My book—Midnight in a Perfect World

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

My book—Midnight in a Perfect World

Post by evolutionmovement »

So I've given up on the non-response from agents about my 1st novel. I woke up to the news a few weeks ago about Amazon buying Book Surge, a print-on-demand service company. Thought I'd check into it.

I will have full creative control and ownership rights (so I can go to a traditional publisher when I have a few sales under my belt if I choose) and the royalties are pretty good. Any order wll be printed and shipped within 48 hours and I will get an ISBN so that the book can be ordered through any bookstore. I get to use my own cover design, they have a copyediting service (not cheap, but not bad cosidering the importance of the service) as well as marketing, submission to a New York Times reviewer (with feedback).

I'm going with trade paper (the nicer-style paperbacks - not those cheesy mass markets they sell in grocery stores). Maybe I'll buy a bunch and personally sign them. Can't wait for copyediting feedback.

Good thing the guy with the Lotuses is helping me do the bodywork on the car for free as I'm going to need the cash to do this. It will put the car back a little longer still, but anything worthwhile requires risk and sacrifice.

Since a Subaru is a main 'character' I'll try to see about selling through Subie magazines, etc. Think Sopranos and Pulp Fiction meets Two Lane Black Top.

Only thing is I wish I could do the soundtrack idea, but that will probably be too complicated and risky to ever get done.

Steve
Last edited by evolutionmovement on Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Sounds interesting, do we get first dibs on signed copies?
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

Let us know how this progresses, Steve. I can easily see Laurel and I wanting a copy for our place. ;)
"Power is NOTHING without control"
1994 & 2005 Legacy GT Wagons
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

I want a signed one. :)
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

I want one.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

I'll take one
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Cool, Steve, this is exciting!

What exactly is the soundtrack idea?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Sign me up. Name your price.

I've read about half of this book, and I really think it's excellent. Very gripping story and great use of imagery in the writing.

Congrats Steve! I will do what I can to spread the word!
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I'm ordering 50 copies for myself to sell/give to family and the rest will have to be print-on-demand orders through Amazon, ABEBooks, local bookseller, etc. Since I don't like 50 people locally, most of these can be signed for legacycentral people. I'm getting the smaller trade (5.25 x 8 ) as it's $3 cheaper. Retail will be about $15.99 according to what I've read so far.

The soundtrack idea is just that - a soundtrack to the novel. I think it would be a great gimmick, I mean, way of expanding literature into a multi-media experience for broader, non-traditional readers appeal. Getting rights to all the songs and figuring out royalties, affect on the cost of the book, and just the logistics of getting copies out there together are too much for me (and probably most publishing houses). The novel opens in Las Vegas with "We Must Awaken" by KMFDM playing over the radio of a BMW M5. Midnight in a Perfect World is also a song and would be the perfect background song for a movie preview I have in mind.

Steve
Last edited by evolutionmovement on Mon May 02, 2005 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

Put Laurel and me down for a signed copy, Steve.

Just let us know how much (incl. mailing to 98028), and we'll be more than happy to contribute to the "Steve's book" fund. ;)
"Power is NOTHING without control"
1994 & 2005 Legacy GT Wagons
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I'm going to try to get everything rolling this week. Copyediting takes about 4 weeks so I'd figure a couple months or so. I need to figure out how to get my cover design done. I may need to get some friends to model for the cover silhouettes. The cover (tentatively) will be very dark blue with right justified text for the title. Spilling off the left will be a round yellow Hella foglight (also resembling a glowing full moon) with the black silhuettes of the 3 main characters and the car illuminated in it.

Art & Vikash - you're copies are free for helping me out last year.

Steve
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

That soundtrack idea is kind of cool, but, yeah, it'd be hard to pull off. Maybe you could periodically put an artist name and song title somewhere in the text or something.

I'll take two of those 50 signed copies, if you're willing.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You posted while I was posting!

That's generous to offer a free copy. I'll buy one more though. :)

That cover idea sounds cool.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I agree with the cover idea, it sounds perfect.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

im not much of a reader but this sounds like it has potential
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Right on Steve! This is sooo cool. I will definitely take a signed copy! :D

It will be so cool to be like "Midnight in a Perfect World? Ya, my friend wrote that book. I actually have one of the first 50 books printed and it's signed. " :D
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Just incase my first post wasn't clear, I want a signed copy too :).
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

I'll buy a copy as well. It may be the first book I'll have read in its entirety, since... uh, um.. oh this is bad.. a long, long time. :D
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Steve - I'd like a signed copy as well! Feed and speed?
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

I want one too.
90 L+ wgn
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

legacy92ej22t wrote:It will be so cool to be like "Midnight in a Perfect World? Ya, my friend wrote that book. I actually have one of the first 50 books printed and it's signed. " :D
Hell yeah. :D

*Formerly DerFahrer*

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Feed & Speed?! I hope to get them by the Shootout. There's the psychological addition of debt I need to get over (not too big a deal), see if I can get a better rate from my CC company as my credit is awesome, hash out details with the book people, get photoshop, and find some people to model 2 silhouettes of the characters (I'll model Dante and Barbarella will be there, too, depending on which version I like better).

Everyone will get one that wants one. I hope I can make some cash back on it in a timely manner to finance the second in the series, which is also ready.

The songs are put in throughout the book and some chapter titles are song titles also (in some cases, they inspired the chapter). I suppose someone could DL them off the internet to make their own soundtrack.

Steve
0perose
Third Gear

Post by 0perose »

I'd like a signed copy please... let us know when this is "fo sho"
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

yeah Steve I'd like a signed copy

and an unsigned copy to circulate amongst my friends/school library... you'll be famous!
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Yea, that's a good idea Sam, I'll get a second copy to lease out to friends and family.

Hehe, if you need a strapping young male of 6'1" tall to model for the cover, I'll volunteer to do it :)
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]