Toyota can take over now

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Toyota can take over now

Post by entirelyturbo »

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/indu ... re-subaru/

This could be both good and bad IMO.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Dunno if it's clear what's going on, but we all know Toyota bought 8.7% interest in FHI after GM sold off their shares. Due to previous laws in Japan, they were prohibited from buying FHI out, but those laws have changed and now Toyota can legally buy FHI completely out if they want.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

If anything does happen, they better not replace the boxer engine. Improve it they may, but don't f___ up a good thing.
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

First a hatch only impreza and now this? Sheesh.
SUBARUEHS Racing
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

yeah if this all does happen and there is an I4 impreza...

1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Noooooo.... An AWD Camery? What is this world coming to?
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
jnorion
Third Gear

Post by jnorion »

skid542 wrote:Noooooo.... An AWD Camery? What is this world coming to?
Why would that be a bad thing? They've made one before...
~Joel
1991 Legacy LSi sedan | 1990 Legacy L wagon
MPtyza
Second Gear

Post by MPtyza »

Honestly, I don't believe an AWD Camry is a bad thing. I mean, if Toyota took over FHI, it'd be a lot easier to build a Hybrid Subaru, and in return they could have a (good) AWD system for their cars.

What's so bad about the damn Camry? All I read about at times is how Toyotas are bland styling wise. Who the hell buys a damn economy car or family sedan based on styling alone? Personally I'd rather have reliability over what some call nice styling. I like the Camry. I'd never own one, but not because others feel it's a boring car, but because I prefer my Subarus. I think an AWD Camry (again) would be a great idea. I believe they did offer one in the early 90's, but they called it All-Trac.

However, if they think they can waltz right in and put inline or V engines into new Subaru's, then they can go fuck themselves, that shit just ain't right. Improving upon the flat engines is just fine in my book. Hell bring out a 200HP 2.0L flat 4 that gets 30mpg, I'm all for that, just don't do away with the flat engine. I feel that they'd just kinda pool their resources, and let Subaru operate somewhat seperately, unlike the way GM does their shit.
-Mike

White 1988 XT6 FWD 5MT (#2) 229k
Rio Red 1991 Legacy SS 180k :( - Dead
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

My comment wasn't meant to be a knock to the Camry nor it actually being AWD. It was meant to reflect my dissaproval of Toyota and Subaru merging. I just feel that it would result in the loss of a lot of the uniqueness that Subarus posses. It's not that I have anything against Toyota's, my mom drives one and it does just great, but I just don't feel that they should be involved with the future of Subaru.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Keep the flat motor, or sales will drop. It's as simple as that. People buying outbacks and crap don't care, but the majority of subaru's target market will. Turn the STi into an I4, and I'd rather buy an EVO. It would be the best thing to happen to Mitsubishi.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I don't see Toyota changing Subaru much other than giving money. Something along the lines of Ford and Aston Martin. Toyota doesn't buy companies to absorb them or else they wouldn't have bothered building new ones like Lexus and Scion. They easily could've bought some established marques, but don't like to be saddled by old ideas, inefficient ways of building, and they don't need to.

Toyota is going to be number 1 because they are the shrewdest company out there. They aren't afraid to take risks (and can easily afford to lose as long as it doesn't affect their solid image of reliability), anticipate market trends just ahead (but not too far ahead), and are obsessively efficient. They generally don't build cars to satisfy enthusiasts because they don't have to. Thye build the best cars for most people - the ones who realize they're fundamentally to get you where you want to go without costing so much it precludes having a life and without having to get greasy under the hood every week. Boring as it may be I'd easily pick the new LS over the new Korean-looking S-Class. It's cheaper, more advanced, and will most likely be far less trouble. Over a Quattroporte, no - that car has too much character, though it's a stupid preference and tens of thousands will agree with me. You can always establish design studios for broader appeal, but it's tough when you have nothing else, no money, and your future depends on that alone. Let's face it - most cars are boring nowadays. Very few have any feel or connection to the road and all they can do is put big engines in to convince buyers they're sporting. Toyota is starting to realize the importance of design and I can't think of a safer place for Subaru to be.

GM buying them was much scarier to me.

I just hope they have Subaru sell that damn diesel so I can put one in an '84 hardtop.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

In posting this on another forum, I also stated that the only corporate relationship that I think has not gone bad was Ford buying Aston Martin. Aston Martin still makes beautiful, well-engineered cars, and use little, if any, Ford underpinnings.

Jaguar, Volvo, Land Rover/Range Rover, and Mazda though... :roll:

I should add that Toyota owns what used to be the maximum legal amount of Daihatsu, slightly over 50%, and as I understand Daihatsu still mostly does their thing only with a much larger bank account. The only thing is though, Daihatsu sells a Camry rebadge called the Altis. I hope we don't see a Subaru Camry :shock:.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

I never got the whole idea of selling the same exact car with just the name and a few cosmetic pieces changed. What's the difference between a Matrix and a Vibe? Not much at all, besides the perception that they're built by different people. The '00 Corollas and Chevy prisms were she same damned car - there was even japanese writing under the hood of a supposedly American car. All this redundancy with American automakers is rediculous.

All I can say for Toyota is don't fuck up such a good thing. Improve the small things, but keep things pretty much the way they are. I could care less about AWD Camrys or sharing hybrid technology, but I'd puke up a kidney if I EVER saw a 'yota motor in a scooby.
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Richard wrote:
All I can say for Toyota is don't fuck up such a good thing. Improve the small things, but keep things pretty much the way they are. I could care less about AWD Camrys or sharing hybrid technology, but I'd puke up a kidney if I EVER saw a 'yota motor in a scooby.
No Kidding!

Toyota makes great cars...but the reason that I like Subarus is because they have so much character and are different from all of the other Nippon auto manufacturers...

I never wanna see an STi with "VVTi" written on the back... :roll:
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

<--- loses dinner.
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

Toyota is one of the few big companies in the world with a AAA credit rating, so it is very well managed.

When it comes to engineering, the best way to design a front-wheel drive car is with a boxer engine. No doubts about this.

The problem with the change to fwd decades ago is that the main manufacturers then took an existing in-line engine and twisted it around.

They should have taken the expensive hit and developed a flat 4, such as Subaru did, as well as Alfa Romeo in the early 1970s.

With Toyota's marketing power there could be substantial increase in the number of fwd cars with the appropriate engine.
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

Subtle wrote:When it comes to engineering, the best way to design a front-wheel drive car is with a boxer engine. No doubts about this.

The problem with the change to fwd decades ago is that the main manufacturers then took an existing in-line engine and twisted it around.
how do you figure? Seems like 2 engines mated together and hanging 6-8 inches beyond the front wheels is an expensive way to get poor weight distribution. It's not as compact, either.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

aaah, 70's euro fwd's. 8)
alfasuds are cool as shit, but subtle, why would you say a flat motor is superior in the fwd layout other than for a lowered COG?
and you can see that in the alfasud it is very low:
Image[/img]

its possible to make a fwd transverse I4 with the transaxle in fron of the block.

wacky swedish designs:
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

My Fox has the engine non-transverse, yet it's fwd. Crazy Germans.
jnorion
Third Gear

Post by jnorion »

I had a VW Quantum that was the same way. It was nice though, it had a lot less torque steer than most FWD cars I've driven.
~Joel
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

I want a Quantum GL5 Synchro!!!

the (very!) poor man's Audi
Nick

206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

theres one for sale here right now. 5cyl 5sp synchro wagon. cool cars but WAY too rare for my taste.
can you put like an MC1(10vt) audi motor in a quantum, or are they the VW bolt pattern? 16vt would be pretty cool.
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

206er wrote:theres one for sale here right now. 5cyl 5sp synchro wagon. cool cars but WAY too rare for my taste.
can you put like an MC1(10vt) audi motor in a quantum, or are they the VW bolt pattern? 16vt would be pretty cool.

The GL5 synchro is all Audi running gear...so I would equate it to a 5000 Quattro...

so yes, the MC1 would most definately work

I think a 20 valve would be pretty tits in one of those
Nick

Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

Scottzg:

Beyond c g, drive shafts are of equal length, and while not perfect, a better natural balance.

That's in comparing four-cylinder engines. :-)
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
jnorion
Third Gear

Post by jnorion »

555BCTurbo wrote:
206er wrote:The GL5 synchro is all Audi running gear...so I would equate it to a 5000 Quattro...
It shares the chassis with the 4000, actually. Predecessor to the Passat.

And mine was FWD, not the Syncro version, but the engine was still mounted longitudinally.
~Joel