My book—Midnight in a Perfect World

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just resent it. Hotmail sometimes blocks comcast's mail servers......fucking hotmail....I've been getting tons of spam from THEIR servers, and they don't do anything about it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That is a pretty good review.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Can't wait to get my copy!
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Josh, still haven't gotten it. Weird. I'm doing head end contract work for Comcast and get email from them all the time. Is there some other way you'd like to handle it?

Phil, didn't make the PO today so it's going out tomorrow. Damn traffic. Tomorrow I'm leaving a few minutes early so should be no problems.

Josh, never mind - I found it.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Can't wait! Am I the first? Just take your time, I'm finishing up a few different books right now.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Went out today. Do you want me to answer like a woman trying to seem modest and make you feel good or do you want the truth? You're not the first, Phil. Always was one to value blunt honesty over feelings.

Josh, yours should go out tomorrow barring traffic mishap or such.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Lol, somehow it's not really too emotionally distressing to hear that I'm not your first. In fact, I'm not all too surprised.

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

evolutionmovement wrote:Always was one to value blunt honesty over feelings.
How perfect of a statement to preclude my announcement that I got my copy in the mail today.

Thanks Steve! :D
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Awesome! If you hate it, try to keep it to PMs :lol: .

Had my friend, a senior copyeditor look at it and he had a few minor things to change, so you guys are getting a rare early edition with errors only a book industry person for the most part would notice. Might be worth a fortune like a double-headed coin mistake from a mint! Or not. We'll see when the religious right finds out about it.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks Steve. I'll keep my eyes open for it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

My friend wanted me to tell you, Steve, that she is already finished and is impatiently waiting the sequel. :)

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

She, huh? I could always use some groupies.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Steve,

Got the book this week! Thanks for the autograph. I'll probably get some reading time in, in the next two weeks with the traveling I'm doing.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I started it today while flying up to Philly. I'm about 80 pages into it. It's very good!! I can defintely see a bit of you in the character Dante based on getting to know over the years on the board. I can definitely relate to Dante as well. ;)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

I've been meaning to shot you a PM but I may as well make it public, I got my copy last week the same day I had anxiously awaited car parts arrive. I thought, eh, I'll read a few pages and then go wrench. 45 minutes later I realized this book was about to be a problem as I've a lot of stuff that has to get done in the next few weeks. So I've regrettfully set it down until August when I can afford to blow off everything and become in engrossed.

It's an awesome book so far and there's no doubt that Steve's the author.... :).
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Yeah, some friends will interrupt me sometimes with, "Haven't I read this before?" or while reading it tell me, "I think we talked about this once."

Glad you like it. At least it's a short book. They get progressively longer.

I thought I could relax at this point, but now that it's out I realize how much work I have to do with promotions and the rest of the series. They're bugging me for the second one (which is pretty much done, but needs to have some stuff added for continuity purposes and character development), but I've fallen in love with a character in the fourth book and have been mostly writing dialog with her. I've tried to make her one thing, but she's refused and done her own thing, but I like her better now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I finished Steve's book last night....in less then a week and four sittings I might add. I would put this book in the highly addictive category.

The writing is superb, the details in the writing really bring you into the action Definitely leaves you wanting more If you haven't picked up a copy, DO IT!

Looking forward to the next one Steve.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Thanks, Josh!

Tagged the NY subways with 500 business cards of the book last weekend and talked to some store owners. See how that goes.
Reiji Dorifuta
First Gear

Post by Reiji Dorifuta »

I think I'm going to buy this before it hits the bestseller list.

It's the same kinda satisfaction I get from blasting leaked CD's through the neighborhood days (sometimes up to a WEEK! :o) before they go 'live'. :D
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Just finished it about a half-hour ago.

Talk about a breath of fresh air, as ironic as that sounds.

I graduated college with about the lowest opinion of writing and writers possible. The authors of the fluffy pussy-ass bullshit that is this nation's university system's creative writing curriculum deserve to have Dante Moretti blow their brains out with 44 Magnums for such worthless contributions to society.

Thanks to this book, writing as an art form has been redeemed.

I'm in the midst of writing a review on Amazon right now. I've been thinking the review over for a while, and I believe it's very fitting and informative without giving too much away.

Fucking amazing Steve. I too am anxiously awaiting the sequel.

Edit: Get this shit... I just read Laurel's review, and just last night, picked up Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand by a suggestion from a friend.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I'm glad people like it. Thank Beth, the editor, for some of that - she made me cut out LOTS of rants. Big surprise. I tried not to write like it's a book, but like it's a movie in paper form or like a more descriptive graphic novel without the pictures. I wrote it so that it would be enjoyable for people that don't read often. And this might seem weird, but I applied design principles to writing - mainly to pare everything down to the minimum, and that asymmetry adds interest. I used the latter often to draw attention to certain words within a sentence or to make them disappear depending on their importance.

I'm slowly coming to terms with calling myself an author.

Atlas Shrugged is one of those books that's been perpetually on my list to read. For whatever reason I just keep forgetting.

Did anyone look up the painting, "The Concert", by Vermeer?
shtbxr22
Fourth Gear

Post by shtbxr22 »

i'm gonna try to push it to the people I know. maybe I should read it first, huh? fuck it. i'll get it soon :D
Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.

1998 VW GTi VR6 5MT (SOLD)
1992 SS 4EAT Winestone (minus 2 gears/SOLD)
1994 TW 4EAT Quicksilver (blown up/SOLD)
2007 Legacy SE 5MT Satin White Pearl (Mine now :))
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

**** SPOILER DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN"T READ THE BOOK YET!!!!!!!!!*****

Got my copy Steve, thank you! I read it straight through. I loved it except, I wish the first book would have been longer, I would have liked to have had more depth and time with Diana and Femm before the end. More Evo story lines (jobs) with Femm and Dante and a longer relationship build up with Dante and Diana. I only say this because I loved the book so much! It was awesome and I really related to the relationship between the three main characters and felt like I knew them ( or was just beginning to ;) ). The book was awesome and I just wish it were longer because as the pages dwindled I felt a real sense of loss because I didn't want it to end!

All I can say is you better get that second book out real soon or I might just have to drive up to Mass and go Misery stylie on your ass! :twisted: :lol:

GREAT BOOK!!
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

It could have been much longer, but for profitability and marketability reasons, it's short. Makes it easier to be made into a movie without losing much or leaves plenty of room for expansion for a season on Showtime, HBO, expanded later editions, or other books (prequels) if I actually make money on the friggin' things and can get some other, mostly unrelated, writing projects done first. Plus, I'm writing this for people who don't usually read much (yeah, there's a non-existent niche in a dying market) and those people would be intimidated by 400 pages or more.

There is a chick who knew Dante from his days with Vince, casual mention of her was edited out of the first book (you have to pick your battles sometimes, but she will be mentioned in 2 and 3), who shows up finally in the fourth book and ends up having her own spin off that could include prequel stuff that would involve Dante. She's become my favorite character.

Next book will be somewhere around 350+ pages and the third looks to be MUCH more. Yeah, I'm never going to make any money off this shit. Oh well, I can look at myself in the mirror for not writing about single women in the city or vampires (Diana's teeth are fake, after all, and based on a minor fetish of mine for women with sharp eye teeth. My sister's friend, Lindsay has these teeth...and everything else, too, that... Never mind).

So far I seem to get people no longer talking to me or loving the book. Sounds about right.
dwreck30
Second Gear

Post by dwreck30 »

evolutionmovement wrote: Plus, I'm writing this for people who don't usually read much (yeah, there's a non-existent niche in a dying market) and those people would be intimidated by 400 pages or more.
This would apply to me, I think I can count on one hand how many books I've read. After reading the book I can honestly say that I'm going to find another book to pass the time until the sequel comes out. The book was awesome, I would have read it straight through but you have to eat, sleep and work too. Can't wait 'till the next one.
- Derek
'06 STi