Jalopnik running slowly on your computer?

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

mike-tracy

Jalopnik running slowly on your computer?

Post by mike-tracy »

One of my favorite car websites recently made a drastic change in it's software, and my dual core AMD computer is no longer fast enough to run it. Seriously, a website doesn't need to take up 50% of my processing power to be able to run.

The solution? the Canadian version of the site still works with the old format which uses <1% of my processing power. The address is:

ca.jalopnik.com

and seriously, if you haven't been reading the site, it's worth your while to check it out.
-Mike
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Re: Jalopnik running slowly on your computer?

Post by n2x4 »

The new format sucks terribly. I've been using the uk and ca links to browse the gawker sites but it's only a matter of time before they update. When they do, I'll abandon them completely. Such a horrible redesign.
SUBARUEHS Racing
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Which part of the site is slow? I just tried browsing a few articles (XP SP3, Firefox 3.6.13, Flash 10.2) and the cpu usage is nothing. What browser you using?

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Yeah, I don't visit Gizmodo as often now. I might abandon it completely. Terrible redesign, not user friendly at all. Apparently, there's also a lot more ads, but Chrome seems to do a good job of blocking them, so I can't say personally.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

BSOD2600 wrote:Which part of the site is slow? I just tried browsing a few articles (XP SP3, Firefox 3.6.13, Flash 10.2) and the cpu usage is nothing. What browser you using?
I'm on my mom's computer right now. I put in a 2.61ghz AMD FX-60 (the king of socket 969!) dual core processor and 2gb of ram, running XP-SP3 and the latest firefox. When scrolling up or down, the combined processor usage is 50%, and if I "set afinity" to either core only, it goes to 100%.

My personal computer is a socket am2/am3 dual core processor, similar in specs but much more powerful than the FX-60, 2gb ram, XP-SP3 and it does the same thing, 50% usage over 2 cores, and 100% over 1. Scrolling is jerky and loading pages is much slower due to the buggy/non optimized code (imo).

My school computers are higher end core2Duo and they handle the site fine. 4gb ram and xp-sp3.

My point is that 3 year old hardware should be able to run a site just fine. Other than the gawker sites, my computer is speedy enough to handle anything, including recent games.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

SUBARUEHS Racing