JOBS WHAT DO YOU DO

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: JOBS WHAT DO YOU DO

Post by kimokalihi »

That's something I'd never want to do. I hate fixing cars. When its mine its ok but other peoples cars, hell no.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

kimokalihi wrote:That's something I'd never want to do. I hate fixing cars. When its mine its ok but other peoples cars, hell no.
Amen!!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Ironically enough I do it quite frequently but that's because I'm a nice guy but I wouldn't ever want to do it for a living for complete strangers.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

yeah, i used to be a mechanic but its just not fun after awhile. maybe its because i dont like working on all different cars. id rather just work on subarus.

i also do the same, but its for my friends and i dont mind. because when it comes time for me to REALLY need help doing something. they come over pretty much no questions asked.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I wish. Nobody I know works on cars.
speezly
Second Gear

Post by speezly »

I dont mind working on peoples cars, even if they arent subies, but i completely understand the "armpit of the dealership" comment. Owning a Subaru dealership would be the real cream dream.
93 Legacy l AWD 5mt
87 GL-10 Turbo 5mt
Grayguy
Second Gear

JOBS WHAT DO YOU DO

Post by Grayguy »

I don't even like to do maintenance on my own cars. Pretty much unless I want to do it, I don't like it haha.

I work for an excavation company, I do everything from running dump truck, to operating, to building custom parts we need. I love it, working indoors is for suckers, and is working all year round haha. Here in the frozen north once the ground freezes we just wait for it to snow so we can all go snowmobiling haha
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Post by Falken-18c »

I might be looking into an train engineer as course as it 40.000 to start and you can get up to 80.000 fast.
Also it a high demand in canada and it only a 10 week course so im thinking thats alot of money for the legacy lol.

What do you guys think. Its only a 10 week course i guess if i do it and dont like it in the end its not that much of a deal.
Its not like a 2-3 year course then after it like why did i do this lol.

I never even thought of this until i was talking to a family friend that does this and it sounds pretty good somthing i might be interested in and he makes 100.000 are a little better.
legacywagon
In Neutral

Post by legacywagon »

kimokalihi wrote:Is that cool? I should apply at Subaru. Looks like a cush job and you get discounts on subaru parts. Can't be worse than this job and best of all you get good hours. Never work nights again! Woot Woot. Wonder what the requirements are? Then again I never see anyone different working there so they're probably not hiring.

Seems strange that it would be commission based. Why is that? You're not really a salesman but I guess they pay you to be quick? That doesn't seem right, there's never been a big line when I've been in. I used to work at the lincoln, mercury mazda dealer as a lot attendant. Interesting job but it sucked. I drove a lot of cars but being mainly mazda, they all sucked except the MX-5.

Its a decent job as a parts guy, can be a headache sometimes with chrysler with so many parts being on backorder and as confusing as there system is. Good hours for sure, but any dealership you go to.. the parts guys have usually been there for awhile so when there is an opening its rare. I would love to work for subaru or honda.. or even toyota since they are going to be messing a little bit with subaru now.

Its commission based to push us to sale over the counter. Though most of our sales are through service with the techs pushing extra sales on top of what already needs done. Its a good job just stressful at times.
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

I'm a territory sales manager for a beer distributor here in CT. Stressful, fun, informative, aggravating, long hours, annoying, ever-changing...that describes how the job can be at any given moment, haha.

I get a company car which is great as well, seeing I probably drive like 1,000 miles a week. Which makes sense as to why my 2008 vehicle has 116,000 miles on it!

I am glad I don't work on cars though. My girlfriend's father has been a master certified ASE mechanic for somewhere around 25 years and he absolutely HATES his job.
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan