So I'm cruisin along @75, minding my own business...

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

beatersubi
Fifth Gear

So I'm cruisin along @75, minding my own business...

Post by beatersubi »

The story starts out...
I was on my way home after a particularly hard day at work. I had worked about ten hours, my phone had become kaput and I was in a generally bad mood.
So, I'm on my way home, travelling southbound on I-5 just south of the 74th st. exit. I was pacing a bimmer, 540, doing the usuall 70-75mph when the bimmer suddenly changes lane to the right (into the #2 lane). I should've taken this as a sign, as we'd been cruising at about the same speed for the last couple miles. He slows down, I'm about to change lanes in front of him when I spot... A TROOPER, closing from behind at high speed (for a Crown Vic). He flashes on his lights. So I'm hoping beyond hope that he'll stop the bimmer... if it wasn't for bad luck, etc.

So much for wagons being transparent to cops.

The pig is giving me the usuall 'well I clocked you a 72, but I only wrote the ticket for 5 over' schpeal. And he's a decent guy, for a state robot. Let me off with a warning for defective eqipment (cracked tailight, severly cracked windshield) and also a warning for no proof of insurance. But I'm still peeved. The state takes enough of my (our) hard-earned money as it is.

The piont of the story is... does anyone have any good tips for contesting a valid ticket?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

Good luck.

He probably did radar the two of you, and due to your "other"issues, you got picked.

They always do the " but I dropped it to _ less that you were going thing"

Good luck contesting it.

If you REALLY want it gone:
Write in for a court date.
Then ask for an extension ( about 2 times)
By the third time, the tropper will not show, and you might get lucky.

But then again, I had a judge who said:" I am taking the trooper at his word and holding on the fine."

And I am a LE officer also, so good luck there.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Yeah, contesting valid tickets is kinda a futile practice...

You might be able to get them to reduce it, or get traffic school?

dscooby- what agency do you work for?
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

In MA, they almost always knock half of it down if you request a hearing to see about bringing it to court. Never bothered bringing it any further. These cars are getting a little old now to be transparent, especially when you have other issues for them to notice. Cops profile and an old car gets attention, one that's damaged more so, modified even more, and driven by a minority, fugetaboutit.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

step 1: plead not guilty at your first court date, then at the next hearing start on step 2
step 2: never admit to doing anything above the speed limit. just say
"To the best of my knowledge i was doing the speed limit" dont say "well i was going a few mph above the posted speed limit"

Step 3: ask to see the calibration record of the radar gun or laser, and the up to date officer's certification to use the radar gun or laser.

a lot of times the cop wont even show up to the hearing, or wont come prepared. a bunch of my friends have gotten out of speeding tickets by doing so. so far its only failed 1 time. its worth a shot just so it doesnt go on your driving record and then in turn up your insurance.
-93 2.2T (RIP), 93 N/A best car on earth.
-00 legGT, 18" PIAA sport mesh wheels, front/rear Rallitek sways, lowered whitelines, coming soon: 2.5L sti internals, 20g heads P&P, twin charged. motor is almost ready to go in.
Andrew
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

thehookeup wrote:step 1: plead not guilty at your first court date, then at the next hearing start on step 2
step 2: never admit to doing anything above the speed limit. just say
"To the best of my knowledge i was doing the speed limit" dont say "well i was going a few mph above the posted speed limit"

Step 3: ask to see the calibration record of the radar gun or laser, and the up to date officer's certification to use the radar gun or laser.

a lot of times the cop wont even show up to the hearing, or wont come prepared. a bunch of my friends have gotten out of speeding tickets by doing so. so far its only failed 1 time. its worth a shot just so it doesnt go on your driving record and then in turn up your insurance.

Officers are not required to use a radar gun or any other similar device to assign you a speed for a ticket...So the whole calibration thing will fall on deaf ears.
Nick

BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

If you do get a dumb ticket in the Seattle area, I've successfully used Jeannie Mucklestone and prevented a ticket (2 lane changes at once -- dumb!) from going on my record. Basically you pay ~$300 and thats it. It's still cheaper than having a(nother) ticket on ones record for 3 years and higher insurance premiums.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

If they use a radar as the basis for the ticket and the gun is not up to date on calibration, that can help.

A friend of mine got rid of a ticket because the gun used was two years out of spec.

Now if they pace you, I think you're screwed.
90 L+ wgn
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

Anymore, I fight just about everything. I'd rather fight than go quietly. This isn't related but the other night we were shooting off some 'legal' fireworks and this town cop walks onto my buddy's property. I stood and watched for obvious reasons when I heard him tell the cop to get off his property, now... He threatened a lawsuit and I was just about bursting with joy. No offense to any cops out there but I enjoy seeing the law taken down a few notches, there's way too many cops out there and waaaay too many people in jail.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
NuclearBacon
Second Gear

Post by NuclearBacon »

dude, i was on I-5 two weeks ago and a trooper got me for doing 72....

BUT HE GAVE ME A TICKET.

i'm fighting it in glenn county court on the 24th of september. i have a copy of the california state penal code and vehicle code....

One of my (nerd) friends got out of a ticket by proving the cop couldnt have gotten him on radar using Trig.... i'm going to find out how that happened... and use it.

i'll keep you posted
-Luigi-
....Yes like nintendo
1987 GL10 Sedan 3.700 LSD
1988 XT6 FT4WD 3.900 Diff Lock
1992 EJ22T Touring Wagon 5MT Swap 4.111
Murphy
Third Gear

Post by Murphy »

in kentucky its doesnt just go on your record automatically

if you ticket is marked "payable" they give you choices as to what to do
-2 weeks suspension (no fine)
-ticket fine (usually $200+)
-points (no fine, but it goes on insurance record, and you can only get 12 points and your liscnece is suspended)
-traffic school
-community service (usually not an option but sometimes the judge throws it in)
1990 Legacy LS, 4EAT
1983 Peugeot 505S Turbo Diesel
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Thanks for all the good tips!
So far I'm planning on contesting and extending two or three times just to see if they take any action. I once contested a ticket from Shelton PD and they dismised it.
I'm pretty sure he radared me, as he came out of nowhere and there are some notes on the ticket that I don't recognize. I think they're related to how he radared me though. Under the cited speed is writen:
(L-1329 / 196.1ft)
Any ideas?

I don't have a problem with cops in general (besides their self-illusion of excessive authority, and usually their inferiority complex). We, as a society, need something to keep us from doing whatever we want all the time. But I just hate to give more money to a government who wastes too much as it is and doesn't give anything in return.

Thanks for taking the time to read my crappy blog.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Murphy
Third Gear

Post by Murphy »

beatersubi wrote: (L-1329 / 196.1ft)
maybe: Radar model / distance shot was taken
1990 Legacy LS, 4EAT
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Probably Laser. Did he aim and shoot like he was shooting a gun?
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

I didn't even see him until he was behind me, but I have seen other highway pork aiming like that.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

yeah i actually did a ridealong with a wa trooper and a guy went flying by us and i was like..."uhhh are we going to chase him?" and the trooper said no because he didn't have his radar on and it doesn't hold up in court. lol.

but yeah i got pulled over last night by a dupont cop because of my muffler.....wtf?! i didn't know they could do that. i got a $124 ticket.

dupont cops apparently have nothing to do if they're writing 'exhaust modification' tickets.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Murphy
Third Gear

Post by Murphy »

what are dupont cops? i know its slang, but what odes it mean

ive always wanted to do a ride-along, but from what some people have told me is that they just sit filling out paper work on tickets n stuff most of the time
1990 Legacy LS, 4EAT
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

hahahaha dupont is a small kinda hick town in WA.

i was just passing through there to get on the freeway when i got pulled over lol.
-Aaron

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

I work for Uncle Sam, for Imm/Customs stuff, but I work with a lot of local LE's.

As for the Muffler tickets, I ask them how in the hell you find a stock muffler for a 14 year old car.

As long as it was not very loud, you can get out of them.

But if it sounds way louder than stock, you are hosed.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

hahaha yeahhh mine's pretty loud. i went to a fair and the guy who was directing cars on places to park said he heard my car coming in and was going to park me in the back because he thought my car was a big ass truck.

so the cop had a reason to give me a ticket lol.
-Aaron

smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

My mom just married a friggin pig ( I call him bacon boy and his kids bacon bits). I havent even met the guy but he MAILED my dad a ticket without even pulling him over just because he was driving.

So um yea I kinda cant drive through Woodland WA cuz he knows my car.
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I saw a cop pull a Vibe over on a narrow, somewhat blind entrance ramp last night. I'm sure the guy was transporting sex slaves or not-for-export material to the docks to an awaiting Iranian ship in international waters or something to justify the unsafe place to harrass someone. Good for you, suburban cop, I'm sure it will be the bust of the century! Losers. I would have loved to have seen a Dodge Ram come flying around that corner and take him out. I would've just driven over the grass median and kept going, a rare big smile on my face.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Bitter?
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Man, everybody hates us cop types :cry:
Nick

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Authority corrupts and those who seek it are usually the most corruptable. I don't have as much problem with real cops other than a general distrust of authority (happens with an alcoholic father and a Catholic school education, although I think I was born this way regardless), just harrassment officers (mainly suburban and rural) and (city) parking Nazis who's sole purpose is revenue gathering with an occasional bust for show. That said, Far worse are the court systems that let criminals go or that fail to protect people in danger (while simultaneously limiting the victims' ability to defend themselves) on the occasions where the cops actually do a useful job and arrest some prick. But those cops are usually not the traffic wardens.