Friends don't let friends take cars to quick lube places

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

schspeedster
First Gear

Friends don't let friends take cars to quick lube places

Post by schspeedster »

TV station installs hidden cameras in Jeep and bring it to multiple Jiffy Lubes in Los Angeles area for oil & filter, fuel filter, trans flush.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

It pisses me off that they consider these people mechanics. That's like calling a McDonald's worker a gourmet chef.

Overcharging people for unnecessary services because they're ignorant draws no sympathy from me since it doesn't require a Harvard degree to learn a couple things about one of the most expensive and potentially dangerous items most people will by, but the bastards should at least perform that friggin' service.

I just changed my oil lying on wet ice last week (someone buy my wagon so I can reclaim my garage!) and I know it's done right and cheaper even using synthetics than going to one of those shit holes. And there's no way in hell they would've ever have changed the Mazda's cartridge filter.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

I don't really find that surprising. Those type of places suck, and I've found that chain shops dislike customers who ask questions.

Thankfully there are independent shops for stuff I can't do.
90 L+ wgn
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Having worked at a "quick-lube" place some years ago (more than I am willing to admit), I know that there are some tactics used to try and make more of some service than is really there. There was pressure to sell services like differential fluid changes, air filters and the like, simply to bring the per-transaction average up.

Thankfully the store I worked at never resorted to outright lying. Many people don't really take great care of their cars, so it's tricky to try and find a way to tell a customer that they need a service and get through their fear of being taken advantage of. I always took the road of reason and tried to explain what the service was and why.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Yeah, when I worked at Pep Boys (they don't try to sell you anything but their name brand tires over other brands sometimes and mention standard neglected maintenance items) you'd get people in wearing jewelry with three kids and no brakes on their minivan, yet complain about the cost and think you're trying to screw them. I always liked to show them what stuff looked like as if it didn't speak for itself, the customer wouldn't want to look stupid for not seeing the obvious problem. Well, most of the time. Some they had sign a paper before they left showing that they refused service on their dangerous vehicles. Scary what some idiots out there drive around in.

Boat mechanics is really a dream job in comparison - they're a luxury item and you can refuse the PITA customers or toilet boats (because there was no way you can make money on a boat that's really neglected). Plus they're a hell of a lot cleaner and people don't treat you like a panting mustached guy eyeing up their kid.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
schspeedster
First Gear

Post by schspeedster »

How many Subarus have needed major repairs before their time, as the result of a lube "tech" removing the wrong drain plug, adding 4 quarts oil to the crankcase, and sending the customer on their way with an empty trans or front diff... :cry:

If an A/T service with fluid & filter replacement is actually done, what are the chances a quick lube tech will find and use the drain plug instead of dropping the pan. Newer 4EAT's use a spin-on filter, I'm sure the tech will manage to find an oil filter that fits.
92ss satinsvoice
Third Gear

Post by 92ss satinsvoice »

i my self have had jeffy lube work on my 92ss. only once because i didnt have the time to do the work my self and i was running close to 500 miles over do of a change.

i had them do an oil change to my car. and i watched them the hole time. im extremely protective of my car and dont let anyone work on my car that i dont know. let alone drive it, the only people that have drivin my car are my Brother and a Ralli-Tek mechanic. but if i know you very well and you KNOW your shit about cars like me. then all is ok.

it was really funny because when i was there one of the lube tech's was asking me how he could take the head off his b18a1 engine. witch i explained to him how to do it while they where doing my survace.

ill go they again, but ill watch them like a hawk. :twisted:
Andy
94 L n/a 5spd, Rip
92 ss burgundy, weekend toy - owner since 2006
mods: too much to list, lost track after $16,000
91 ss champagne - Rip
93 L wagon - Sold (in the family)
97 OBW LTD - Sold (in the family)
88 Leon GL Hatchback - DD
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

I'm not surprised in the least.
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=486]1995 Legacy Outback 5MT[/url]
185,000 miles
www.sl-i.net (for all Legacys!)