Kills/Killed by...

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Re: Kills/Killed by...

Post by Mattheww044 »

you guys make me miss my SS :(
Corifto
First Gear

Post by Corifto »

I wouldn't say I killed it, but I had fun with a 350Z.

My buddy in his stock S13 was in front of me at a light, next to a Z. Had exhaust, but I don't know if it was stock aside from that. My buddy got on it, and I saw the Z get squirrely grabbing second, and saw it pass the 240 rather easily.

I pull up to it at the next light, and tell him I saw him get a little loose in second, he claims it was the "Street tires" and that I don't know what my car will do, but I'll give it a shot.

I've never launched my car very hard, but it runs phenomanally, so what the hell. Left foot on the brake, see the opposing lights turn yellow, right foot on accelerator, bringing it to 3k, while in "D" the whole time. Light turns, left foot lifts, and I'm launching forward with a huge smile on my face.

I heard a little tire noise off the line, but can't be sure if it was me (on Conti-Trac economy tires) or the Z (Street tires, yo.), but I knew I'd have him off the line, so I just kept it planted. Shifting into second, I still didn't see him. In second, I'm wondering when he'll be passing me. Approaching 50, and I'm surprised I'm not seeing tail lights. As I hit 60, he goes past, and I let off.

Given I haven't done the "power" override, I think I'd have held him longer had I been able to have higher shifting points, and maybe if I had done 2-3 myself, (if someone can shed some light on that, I'd appreciate it.)

Next light, I pull up to him again, and tell him it was fun, but that's it, I won't put more strain on the car. He asked if it was turbo'd, and I just said it was stock. His next question was asking how many cylinders, and his expression when I said 4 was hilarious.

TL;DR-Held a 350Z until 60 from a light, in my stock 93 TW.
-Corey
'93 240sx Hatch-Wrecked/Stripped
'93 240sx Coupe-Sold
'90 Miata-Sold
'89 240sx Hatch-Sold
'93 240sx Coupe-Sold
'93 Legacy Turbo Wagon
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

FWIW, the full throttle shift points stay around 6000 even with power mode or attempting manual shifting. Its not like the newer cars where you can bounce off the red line in lower gears.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Corifto
First Gear

Post by Corifto »

Well, I'd be fine with that, but I believe the shift points were around 3-4k, right when I was getting into the power band I liked.
-Corey
'93 240sx Coupe-Sold
'90 Miata-Sold
'89 240sx Hatch-Sold
'93 240sx Coupe-Sold
'93 Legacy Turbo Wagon
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Well then yeah, if that's the case a power mode switch would've helped you out, lol.

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Corifto
First Gear

Post by Corifto »

Yeah, I'm going to do it next weekend.

Sent from under your bed.
-Corey
'93 240sx Coupe-Sold
'90 Miata-Sold
'89 240sx Hatch-Sold
'93 240sx Coupe-Sold
'93 Legacy Turbo Wagon
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

Corifto wrote:Yeah, I'm going to do it next weekend.

Sent from under your bed.
Get ready for the whole car to change in an amazing way. I couldn't beileve the change when I did the power mode mod on my n/a. Its a big change in preformance.
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Corifto wrote: Given I haven't done the "power" override, I think I'd have held him longer had I been able to have higher shifting points, and maybe if I had done 2-3 myself, (if someone can shed some light on that, I'd appreciate it.)
Here you go. As previously stated, its definitely worth the effort, and really not too hard to do.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Corifto
First Gear

Post by Corifto »

Yeah definitely doing it. And I replicated the situation, and realized that during it, I wasn't in power mode. Since I was brake boosting at the light, and went from holding it at 3k, to flooring it, it never activated the Power Mode. So hopefully when this is done, I'll have better luck.
-Corey
'93 240sx Coupe-Sold
'90 Miata-Sold
'89 240sx Hatch-Sold
'93 240sx Coupe-Sold
'93 Legacy Turbo Wagon
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Hmmm... see, I assumed you might have already been in power mode from the launch, because when I brake-boost I have it floored until it hits 9psi :D

Corifto
First Gear

Post by Corifto »

Nope, I had brake in, and slowly brought it to 3, and then floored it at the change of the light. And I don't have a boost gauge or controller, so I'm on whatever is stock.
-Corey
'93 240sx Coupe-Sold
'90 Miata-Sold
'89 240sx Hatch-Sold
'93 240sx Coupe-Sold
'93 Legacy Turbo Wagon
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

I know this doesn't really count cuz it wasn't me but my buddy killed a newer charger R/T with a DOM open sorce tuned 08 Forester XT with an SPT catback. Surprized the shit out of the both of us.
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Killed!... a BMW 760 tonight. At least I think it was a 760. It was definitely a 7 series and the fender badges read 'V12'.
Somewhere in rural Thurston Co., I found myself sitting at a red light next to said BM, which was creeping up as the adjacent light turned yellow. 'Here it comes' I thought to myself, while also keeping a close eye on the adjacent traffic lights as they changed to red, the slipping transfer clutch and missing front axle in the back of my mind. My foot was almost to the floor as my light turned green with the bimmer not far behind and the merge quickly approaching. My lead surged as his reaction was just slightly delayed (perhaps as a result of counting his Benjamins, his windows tinted too dark to tell), then I looked over to see that my lead was growing. The transfer clutch fully engaged by this point and full boost achieved, I was so proud of the limping Subie as she held her ground and forced the BM to yield in behind to proper loser tailgating, where it belonged.

Long story short: my 4EAT 22T legacy wagon, running RWD, beat a V12 BMW off the line up to ~60mph.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I got a cheap blow dealt to me a little while back after my swap. I had JUST sorted out all of my bugs with the 550 tune. Did a single 19psi pull on the highway up to about 7000 in 3rd, and my charge pipe blows it's c-clamp off, causing me to just start blowing black smoke if I go over 10psi.

At the very next light one of the guys from work pulls up in his '10 Mini Cooper S. SERIOUSLY?! I tried my damndest to hold him without flooding the engine, but with only 10psi and part throttle he handily got 3 lengths on my by 80. Which I guess isnt that bad considering he was flat-out. But still... worst timing ever.

just-rust
First Gear

Post by just-rust »

These are great!

I don't have anything except today some dude pulled out in front of me in a brand new Cadillac. I had to swerve into the other lane so I wouldn't rear end his dumb ass. He thought I rolled up on him wanting to race and I could see him say, "I'll smoke you." He was too dumb to realize he almost had my SVX plowing into his ass end at 50 mph. Oh, and of course then he wanted to fight me which was wonderful. Between him yelling at me from in front and me having to avoid his break checks, it was definitely the weirdest case of steering wheel tough guy I have come across. Not sure where his young rage was coming from. If I had time I would have stopped and laughed at him.
Rusty 1991 EJ22T - VF28 - '07 wrx TMIC - MBC - Invidia DP - Walbro 255 SOLD
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, with some neat stuff on it
93subis
In Neutral

Post by 93subis »

One night I was driving my dads 1993 Volvo estate 940 turbo wagon that was pushing around 15lbs boost(it was such a sleeper :-D ) anyways me and my dad were behind a 1998 Camaro z28 that lived down the road from us and we pulled up to an intersection I was behind hind and he comes off the corner right broad side and then gives it on a straight by now he's 6 car lengths away, I laugh and give it some and start pulling like a freight train on him and go by him like nothing at 90 :lol: we come to a red light and he pulls up to us like :shock: he then pulled down a side street in shame :-D .
93 legacy LS 25th anniversary sedan
92 Chevy K1500 Sport 4x4 5speed

"If in doubt flat out."- Colin Mcrae
"Life is so damn short, do whatever the fuck makes you happy."- Bill Murray
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Stories of F-bodies being taken down by turbo Volvo's (even in stock form) are plentiful :D

thewaterboy
First Gear

Post by thewaterboy »

I had an 850 Turbo wagon a few years ago. Great fun for cheap!
93subis
In Neutral

Post by 93subis »

yeah the 5.0 mustang kills, peoples faces, priceless!! yeah my dad only paid 500 bucks for are then we got a different turbo from ebay cause his was spitting oil out it (ewww) and a cold air intake and a catback exhaust that thing is so much fun the other night I showed my dad how to drift through an intersection through cars lol.
93 legacy LS 25th anniversary sedan
92 Chevy K1500 Sport 4x4 5speed

"If in doubt flat out."- Colin Mcrae
"Life is so damn short, do whatever the fuck makes you happy."- Bill Murray
Tbly89
First Gear

Post by Tbly89 »

I got killed by a jeep liberty (yeah I know sad) on a double lane to single lane on ramp to the highway. It was like the guy wanted to hit me, and the funny thing was I had the right of way. I was headed back from the junk yard with a quarter panel and I'd rather loose to a jeep then have to turn around and go get another one lol. I will admit, this being my first turbo subaru I'm still getting use to people wanting to race almost every time i go somewhere.

This thread is awesome by the way....great stories guys!
killajamal
First Gear

Post by killajamal »

Some of those jeeps are not to be messed with.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I've seen a 4.0L Cherokee Sport lay waste to an Integra. Looked up the specs later and it turns out those old little Cherokees are light as fuck for an SUV. Definitely sleepers.

killajamal
First Gear

Post by killajamal »

James614 wrote:I've seen a 4.0L Cherokee Sport lay waste to an Integra. Looked up the specs later and it turns out those old little Cherokees are light as fuck for an SUV. Definitely sleepers.
Yeah dude. Haha high displacement and a great power to weight ratio. Seen people get smashed by them. They now make even crazier ones I think though. Turbos and such.