My book—Midnight in a Perfect World

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

snowboarded
Third Gear

Post by snowboarded »

If you have anymore signed copies not spoken for I'll take one.
Where did you come up with idea? or is it a writer's secret?
[quote="Manarius "]Only flamers will get those. [/quote]
[quote="All_talk "]How many WHP will that give me? :)[/quote]

2010 Subaru Impreza 5mt 5 door
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

It was my third attempted novel. I got the idea while listening to music (at first a lot of Thrilll Kill Kult) driving solo cross country for the Monterey Historics in the summer of 2000. It started as a screenplay homage to B-movie horror and car chase movies, but turned into more as the main character morphed into me. It got too big for a screenplay and ended up a novel. I marvelled at myself when I actually finished it.

Speaking of screenplays ... talking about fate putting you somewhere for a reason (I hope), I have the screenplay version of Midnight long completed and I'm going to try to see if this kid in the yard crew at the marina wants to read it with the hope that he'll deliver it into the hands of some of his family ... one a relatively famous actor and another involved with writing for the Sopranos. I'd rather not use their names out of respect. He had told me before about Linda Fiorantino (I had to ask who that was) being at his aunt's funeral, but I had no idea until I was talking to him today just how much his family is involved in showbusiness. My wet dream would be to make this a series to take over for Sopranos, but even just selling an option on the screenplay would be awesome at this point!

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

UPDATE:

The first guy from work whos uncle owns a publishing company stopped in today to get my email address, so that may be on again. I finally decide to just get this done after 3 years and now stuff just keeps flying at me like the Luftwaffe over London.

Now more delays as I give this guy a shot. At least maybe I can get some free copyediting out of the deal.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Editor and her assistant love it. The editor called it tight and edgy. Other points they like are the dialogue and Dante's insightfulness (thankfully as it essentially drives the series). I'm having a conference with them Tuesday morning. Finally actually, really, definitely getting published.

FBI, bring on your wiretaps and tails.

Steve
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

damn, congratulations! thats got to be a great feeling. the plot sounds cool, I want to read it. :)
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Woah, that's awesome Steve!! I still definately want my signed copy :).
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

Seriously, I'm pumped to read this
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
snowboarded
Third Gear

Post by snowboarded »

Yea steve! If you need any help with the FBI, let me know. ;)

0perose
Third Gear

Post by 0perose »

can't wait!
yo mang, can I get a rootshell?

1991 N/A, 4eat, crazy lights, junk suspension, sticker wagon
1989 xt6 work in progress
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

YaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY!
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

a book? sweet, how can I get it?
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=486]1995 Legacy Outback 5MT[/url]
185,000 miles
www.sl-i.net (for all Legacys!)
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Simply awesome. The sense of satisfaction must be overwhelming.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Busdriver
First Gear

Post by Busdriver »

Awesome, good luck tomorrow!!
Let us all see it in print or on the tube!!
Stock 1991 Legacy L+ AWD 5MT wagon 191k+ mi
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Everyone on legacycentral will get an autographed edition when I finally have them. First run looks like 1000 copies. The editor said that although she doesn't personally identify with the work that she'll stand by it completely and in spite of its sometimes disturbing content because of the quality of writing and the 'extreme marketability.' She also called it very 2005 and loves how it flows quickly and pulls the reader to the next line. She called it a work of art! I don't know about that, I think I'm good, but I'm not so sure I'm that amazing.

They really seem to like my cover idea and, yes, THERE WILL PROBABLY BE A LEGACY ON IT.

I'm waiting for something to pop my overinflated head.

Seriously, though, I'm very excited! Part of me expects the ground to fall out from beneath me at any moment, but I always get that. I'm ignoring it for now.

Thanks everyone for following this boring self-indulgent chronicle of an over-egoed writer.

Steve
snowboarded
Third Gear

Post by snowboarded »

A legacy on the cover would be fantastic.
Also, I remember somewhere, somone saying that they would wear a bra and dress in drag for the cover of your book..... I think that should make iton there too. ;)

wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

:lol:
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=486]1995 Legacy Outback 5MT[/url]
185,000 miles
www.sl-i.net (for all Legacys!)
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

How are they gonna market it? How will it be sold?

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Marketing will likely mostly fall on me, but they mentioned something about it flying off shelves, so maybe they have an in with a distributor. As for my end, I'm going to be offering them on Amazon and doing specific targeted advertizing to groups that would like it and word-of-mouth is an important selling tool (for example, local fetish clubs). I also have another plan that may put this through the roof, but I don't want to say what it is until it's implemented and in motion. Rest assured, most of you would find it amusing. It has nothing to do with the soundtrack idea, unfortunately.

I can't believe how much they like it. Maybe some of it is just buttering up, but I don't know. I wonder if this could become big enough to fund Barbarella's survival in perpetuity. I never wrote it for that puropse and only decided to try to get it published after I had actually finished. It really just started as a way to spend time and get a lot of shit off my chest.

Steve
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

KIller Steve! Congrats my man! I can't wait to read it. :D
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I will definitely do what I can to talk it up. I have several friends who actually READ and would appreciate the dark nature of the story.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

i want one!!! i dont have much reading friends... but i'm sure i can find some people to talk it up to. :smt031
90' legacy built ej257 gt30r 6spd r180 and brembos Bitches 402whp @22psi :D -sexy red
94' Impreza wagon AWD 2.2ltr rally wagon FTW!
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

OK, I'm throwing this out there right now so there will be no question later. When they go to make movies out of these books I want to be in it and I want at least 15 minutes of screen time! You can kill me off in a violent (the more gruesom the better :smt077 )way if needed. OK? Good. :-D
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Wee! Finally! Congratulations Steve! I wish I could have filled in for the male picture on the cover.

I want screen time too! I won't wear a bra though, that was a one-time offer ;)
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
snowboarded
Third Gear

Post by snowboarded »

Easy come easy go. :smt043

Oh and I am up to doing some action scenes in the movie, my ninja training will pay off. :smt027

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Not sure that if this gets that big I'll have Frank Miller-like control over its production, but I did write a screenplay version so they'd be less likely to write their own and destroy it by focusing on the action and disturbing scenes when the point is the characters, but there aren't really any ninja-like scenes anyway. There are a couple guys that get killed off after minimal time that would still be included in the movie (theoretically) - care to be a crooked would-be gang rapist cop? The only martial arts type scene involves the woman character since the other brief (sword) scene in the novel is cut from the screenplay. Pity as it would be a great (and gruesome) visual. I generally try to make the action as real as possible and in my experience most fights involve few exchanged hits before they end up as wrestling on the ground. This is what happens to the main character. Usually the action's just shooting people.

However, Matt, if you want to be a part of it, you'll love the fourth novel where a composite character from a Subaru club living in upstate NY risks his life to protect his friend (main character) from 'Christian' terrorists in a car that's pretty much Subarina. As brief explanation, one of the major plot lines is a joke on the current evolution debate in schools where a fundamentalist Christian terror group known as the Light of God (introduced in the third novel) battle it out in the US/Canadian underground with the Evolution Movement. The scene involves a freeway chase, a turbo Forrester transporting a small WMD (long story having to do with the above mentioned plot line) and probably a Hemi Ram, but I haven't decided yet.

Phil - you sure you don't want to dress in drag? The screenplay includes the fetish club where you could be an extra banging a midget in the background or something.

Once I start on this crap I never shut up.

Steve