man, winter and 2wd :(

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

stant093
Voluntarily Dismissed

man, winter and 2wd :(

Post by stant093 »

i cant believe how poorly my scooby is in snow, i just put new studded hawk's on and still 3 times to get up the driveway.....same results with my all season tires. :( ...looks like its impreza season after all...
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Try a FWD, Turbo Wagon with Ecsta 712s. That was me about two years ago...
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
Dr Nick
Second Gear

Post by Dr Nick »

Come on guy! No WAY is any FWD going to compare to a 4wd/AWD in snow, with or without snow tires. Trust me - I'm from the north of Scotland and have driven FWD, RWD and AWD in all weathers (-22 degrees at one point!)

Basically the choice on dry tarmac is RWD, AWD, FWD for driving pleasure, but give me a bit of snow and it's AWD, FWD and RWD if you absolutely have to. Or want to have some sideways fun!

Anyway, the positive is that you made it up the driveway!!
- Rob

1992 Legacy Turbo Estate (Wagon) / 5MT / 186k miles. [url]http://www.griggs-taylor.co.uk/legacy.html[/url]
1986 Suzuki GSX-R400 / 6MT / 43k km. [url]http://www.griggs-taylor.co.uk/mybike.html[/url]
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

AWD makes for plenty of sideways fun too :D :D
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
stant093
Voluntarily Dismissed

Post by stant093 »

i wish it was an AWD. next wednesday i should have the impreza should be done and ready for some winter fun. i definatly miss the relaxation of AWD in the winter...this 2WD makes me nervous...i pulled out into the road at the end of our drive way and the ass end just kept swinging around....glad no one was coming.....i had to put it in reverse, back up and then straighten out....im parking it for now, going to use my girls dad's jeep untill the impreza is registered....
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

with good snow tires my fwd did very very well in the snow.....granted the driver will also depend on how well you can get the car around
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Grant
Second Gear

Post by Grant »

I grew up with FWD in my old 81 Subaru DL in Wyoming where we have snow all winter long on the roads and my current Legacy is FWD too. It outhandles almost every "AWD" SUV and minivan on the road. Other Subaru's or Audi's with AWD are another story however. I use Nokian Hakkapileeta 10s and they're awesome on the snow.[/url]
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
http://www.nocoastmotorsports.net
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Tires make all the difference with the fwd Legacy, but it does very well with the right ones. But I think my old '84 GL's were better in the snow even with worse tires and they were also fwd.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
stant093
Voluntarily Dismissed

Post by stant093 »

its simply just too steep here, the road to our apt is at a good grade, suby loses all momentum, and then the driveway is worse, it didnt do too bad in town, but climbing, it just didnt have to grip...it did about the same as my all season tires...:/
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I live at the top of a steep hill, too, but luckily can access my house from the other end which isn't steep. Made it further up the hill Saturday (in the middle of a 36" snow storm) than one of the four wheel drive pick ups did before I had to give up and go around. I will say, though, it was mostly tires (as well as practiced throttle work, of course :wink: ).

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

If you really need the traction try reducing tire pressure to 25 pounds.