MY02 WRX Turbo on 91 Turbo Legacy

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SigOS
In Neutral

MY02 WRX Turbo on 91 Turbo Legacy

Post by SigOS »

Hello!

I acquired a 91 Turbo Legacy a few weeks ago, and it's currently at my shop for a few modifications... I'm installing a 2.5RS suspension, 4.44:1 5MT tranny with rear LSD diff, changing clutch and flywheel, and a few other things... I also already have a custom FMIC (from a mitsubishi starion).

While cleaning the turbo, my mechanic discovered that it's cracked :-( So, I need a new turbo, and I'm thinking about putting a MY02 WRX Turbo instead of the original one.

Do you guys know how easy / hard is to fit this turbo on the Legacy? Is it bolt-on or some custom pipings are required? Anybody here already did this?

Thanks guys!

Sig
91 Turbo Legacy
91 Turbo Supra
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It is not bolt on.....and actually quite a pain from what I remember people talking about it. Check out the legacy forum on www.i-club.com I believe someone has done this conversion, do a search in the legacy forum and I think something will pop up as to what type of problems he encountered.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SigOS
In Neutral

Post by SigOS »

Ok, I'll go there and make a search.

Thanks!
91 Turbo Legacy
91 Turbo Supra
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

Actually, it quite simple. the exhaust side will bolt right up no problem. the difference is the compressor side. the inlet is different, i believe you will need a small 90 degree elbow to fit on the intake. the outlet is also different. on our turbo's, it points up at about a 60 degree angle, the wrx turbo points straight out horizontally towards the throttle body. but since you are doing a custom fmic and making custom piping, then this is not a problem.

-Aaron. :o
92 Legacy Turbo \ 5MT \ Silver
ej22t
Second Gear

Post by ej22t »

I have a EJ22T turbo unit (used) for sell, its in good condition, just take it out from my old turbo engine (220000km)
Make me an offer if you are interesting!

Ben
92 Legacy turbo with EJ20G engine swap \(^0^)/