stepping back in time

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

azn2nr
Fifth Gear

stepping back in time

Post by azn2nr »

seriously. coming back here is like steping back in time. no evolution. just the same 10 topics comming back up again as if they havent been answered a million times before.

its nice to see a forum that helps n00bs as it always has but its seriously depressing to see all the same faces i started out with so many years ago. i mean even ciper is posting again.

i guess i just wished there was a little more reading instad of new threads and some more creativity in modding. dare to be different. set the new standards, and dont let anyone say its impossible.

sabb 900 intercollers being talked about still is problay the most depressing
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Not a very friendly or intelligent way to return, Jason.

If you don't like this place anymore, then just don't come back.

People are going to post n00b threads. It's the nature of the beast. They might not just be new to Legacies, they might be new to Internet forums.

I used to be a big n00b basher, but it just makes you look like an elitist douche, not to mention just plain gets boring.

I'm always excited to see OG members come back, as they're the ones who usually answered all my stupid questions when I was a n00b, and I'd dare to say I'm even semi-friends with some of them, even if it is only over the Internet.

I'm thrilled to see ciper posting again, as he is a very knowledgeable person with Subarus and cars in general. I enjoyed vrg3's recent return, although it appears he's on hiatus again.

And if it's these kinds of posts that made him decide to leave again, I don't blame him.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Well, I agree it has gotten pretty stale because most of the original people are gone. The problem is that these cars have fallen into the age of cheap-beater price/needing major restoration due to age, but aren't worth the investment monetarily. Combine that with these not being flashy cars that attract people and a garbage economy, and you've got the high-attrition dead zone that will see few survivors by the time these cars are appreciated enough to be saved and restored by more than a few fanatics. Most people bought these as fun daily transportation and they were, but now they're old, have high mileage, and naturally need things that make them less reliable to count on as a daily. Those of us who bought them years ago when they were practical now have jobs and lives that demand are more turnkey vehicle and so we've moved on (how many of us have now bought new cars? Even I did because I had to, even if the old Subaru is a better car). What's left are kids who can't afford something newer, but can afford a little time in exchange for a car that's actually fun to drive. Those of us with money and time for toys are moving on to actual toys. The practicality of these cars was a great benefit for years, but has now become almost a liability. If we were talking 2-seat, rwd, 2200lbs., there'd be more appreciation for them and their market values higher.

As far as modding goes, those that can afford more than a Saab intercooler, buy a dirt-cheap 2001 WRX (or something not Subaru at all) and have something much newer and potent as a starting point.

So dammit, more people need to buy and talk about my book so these cars can gain a new cult following and appreciate in value. I want to see Duchess clones driving around and have an excuse to either get the real one on the road again or sell it for decent money. I'll even autograph a dash plaque with my name and as Dante Moretti.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Yeah, it's getting to the point where it costs more to make these cars keep up with the newer cars than to just buy one of those newer cars used.

This chassis, as tough as it is, is still not near as stiff as a GD/GG WRX, even without taking age into account. So any fancy turbo engine will just overpower it, and to reinforce it is adding too much weight and spending too much money only to be even with the newer stuff.

I still can't believe that my car is almost twice as old, and has over twice the mileage it did when I bought it.

That said, I'm hanging onto it almost purely for its sentimental value now...

... although it is nice to get out of my Honda and into this car and remember what torque feels like.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I think he's just not looking close enough. The degree of innovation has continued to increase around here. Look how many swaps there are, engine and transmission. We've got RS-RAs out there, lots of FMICs, and the next best things to a ScanGaugeII for the car.

Granted, I took the "easy" way out and got a newer car, but that was four years ago. I've owned the GT as long as I owned the TW now.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

I agree the forum has turned stale, but I still feel its a good community and visit daily. I might not add a lot to the board anymore cuz my cars done, Im older and more professional then I was when I first got on here. (2003?) I got married for christs sake, and put my spare cash into other things.

But I think this forum works for the most part, and has certianlly served me well. I like to hang around thinking I could be some help to some of the newer peeps, but no one ever asks........oh well....

I can still always get on here and just argue for the sake of arguement, right? :)

God I feel old....
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

There is a lot of repetition coming from new members with old questions. That makes it seem old to those who have been here a long time, but this is still a great board.

There are more old topics than new topics, that's the nature of discussing a single generation of a car.
90 L+ wgn
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Think about it this way, When this site was made, was it 2001?

I was 10 years old!

When i was born, the first generation of these cars were just being made and now im ripping the damm engines out!
FastRust
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Every site has repetition going on. That's just the way it is. It's not NEARLY as bad as some of the more modern Subaru sites I'm currently on or have been part of in the past. The newer sites with all and bandwagon people/fanboys are very annoying in that many people are trying to mod their WRX's and have no business picking up a wrench. If I see another question about what intake or injectors to get over on MNSubaru, I'm gonna start smashing my keyboard with my face.

I spend more time here than any other car site due to the fact that the people here are more clever with modifying these older cars. We don't have the luxury of a plethora of bolt on parts that we can slap on and call it a "build." We have to find ways to adapt parts and work around issues that were never dealt with by the aftermarket since these cars were not a hot item back in the day compared to what the whole Subaru moniker is now.

Nothing of importance bolted on to my car, and honestly, I'm proud of that. I had to work to make things happen. I had to make my own parts to get what I needed/wanted. That's why I like the forum. We have to get creative, and honestly, its hard to find that on most forums, whether is be Subaru or any other make.
Last edited by 93forestpearl on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

While I post nowhere near as much as I used to, I still lurk and answer when I can help.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

damn, way to be a total buzzkill OP. No evolution? These cars are OLD, yeah things have been done before and over and over. It happens. People with the $$ have moved on to newer models and $$ allows the cool stuff to happen.

Creativity? Please, please don't tell me that new model modders are more creative when they just point to pictures in a catalog and have the guy install it. Almost every mod here is custom.

I'm done with my wagon. I spend my beans on keeping it running. It's old parts keep popping but I still love it. I have a feeling a lot of the "OG's" are in the same boat.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah creativity and customization just to make about anything work is one of the main reasons I like the older cars. Plus their unique. Not just another WRX or STi running down the road.

It is the road less traveled...
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

Kelly wrote: I might not add a lot to the board anymore cuz my cars done, Im older and more professional then I was when I first got on here. (2003?) I got married for christs sake, and put my spare cash into other things.
In fact..................
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=37429
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

Kelly wrote:more professional ..
$50 a night professional!!!

Or

Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Re: stepping back in time

Post by jamal »

What's funny is i've met more legacycentral guys in the last few months than I have since I joined.
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

I'll agree that the BBS doesn't have the same fast pace brand new ideas that it did when I first signed up. But I think when I signed up it was in the real 'hay-day' of learning what these cars can really do in a consumer mod sense (we all know about the WRC but who has $200k to play with :)).

That said, there are still things that are new and happening. Recently we had a member join who is very familar with SVX trannies and was able to help us install/mod a switch to keep the TCU in power mode.

These cars do have a limited span though. I can't even get Grp N mounts for the 90-91 struts as FHI isn't making them anymore. These cars also cost more than the new one to mod to a similar performance.

But it is very nice to throw down good numbers and be the only 4-door sedan in Street Mod at the auto-X and place. These cars still do alright with mild mods. And for those wanting to go all out, there are members here who have put the last 6 years to use and made truly amazingly fast beasts.

One thing that fluctuates but is still always present, the BBS is a strong family if you will and that's not something easily found on internet forums - remember when that guy on Nasioc tried to call out Frank, BlackBart, and everyone went over and put the guy in his place?

Long live the BBS :)!
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

Word.

AZ2niner , if you are bored buy an RSRA or something.

Yes I agree, I would like it if people were not putting SAAB ICs on, but would you rather this site actually be dead?

I number amongst the young guns who in the last few years bought the 1st gen b/c I couldn't afford the WRX.

But I am so glad that I found this path. And I NEVER would have without the vets of this board answering all my stupid newbie never held a wrench before questions with authentic interest.

Not necessarily interest in my specific questions. But authentic interest in validating the curiosity that I or whatever other N00B is showing the car. The car that we love. The car that we love so much that we smile at how shameless evolutionmovement is at plugging his book.

Because we ARE a cult. Even though that word gets thrown around too much. No one else understands. And we like that all the more!
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You've seen my money? I write questions in the top margin on the back of every bill I have to spend with the website address in the bottom margin. It's all totally legal, free, and quite shameless.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.