Cash for clunkers: 49 t-legs RIP

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

legacymax
Second Gear

Cash for clunkers: 49 t-legs RIP

Post by legacymax »

found this, I understand that a few of these probably didn't even run but I bet a few of them were pretty nice. It is amazing to see some of the cars that were turned in.
http://www.cars.gov/files/official-info ... hicles.pdf
-Max
94 legacy Silver Touring Wagon now w/ 5spd, Ground Controls, ej20g, rear VLSD, td05, and edms.
95 impreza Rally car. 3.0 H6
88 Toyota fj62 OME lift.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Some of the stuff on there doesn't make much sense. A Scion xB? A 2006 350Z? I wouldn't take $4500 for my '06 Z, but maybe that's just me? :smt104
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

No, you're right Dan - some people are just plain dumb. There are a LOT of rides listed that should have never been clunked!

Typhoon, TVR, AMG benz, 05 RX-8..... DB7!
SUBARUEHS Racing
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Almost 500 '93-98 Supra's.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
brand
First Gear

Post by brand »

Can't assume the value of a car based solely on it's make/model. An AMG Benz isn't worth much if it's 90% rust and barely runs.
91 SS with a bunch of parts waiting on the shelf
94 SS with things and such
08 STI with stuff and junk
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Lots of SVX's listed too. What a shame.....
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That can't be right. Who in their right mind would destroy a supra!

There was like 127 SVXs on there too. :(
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I actually posted this article on my Facebook and Twitter feeds last week:

Industry Analysis: Notable Victims of the Cash for Clunkers Program.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

A lot of those aren't even supposed to qualify for the mileage requirement. And what dealer would turn those in when they could pay the moron the credit then toss the request form to the government and sell the car for more. The cars had to have been driven in and registered for at least a year as well, so these aren't burned-out wrecks. None of it makes sense unless there's some shady title problems, but I don't see how that would get by the C4C easier than any other way. And I think the GNX is BS as they're so rare and I don't know if the VIN even indicates GNX over GN. I'd buy a trashed regular GN, possibly (which still sucks), but I'd have to see this GNX (along with some others) with my own eyes (in fact, according to the report, Regal is only listed generically, so may not even be GN's and I have my suspicions with the Legacys as well, but if it is true, then there's our proof the SIA production figures are bunk! I also find it strange there are no Subarus listed older than 1991). Some of those exotics I expected as they're essentially worthless, not all that desirable otherwise, and nightmares to own. They seem like a shame because you're not the owner (like the Maseratis).

I'm amazed there are that many Sterlings and LaForzas around to be traded in!
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Grr... i fucking hate the government. Especially because the great majority of the dealerships that participated in C4C still havent gotten paid.
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

The numbers on just about every Toyota make is through the roof. Damn.

And someone clunked an 06 Roush F150? Waste.
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
legacymax
Second Gear

Post by legacymax »

the turbo legacy was the only legacy that qualified for cash for clunkers right?
-Max
94 legacy Silver Touring Wagon now w/ 5spd, Ground Controls, ej20g, rear VLSD, td05, and edms.
95 impreza Rally car. 3.0 H6
88 Toyota fj62 OME lift.
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

I hope those Legacy Turbos had nasty rusted bodies. Imagine destroying a Touring Wagon to replace it with something like a Civic! :smt091
90 L+ wgn
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

that literally breaks my heart. I can almost guarantee that most of those t-legs were owned by some old dude/lady who just got sucked into the C4C BS and ruined a perfectly good car any of us would give our left nut for!
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

There are a LOT more titles out there than cars if you are in the TITLE business!!!!!

I bet a few or more of these clunkers didnt EXIST!!!!! just the titles!
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

Ya, all the "Uknown" have got to be a little shady.

I mean obviouslly there was some shady stuff going on, with 02 Haundais and stuff.

2 500e's
An Aston?

This whole thing smells real bad. Just wait a couple months, and all the fraud will start coming out of the woodwork and there just not gonna be able to figure out how car dealers could be dishonest?

soobrdad02
First Gear

Post by soobrdad02 »

Make sure to check out all your local "junk"yards, the Cash 4 Clunkers program just sent all of those cars their way! Last week I came across a showroom SVX. Dude had to have kept it in his garage and babied the hell out of it. The the flawless, albeit odd-looking leather seats currently reside in my garage awaiting a transplant into Suicide Alice, my '91 Leggy wagon. Since it's a "family" car the leather'll be a big upgrade and certainly worth the fab time to make 'em fit! Unfortunately, when they clunk 'em they destroy the engine's internals with a silicate substrate which renders the engines useless. A hang tag is usually affixed to the manifold in plain sight and most places spray-paint the engine so we don't end up taking home a broken heart. So keep your eyes open, someone else's loss (stupidity) could be your gain! Now if I could only find a clunked '90-'94 SS to take the face off of I'd be doing okay...
"All four wheels spin? Huh, that's AWD..."

*1991 Legacy wagon, 4EAT, n/a*
*1966 Chevrolet C-10 pick-'em-up*
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Good point, we may find more spare parts out of this tragedy. Also, I've heard they aren't supposed to sell the entire car out the junkyard. But if you find a gem, they may be persuaded to let it go in one piece.
90 L+ wgn
soobrdad02
First Gear

Post by soobrdad02 »

I actually offered the guy at the junkyard an extra $250.00 on top of whatever I would have paid for the SVX, but he informed me that ALL of the cars that got clunked have titles that can NEVER be registered again. It's basically like the VIN never existed. Sad, but true.
"All four wheels spin? Huh, that's AWD..."

*1991 Legacy wagon, 4EAT, n/a*
*1966 Chevrolet C-10 pick-'em-up*
LostinMaine
In Neutral

Post by LostinMaine »

yeah but if you fine a cheery example... the parts alone would be worth no being able to register it, plus i would enjoy the irony of having a extremely nice parts car sitting next to my SS
Co Founder of MaineSubies.com

91 SS, in need of some major TLC (work in progress)

Im lost in Maine, but ill find my way out eventually
roundeye
In Neutral

Post by roundeye »

the chassis of these cars must be certified as crushed. there is no way they can sell them without facing huge fines. they are also not supposed to sell the drivetrain complete, but they can sell you every part of it, as long as they're separated. whats really funny, is the number of cars on this list that get 25+mpg, and/ or are on the list of non- allowed cars. a 2008 hyundai accent? thats just a rolling smog generator! same for the 2006 corolla. can't breathe with that trap cruising the streets. thanks for saving my life, obama. I feel better already!
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

If anyone clunkered a 500E...they need to be shot

I call BS on that list though...seriously...it shows two 1985 Audi URquattros were clunkered...I'm pretty sure folks who own the rarest year of URquattro aren't gonna be clunkering those suckers
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

Guess what? The real joke's on us! We are all going to foot the bill for this!

Is collective lunacy great?

My stomach turned to a rock when I read about the Supras.
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
epicfail
First Gear

Post by epicfail »

Bdub wrote:And someone clunked an 06 Roush F150? Waste.
The truck, or that it was 'clunked'? :lol:
[quote="RJ93SS"]u fail, epicly[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]Don't do drugs, kids, men may not need nipples, but we look a lot funnier without them.[/quote]
mavx
First Gear

Post by mavx »

smh0101 wrote:Grr... i fucking hate the government. Especially because the great majority of the dealerships that participated in C4C still havent gotten paid.

move to iraq.

now.