My book—Midnight in a Perfect World

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

evolutionmovement wrote:So far I seem to get people no longer talking to me or loving the book. Sounds about right.
Why do you say this?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Reflects my life - I either offend/scare people away or they like me. Makes sense since Dante is pretty much me.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Went to New York Independent Book Publisher's Expo this weekend. Idiot organizers charged admission, so nobody was buying books which also made my ipod Shuffle soundtrack giveaway a waste of money. However, I don't care as I got a copy of the book into the hands of a senior editor for Simon & Schuster and a reviewer for Barnes & Noble who seemed interested and weren't just going around handing cards out to everyone. Also got some good marketing ideas from a pro. I easily had the slickest book there, and most likely the best written by a long shot (not just ego talking—there was a lot of weirdo junk, religious nut stuff, and generic genre work). James Vining's cover is worth its weight in gold! There was a an ex-cop's book that looked pretty good—a collection of short stories which seemed essentially to be fantasies of his based on horrific crimes he'd seen where the perpetrator gets what he deserves. Not far off my books on a certain level. But on his business card, he had the title of each short story with a list of numbers so that readers could rank them and return the card to him for feedback. Pretty slick idea if you've got the skin for it (many people wouldn't).
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

And if anyone wants to help, reviews on Amazon and Barnes & Noble are huge and I'd appreciate it for whatever that's worth.
fishbone79
Second Gear

Post by fishbone79 »

I just finished your book. Loved it - I'll review it on Amazon/B&N sometime soon.
Cheers,
morgan

1992 Legacy BF
1946 Ford 1.5 Ton Truck (The Beast): http://community.webshots.com/user/fishbone79
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Thanks! I learned at the Expo this weekend that, not only do a large number of reviews help sway browsing customers, but they also make the larger publishers take notice and there's a direct and HUGE correlation between number of reviews and income even as an independent. Makes sense, but I didn't realize the extent of the difference before.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Good info Steve! I'll go back and make a review on amazon & B&N.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Website has been redesigned and I also have a Facebook page up for Evolution Movement and Midnight in a Perfect World. I'll post science news that seems to go with the Evolution Movement ideas as updates on that page. So visit and be fans or whatever.

Thanks
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

FOR THOSE WANTING MORE or curious, but not enough to buy a book:

I posted the original beginning chapter for Black September (Book 2) on the Midnight in a Perfect World Facebook page under the Info tab, Mission section.

Since it doesn't lead to anything else in that book, I removed it so my editor wouldn't have to tell me to do so, however, I still like it. Based loosely on the life history of a former coworker, it tells the story of an immigrant who later makes a brief appearance in Devil Bunny (Book 3) as a Pakistani cab driver who hates terrorists. Call it my version of a director's cut.
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

joined your page on FB
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Moi aussi
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Thanks guys! Did either of you try to read the chapter I posted on the Midnight in a Perfect World FB page?

Wondering if anyone liked it. I have so much shit I could write, but that doesn't fit in the books. I'm toying with going to a blog to post miscellaneous stuff, mostly prequel to the first book so it doesn't give anything away ... though, god, I hate that I'd be a blogger.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I hadn't really had time to look around. I'll try and look at the page a little more this week.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

snowboarded
Third Gear

Post by snowboarded »

Im going to have to buy the book next pay check. And ill definitely put up a review on amazon.
[quote="Manarius "]Only flamers will get those. [/quote]
[quote="All_talk "]How many WHP will that give me? :)[/quote]

2010 Subaru Impreza 5mt 5 door
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: My book—Midnight in a Perfect World

As it goes, my publisher is pretty much out of business, so my goal is to get the second book available on my own this year. I have my sister, who has some experience with editing, working on that aspect and I'm going to get James Vining, the author who did the original cover to do this one as well. I'm also going to be putting in about a dozen or so pictures to go with some of the chapters, bringing it closer to a graphic novel. I never learned how to draw people well and the prospect of drawing all these doesn't interest me anyway, so I'm staging photo shoots with models (and, yes, some will be naked) and then going to digitally alter the images. I'm still messing around with the exact effect I want for that.

The best thing about this one is that it has less disturbing scenes, which makes it more marketable, and I think it's a better book, especially where it starts dealing with the effects of PTSD from the main character's violent past (though the 3rd book gets more into treating it). I don't like how these kinds of things in other entertainment are either ignored or put into the background since addressing these issues not only makes for more realism (not that every person who suffers a traumatic situation develops PTSD), but could help people who have this is real life. I think the big problem with PTSD is that it isolates you and makes you feel like nobody out there gets it. Most therapy seems geared towards PTSD from non-combat/violent crime trauma and they really need to be treated differently. Not only that, for someone like me, some of the techniques and attitudes of the therapists and treatments that are geared towards the other kind of PTSD are a turn off to treatment altogether, reinforcing the idea that nobody else gets it, and encouraging further isolation. I'm hoping to show there's some hope.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks for the update Steve. Looking forward to the second book. If there's anything we can do, by all means let us know.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Reviews for Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon are always appreciated! Most book selling sites pick up their reviews from Amazon, so reviews left there really get around. Nobody's added any in years. Liking the page on Facebook is also good and I somewhat update that more often.

Strangely, there are a fair number of recent "likes" on FB from people in Asia and even one in Tunisia! I have no idea if they're buying as the affiliated printers I know of are in the UK, Europe, and Australia and I don't know where any royalty checks are going. I also have no clue how they'd know about it and there's a few of them that I couldn't even tell where they were from until I got my page update from FB (which tallies the number of people and from which countries) since it was written in Arabic or something similar enough looking to me. If they're not actually talking about or reading the book, I have no idea why they "Liked" the page. Even if I'm not seeing any money from these regions, I'd be pretty happy if they really are selling there, but I'd really like to know how and why.