: I discovered a few local places that deal with turbos and will get their opinion before sending the turbo back to Garrett. If it`s usuable, I`ll hook everything back the way it was, break the motor in and upgrade one component at a time :D. BTW, my MBC would sometimes spike to 18 psi-that`s what probably hurt the motor the most. First upgrade after the 3" exhaust system: electronic boost control! Sorry for the long post--Rod
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

well that makes sense. a gt 20 at 18 psi.