Name my shop!

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

Binford
Third Gear

Name my shop!

Post by Binford »

First, a little background. :)

As some of you may know, this time last year I was living in a crudely converted school-bus, parked at my work. Technically homeless, lol. In February I was finally able to move into a shop that I had been waiting for a long time to become ready, complete with living quarters. Having a shower and toilet is nice! :lol:

I quit my job of 10 years 2-3 months ago. I was THE car audio guy in my town. Only shop in town, only installer. The reason I quit was to take over my parents cleaning business, which is in process. I've been doing some installs on the side, including some jobs for the local Subaru dealer. I'm to the point that they need to 1099 me so they can be all legal like. :wink: I expect some pretty regular repeat business from them, especially once winter comes, as AstroStart car starters are a big deal around here. So, I'd like to go Legit and open up shop. My main focus would be car starters. I don't plan to stock any stereos or speakers, but have options to buy them as a dealer.

What would be a good name? There is a mechanic a block away named the Pit Stop, and another one next to me that just opened, the Finish Line, named to spite the owner of the Pit Stop. :lol: My shop is between both of them, so what is in between a pit stop and the finish line in a race? :P

Everybody knows me as JJ so I thought "JJ's Mobile" or "JJ's 12volt" or the like, but I want something not so ordinary. Also, my shop may progress to other categories, such as performance. Because of my work schedule, I stay up past midnight to work on projects. "Midnight Creations" is a name some buddies came up with some years ago when we all hung out all night working on "creations", and is pretty fitting for my use. I'm on the fence with that one, but I keep coming back to it as I can't think of anything better. Any Ideas?

One more thing to consider. I'll be running the cleaning business out of this same shop, which I will also need to come up with a name for. I don't know if I should keep them as two separate entities, or if it would be beneficial business-wise to combine them. That way I can run everything as one sole business, requiring much less paperwork (business liscences, insurance, taxes, etc.) I'm not planning to officially take over the cleaning company until my parents retire in a couple years, but I'm needing to get things rolling on my installation business ASAP.

Sorry for the rambling order of my question, but I wasn't sure how else to include all info here! :lol:
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
Binford
Third Gear

Re: Name my shop!

Post by Binford »

Here is a shot of what the inside looks like. 8)

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... =1&theater
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'll have to think about this one....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Post by Redlined »

BIKINI CAR WASH!
Dave

Post by Binford »

Redlined wrote:BIKINI CAR WASH!
Hahaha! Yeah! :lol:

I also thought "UMC Installatitions".

Ultra Mega Chicken :wink:

I'm random. :)
silver03
First Gear

Post by silver03 »

What happens in between pit and finish? Usually crashes...Crash Audio!
Chefasaurus
In Neutral

Post by Chefasaurus »

FREE HOOKERS AND BLOW

(and car starters)...
--Evan

1977 Mercury Monarch - "Project: Monarchasaurus"
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4eat - "Project: Teh Subacabra"

Vanity Automotive and Marine Detailing
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Or straightaway Audio, though i think crash sounds better lol
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Uncommon Mobile Creations
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

silver03 wrote:What happens in between pit and finish? Usually crashes...Crash Audio!

That's funny cuz my nickname used to be Crash back when I lived in Az! You have to push the limits in order to find them; now I know where they are! lol

I'm seriously thinking about "The Installer". I've introduced myself as "JJ the installer" many times, I think it works. Then I could name the cleaning company "The Cleaners" :lol:
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Between the pit stop and finish line there could be a Clean Pass.
90 L+ wgn
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

You are welcome to use my name that I never used because I never opened up shop. It can be interpreted as car audio or anything else car related.

Custom Car Creations. Sorry, no logo for you to steal but something with 3 c's would be cool.

JJ's custom car creations doesn't sound too bad...
also, I suggest telling people you install "remote starters" not ""car starters" that makes you sound more like a mechanic and any old boob can install a starter. It takes a smarter boob to install a remote car starter, plus it sounds a whole lot cooler.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Cash, Credit, Cannabis?
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Post by Redlined »

I like The Installer
Dave

Post by Binford »

I think I've decided on "Instalz by JJ". Anybody good at coming up with logos? I haven't a clue. :D
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

I wouldn't worry too much about a logo or a sign or a business card really at this point. Logos are used to establish brand recognition. You aren't selling a product and you arent marketing a specific product, you are marketing yourself. Any advertising will likely be word of mouth so something simple with just the name sounds low budget and cheap but anything else will cost you money.

You could find a pre-made one for sale here: http://www.logo-search.com/ for about 10 bucks

or find a local graphic artist who would charge you no less than 500 + to design your own.

oh yeah, the other huge thing is that logos need to be vector files so they can be scalable.
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

Thanks for the input Mike, I appreciate it! I know I'm "thinking big" but I've got an idea in my head for the logo, I just don't don't know how to make it come to be. I contacted an ex co-worker that works at a sign/design shop in Minneapolis and he's going to try to get something together to see if I like it as a favor. The logo would actually be my signature of "JJ" in cursive, so it's not like some random logo. :) As far as business cards go, I've known people to get some made up and gave them out initially, but really wasn't as useful of a tool as they'd thought. I'll probably just get a "business card kit" at Wal-Mart or something super cheap. I've had people ask for a card a bunch of times already, but I know how that goes. :roll:
Chefasaurus
In Neutral

Post by Chefasaurus »

"Instalz" looks very juvenile and uneducated. It tells your potential clients that same thing... juvenility and lack of education. Not that you are, and not discrediting your work... but business is all about image. It's all about what people think of you, before they even come to you. Hence why my business name is "Vanity Automotive and Marine Detailing." My business slogan is, "Because when you want everyone to look at your car or boat's shine, that's Vanity." It gets in their heads, and tells them, "hey, absolutely, I want everyone to see what I'm driving."

Just my $0.03.
--Evan

magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Evan,

While we are on the subject, I took a look at your business cards you have posted on the FB page. I'd recommend using a white "outer glow" on the text that is laid on top of the photos to make it easier to read. Its really hard to read the text as its being drowned by the photos.

I'd also spring for your own url. its really cheap and makes a huge difference appearance wise on a business card if you can have evan@vanity.com vs evan.vanity@gmail.com

Just trying to help out with a little constructive criticism, hope you don't mind :) This also applies to binford :)
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Chefasaurus
In Neutral

Post by Chefasaurus »

They text that's hard to read on the card on the picture actually has a foil overlay to it. It pops a lot more.

And I already bought vanitydetailing.com, but my web designer is kinda turtle-ing along. He's also my best man in my wedding, so I can't get too mad. :D
--Evan

magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Chefasaurus wrote:And I already bought vanitydetailing.com, but my web designer is kinda turtle-ing along. He's also my best man in my wedding, so I can't get too mad. :D
lol, dont tell him I told you but you can set up your email directed through that domain even without a website. you may just have to purchase the hosting if you arent already or were waiting for the site to be done before paying for that.

Its pretty simple to setup and you could probably just do it yourself. you would however need all new business cards :(
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

APEX.

Apex installs.

Apex Audio.

Apex Mobile

It even starts with A so you will be at the top of the listings.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

biggreen96 wrote:APEX.

Apex installs.

Apex Audio.

Apex Mobile

It even starts with A so you will be at the top of the listings.

Nice! :D Thanks! I will kick that one around!