Help me choose a new ride

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Help me choose a new ride

Post by evolutionmovement »

Keep in mind that rust protection on most manufacturers has deteriorated in the last 10 years from a high point in the early-mid 90's (though some never got it right). My 2006 Mazda already has some rust starting and my sister's 2001 Maxima was so rotted behind the bumper that I think the only the hoses kept the radiator off the ground. There's a few other Maximas of the same bodystyle around that are even worse, with the sills all rotted out. Toyotas and Hondas also (but I don't think Honda ever really got their shit together as far as rust protection). I even see some Mercedes and BMWs built in the last decade that have some rust starting.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

PhyrraM wrote:
Apex3 wrote:If you're looking at SUVs, my friend's sister has an Acura RDX and it's actually really nice, I wouldn't mind owning one if I were in the market, I'm not a big fan of SUVs though.

RDX...is that the Turbocharged CRV or the Larger on based on the Pilot?

I can see the CRV based one with a turbo being pretty fun and unique.

The MDX loosely based on Honda's Pilot, although the later Pilot isn't as highly rated as previous Gens, and the MDX is still well done.
One of CR's top-rated SUVs, the first-generation MDX has a strong 3.5-liter V6, independent suspension, and standard all-wheel drive. For 2003 the V6 gained 20 horsepower. The split third-row seat folds flat into the floor. The ride is firm but pleasant. Handling can get a bit twitchy in emergency maneuvers, even with the standard stability control that arrived with the 2003 model. The cabin is well-appointed and quiet, but some road noise is noticeable. Standard head-protection air bags arrived for 2004. The larger 2007 redesign brought a 300-hp V6, somewhat better agility, and a dashboard full of buttons. The third row is still tight for adults. Crash-test results are impressive.
RDX:
The RDX, based on the Honda CR-V, uses a turbocharged, four-cylinder engine that provides strong acceleration but has uneven power delivery. The engine lacks refinement and it doesn't have any fuel-economy advantage over a V6. The five-speed transmission shifts smoothly and is responsive. Handling is agile and secure, but the ride is very stiff and road noise is pronounced. The interior has excellent fit and finish. Some controls are fussy and could be better designed. The front seats are supportive, and the rear seat is fairly roomy but a bit narrow. Crash-test results are excellent.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

I personally love the Spec B's. I plan on buying one once I get a few more years in on my apprenticeship for a DD so I can build my SS for track/fun car. It's like the perfect car for my taste. Luxurious, pretty quick, easy to maintain, looks badass, but not an eye catcher for the piggies or the ricers.... and its a subie! I dont think I will ever buy anything but a Subaru again... If I won the lotto I'd probably have a skyline, supra, and MR2... but that's not gonna happen so I still with Subies :D
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'll throw in my two cents....your criteria do lend itself to a tough choice. I don't care for the German cars outside of warranty....and even with them inside of warranty, it's still a pain in the ass taking them to a dealer. I have friends that had an X3 and they hated it. Traded it in on a Q7, and while they've been pretty happy, it's an SUV, and probably outside of your price range. The volvos are nice, but they too have their maintenance issues items. Most of the European cars are going to be outside of their warranty based upon your criteria and that puts a lot more risk and potential cost onto you.

I'll throw in my vote for a spec B or a Lexas if you want more up-scale. Or you can just get a moped :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

Well what did you end up getting? I moved on to BMW and I love both of them. I originally picked up a 325i with 40k miles on it and was amazed at how it handled and how comfortable it was. Then I picked up a newer modified M3 and I smile every time I look at the car or ride in it. It's a little harsh on the torn up city streets in Omaha but when I lived in the mountains of colorado I drove both of them through the winter (with snow tires) I even took the M3 snowboarding to A-Basin and Breckenridge a couple times. Great cars, and the traction control systems are extremely good.

I can't speak for the X3 but my cousin in Ireland has an X5 and he likes it.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

ok well, no new ride for me. I was let go from my new job of 6 months. Long story and I'm not getting into it for now.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That sucks dude. Sorry to hear that.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Small change of thought here. This subaru is totally "new england" rusted out! I'm not about to do another shell swap into another 17 year old shitbox! lol Its a pitty that I spent so much money on the engine rebuild and everything else but I need to get rid of this thing before I lose a brake line and it kills me.

My options are:
1. try to sell the car in whole for whatever I can get for it.
2. Pull the engine and electrical bits and scrap the body and maybe someday I'll be tempted to do a swap into something else.

I still need to either trade in the G35 or sell it outright either before or after dealing with the subaru.

I really could use the cash from the infinity and I figured I could get something a little newer that would be AWD and kind of nice but in the range of about 5-7k ish.

I'm leaning towards a high mileage (80-100k) either audi

What are your thoughts?
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

HAHAHAHA! You know mine! But, I don't blame you about the Subaru. The thing that sucks and is the reason I still have mine is that they're really not worth anything, even parts-wise now. Plus that's more work and time to part something out. If someone had wanted mine, with its OK shell extra EJ22T and all, they could have towed it away for $2k, but no one bit. Maybe where yours is running and AWD, you'll be able to move it. The recent snow might help.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

My only comment regarding a high mileage Audi is that you may be biting off more than you want in regards to maintenance....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

I'm all over the place (on here and in life lol) I'll only post the car hunt topic in here rather than in the fuel neck post :)

The "wife" has talked me out of the 328xi and we're going to look at a couple of lexus this weekend. I'm thinking at my age and since we are talking about having a baby that I should invest in a more reliable awd sedan vs a coupe. On the list is the GS300 awd.

I'll let you know how I make out :)
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
SUBYLUV871
Second Gear

Post by SUBYLUV871 »

Lexus IS250AWD
thats my vote. theres a reason why audis are nicknamed "autta notta bought it" lol. good luck with your search. Image i mean look at all that trunk space.
Cheep quality aint good, Good quality aint cheep
1998 legacy l wagon
1988 ford ranger prerunner (my baby
)
1994 legacy GT non turbo wagon
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

lol, I'm taking the is250 out of the picture, way too small and "chick" car looking. I did look at a silver GS300awd on saturday which was pretty nice. I was wondering why the whole right side of the car had small door dings and the left side was perfect; right up until I felt the masking line all the way across the roofline from the a-pillar to the rear door latch. The whole left side of the car was repainted. I'll keep looking thanks :)
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale