160hp just isnt enough:(

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

subaruguy
First Gear

160hp just isnt enough:(

Post by subaruguy »

my 91 turbo doesnt quite have the performance I want, so what should be the first mods to the car besides my "costom"fabricated high flow air box and exhaust, I have those covered , I want to try and keep it under 1k would the next step be a bigger turbo or would I burn it up with no IC, I could have my freinds help me install a front mount IC they have experience with that sort thing they have turbo hondas Or should it be the fuel system, injectors and a fuel pump what would give me more gains. thanks
Subaruguy
(a.k.a likestospdalot)I have tickets to prove it
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

Intercooler would be at the top of my list.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

drop 40 bucks on a MBC. you can run upwards of 10-11 lbs of boost with it. that will cure your itch for a while. trust me :D . next get an IC. then you can up the boost until you hit fuel cut and need a FCD. stock injectos are good till around 1 bar, and that'll be getting you to the upper limit of your stock turbo. so getting you to that point will be around 40 bucks for the MBC, 150-200 for the IC (air/air or air/water), and anywhere from 15-250 bucks on a FCD depending on wether you buy it, make it, or buy it used.

if you want a good mod list, look at boost junkie's homepage. if he's toasting M3s and WRTs, you know it has to be good. And none of it is out of your reach. all very reasonable parts.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

The intercooler was one of the LAST things i did, because at less that 11psi, it's really not necessary...and it's a pain in the ass.

Exhaust, intake, ignition and boost will all add healthy portions of response and power to your car, with the stock turbo and no intercooler.

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
subaruguy
First Gear

Post by subaruguy »

well Im currently talking to a guy in new zealand, hopefully he has that sti ver. 2 IC he also has some side skirts and a rear bumper lip $300 nz thats about .42 u.s plus freight, I asked him for some pics I hope he can get them to me. Im not new to subarus but those libertys are pretty sweet over there, Id love mine to look like those, that would make it even more rare Ill keep you guys posted on what I do thanks.
Subaruguy
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

boostjunkie you smokin e46 m3's.
how bout any c5 corvette's. hehehe :twisted:
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

300 for just the bumper lips? Or the IC, Skirts, and Lips?
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
subaruguy
First Gear

Post by subaruguy »

just the skirts and lips for now I think that equals out to be $126 us dollars+shipping and I havent heard from him yet about the IC but ill let you know
Subaruguy
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

IggDawg wrote:if he's toasting M3s and WRTs, you know it has to be good. And none of it is out of your reach. all very reasonable parts.
Oh geez, the rumors begin :shock: . . . nope, I never smoked an e46 m3. He pulled on me in third and I was able to keep up with him in fourth (dunno how, even he was amazed at that) . . . Now e36 m3s on the otherhand :twisted:

All I can say is that I haven't been disappointed with this car yet!!
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
123c
Second Gear

Post by 123c »

160 HP isn't enough for you??? It is way more than I can handle after coming from a 77HP N/A Mercedes-Benz diesel...

There are several things you can do to boost power, but probally the best thing to do is modify the ignition system...
[color=red][b]1993 Subaru BC Turbo Legacy (193k miles)
1971 VW Super Beetle
1989 Honda Elite 50
[/color][/b]
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Agreed, 160 hp in the early 90's meant much more than it does now. Sothe first thing to think about when modifying a turbo car is the exhaust. That would be at the top of my list. Simply because getting a mbc and intercooler are great for more boost. But more boost on the stock exhaust is gonna put alot of strain on the turbo. Your going to wear out the turbo much quicker driving along at 13 psi on the stock exhaust, then on a nice free flowing 2.75 catless turbo-back or the like. Beside's after when you but on the other mods it will make then perform better.

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

:shock: 300hp isn't enough for me!! :twisted:
MY02 B4 Liberty, 2 1/2" off the primary with splitter, 3" off the secondary, 3" the rest of the way, completely stainless, k&n filter, ECUtek 3, 500HP walbro, 173kw@all4