Cessna car prototype model - redesign

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Cessna car prototype model - redesign

Post by evolutionmovement »

Finished this to about clay model standards (not display model detail). This was what I was going to build before my unproductive talk with the DMV. I've abandoned this for something better, but I was already half-through the thing, so I finished it. The wood dude is almost to the same scale (1:18 ), but if he were, he'd be about 6'9" and he wouldn't fit inside. Looks good as a display set on the shelf, however. The car is a Cessna 150 fuselage with a complete Goldwing 1800 drivetrain. The hubless wheels were just a bit of futurism and easy to make. Also didn't bother with the driveshaft and bits of suspension or steering.

Image[/img]
Last edited by evolutionmovement on Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

That's sick.

What's the new design?

I dig everything about it except the side and rear windows. I feel like they need to be taller considering the cowl height, for visibility.

Was the rear going to be storage or house the drivetrain? I take it the whole front "engine compartment" would be storage?
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

The windows are as the plane has. The firewall back is Cessna 150. It's an overhead wing, so that's why the side windows are low. I also didn't model the sunroof panels some came with. The air intakes on the sides are for the radiators. There would be some storage above the engine and behind the seats. The dash was going to be huge and I had some fun plans for it, but the new one won't have the space. The front area is mostly just suspension and steering with the battery and linkage off the steering to turn the headlights. I also didn't do the cycle fenders that would taper back to a vertical fin to house the auxiliary blinkers and marker lights. I also found that a mid engine design is not optimal for a tadpole 3-wheeler since the unladen front inside wheel will tend to lift (even if that limit may be damn high). Turn in response is about half the time of a sports car and they almost never oversteer anyway, so there's no real need for the mid engine.

The next one will resemble something of a Gee Bee R2 with a large bubble canopy towards the rear, something like a P-51 Mustang's. The NACA cowl wiil be functional, covering the A/C condenser and radiator with the drivetrain enclosed in bodywork for aero reasons. The drivetrain and a bunch of junk will be 2.0L S2000. It will be a 1+1 tandem seater. Entry is from sliding the cockpit back, which will be automated with a key fob blipper. Even the stereo will probably be unique. I'm modelling it next, but in the same manner (foam insulation covered in wood filler). I may do the interior if I can find a suitable scale canopy I can use in a hobby shop to cover it with.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Thats cool man.

With that body and the goldwing drivetrain it would probably get about what, 45mpg highway?

I really like the P51 mustangs. Now, you're talking about the D right? They didn't all have a bubble canopy. Now if only you could replicate the open header Merlin V12 sounds...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=1
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

P-51D and up. The bubble canopies are the ones most people think of rather than the razorbacks, probably since they were unable to accompany the bombers for the full length of their raids. Don't think there's anyway to get a high revving 2.0 4 to sound like a truck-sized low rpm V12. The sound of those old war birds gives me goose bumps. I thought of a I6 as a better approximation, but there's just so much useful shit in an S2000. I also found a dyno sheet on a stock F20C and it made 100lbs/ft @ 2000 rpm @ the wheels so it should be adequate for about half the weight vehicle.

I figured in the 40-50 mpg range with the Cessna fuselage due to the superior aero over the Goldwing even with the weight penalty. With the low frontal area, weight, low drag, and higher final drive than the S2000, I'm hoping for 50's mpg with the one I'm actually going to make.

The canopy will likely be a Vans RV-4.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Maybe you could talk to Bose about noise cancellation technology... Cancel the wrong exhaust pulses, let the right ones out, voila I4=V12? Maybe?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Redesigned for a small front-mount diesel engine. The vents behind the wheels are the exits for the shrouds that direct the waste air that leaves the radiator. The windshield (s) have also been redesigned so that the center piece can be a flat safety glass to allow for windshield wiper/washers and to make the DMV happy. Also added windows in the roof above the doors. I'll be putting in an infrared camera just above the grille.

Anyone know of any Cessna 152 fuselages hanging around, preferably out of certification and reasonably stripped (I don't want to pay for what I won't need)?
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

whats the fuselage?

like the whole body of it?
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

SubaruNation wrote:whats the fuselage?

Have you ever heard of Google?!
:lol:
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Yes, it's the body of the plane. I plan on using everything between the tail and front bulkhead. I think it's going to be fun. And very frustrating. I'm really looking forward to doing some interesting things with the interior.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

555BCTurbo wrote:
SubaruNation wrote:whats the fuselage?

Have you ever heard of Google?!
:lol:
can you read?
no never, i dont own google stock and i dont know that they own 68% of all internet search engine searches....
thanks anyway... :smt015

i was asking so i could give some information, my uncle is an aircraft engineer and i might be able to help find one here.

how are you going to put on a bumper?
ha ha not to "crush" here but if you crash that body of the plane will crumple. are you going to put a frame on the inside also?

i mean you should be ok getting hit from the back, but the front could be another problem.
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

No bumpers. It should still qualify as a motorcycle, but it should meet the standards for a car as well. It's considered a home built so safety issues aren't as applicable, though adding a tubular bumper would be simple enough. I'm planning on an internal cage as well as longitudinal alloy beams, like a backbone chassis, to act as frame rails connecting the engine to the rear suspension arm. This is all preliminary as I have to actually get the fuselage first to really see what I can do with it. This is all mainly to make it stiff and fairly quiet as I intend this as a transcontinental vehicle.

It will never be the safest vehicle I could drive, but that's really about my last concern. There are a few things that I'm afraid of, but dying isn't one of them. I have a DNR order, so they won't keep my alive too long as a vegetable and if I'm paralyzed, I'll blow that little straw on the motorized chair and wheel my ass off a cliff first chance I get. I think I'd go into the Atlantic - I've always felt such a strong connection to it. Just in general, I don't want to live any longer than the length of my plans anyway. What most people think of as fun doesn't interest me and the idea of retirement doesn't even register. My only problem is that my plans keep on expanding. At some point, like most artists, the connection to whatever or wherever generates the ideas we get fades and goes away. When that happens, instead of becoming a drug addict with the time left, I'll just disappear. I can't stand waste.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

i see, well i'll look into it for ya, shipping will be a bit expensive i bet :)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I'm hoping to find one local. There's an airport in my town and a bunch of others within a few hours. Lots of flight schools are dumping these on the market now, bringing down prices on all of them and I want one that's not even close to airworthy. I figure I'll check the airports for junk. Transport shouldn't be bad as I'll just rent a trailer and tow it. Shouldn't weigh much more than a few hundred pounds.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

i see, cool.
keep us updated!
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Just don't drive it backwards for a extended period of time please.....

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

HOLY SHIT!
ha ha ha ha :lol: :smt118
that is awesome!
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Backwards would be aerodynamically inefficient as well as less stable.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

evolutionmovement wrote:Backwards would be aerodynamically inefficient as well as less stable.
right...

did you see the video or are you just pretending you dont get it?

he's just kidding
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I get it, but it was predictable.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

evolutionmovement wrote:I get it, but it was predictable.
thats what i figured :roll:
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I've not been in much humor lately either.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

too much thought about how terrible everything is?
ha ha me too, but then i realize that i will move to cananananada soon and be better (maybe)? i dunno.

current events, politicians, reality, religion, and my wallet all scare me :shock:
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

oh right,
i forgot ben bernanke, international relations, propaganda, the media, foreign nations, china, china, china, sovereign investments, investments, the economy, hillary and otters :shock:
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Look for aviation technical or A&P schools in your area, or a college that offers aviation courses, they always have hulk fuselages hanging from the rafters or stacked up in the back yard.

There's one here in Queens by LaGuardia with about 20 planes in the back.

ps Be careful about mounting steel components to aluminum sheetmetal, you'll get corrosion pretty quickly. Ask any Land Rover owner...
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen