My SS has (re)arisen!

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

Tleg93
Fifth Gear

My SS has (re)arisen!

Post by Tleg93 »

Just being dramatic but I did just have all the rust repaired and had it painted flat black. It looks awesome! So no more rio red, now I've faded to black.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Re: My SS has (re)arisen!

Post by Redlined »

*chants* pics pics pics pics pics pics
Dave

Post by Tleg93 »

Heh. Yeah. I'll get some posted as soon as I get the chance. I think you'll all like it. The whole car was flat blackd', even the trim. So no silver streak along the doors...or anywhere. He also painted the grill all black. All I'm missing is the legacy logo that sits underneath the rear side window. My only complaint is that he didn't get to the trim above the window, along the roof that always peels off, revealing silver underneath.
I've got an engine sitting around that I'm getting ready to dig into. I told my mechanic that I wanted to bore it out and stroke it; adding stronger internals in the process (connecting rods, valves, possibly cam, seals, etc) and he seemed into it although he did say that using NA heads and an SS block is better (or was it the other way around?). I haven't decided which way to go on all that.
So it's decision time because I also want to get a TD04 and the TMIC that legacyej22t (Matt) has been telling me about. And don't forget the down pipe, cat back etc. So there's some work to do mechanically but at least the rust has been taken care of and I don't have to obsess about that all the time.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Post by Redlined »

the stock SS block is extremely strong. you may get some more power boring and stroking but if your worried about breaking components you really don't need to. the short block is good for more power than you'll want to run on he street. The heads being the bottleneck for power. best upgrade is the dual overhead came heads off a 2.0 (thinking that might be what your mech was talking about. the 2.2 n/a heads? Id look deeper into that. personally never heard anything about it and realistically don't see it working that way. updating to the TD04 is a big step in performance but ontop of the exhaust issues you have already listed your gonna want bigger injectors, a walboro fuel pump and a jecs MAF to contend with the increased fuel dutys. In my opinion, start setting up your exhaust,intake, and start looking into a ej2.0 head swap. that way when you DO do the turbo set up the car is ready for it and youll get the most out of the upgrade.
Dave