G0D Dam Fu#king Tweakers- Stole the test mule

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

So this morning between 3-4 am a f-n drug tweaker used a shaved key and made off with the Workbench/Frankenstein/Test Mule for Rob car.

It is the only car we have without an alarm.

Guess I will be fixing that.

Thankfully the @$$hole parked it where the neighbors called it in to the police and we got it back within the same day.

But he pretty much broke/gutted the interior, did a few minor exterior dings.
Center console and stereo surround are broken.
He stole the stereo, the boost gauge/ and the LM-1 Rob loaned us that he was using for tuning.
Then he syphoned off the gass ( spelling??)

So the car is back home, but with all of the damage, we are reporting it to Insurance to see what they can/will do?

I was expecting it to be stripped, but the dumb @$$ was not a subaru person.
That was the only saving grace.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: G0D Dam Fu#king Tweakers- Stole the test mule

Post by kimokalihi »

This is my nightmare. Shaved keys. Is there no way to make it not open with a shaved key? Seems ridiculous that this is possible.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
euroshark
First Gear

Post by euroshark »

good thing mine has no motor and its in my garage. i will be getting an alarm for it even though it will soon only be seeing the wide open track while i pass fords lol
http://r-hgarage.com/ -CLICK ME
92 legacy ss 5spd white- track car
03 wrx wagon 5spd silver- DD
84 chevy k20 4spd 4x4 blue lifted on 35"- wheeler/heavy hauler
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

kimokalihi wrote:This is my nightmare. Shaved keys. Is there no way to make it not open with a shaved key? Seems ridiculous that this is possible.
Secret ignition/fuel kill switch
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I've thought about that...where to put it.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Post by Falken-18c »

just do the fuel switch. are make it clip and play. unplug when your done plug it back in. there probly to stupid to look under the back seat.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Too ibconvenient. Want to use it every time.
MikeyMeyagi
Second Gear

Post by MikeyMeyagi »

wire it to the window lockout button. lock the windows, car wont start.
94 Supra Turbo 6 speed. build in progress
98 Lexus GS300, single turbo 2JZGTE swap. daily driver
93 Impreza wagon, home brewed n/a-t ken block themed winter drift missle

*sold*
94 Alpine Sport Wagon... STi conversion, rotated turbo etc
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Nice. Twice I think I hit that by accident cleaning the door panel and took me a while to figure out why my windows wouldn't roll down.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

The best thing about it is to figure it out yourself. In my GL, I broke the ignition by using the key to me previous GL by accident, so I took the 1st GL's ignition out and located it behind the dash below and to the side of the steering wheel. There was a little pocket there that had a knock out for the, I think, the switch for the 3rd Eye driving/fog light option, but the knock out was the perfect diameter to match the key and nothing else. I left the broken ignition switch in the column. Not that it was a theft risk, but good luck to someone trying to steal it by jimmying the ignition. A purposeful kill switch, I'd locate so that my movements couldn't be detected as something unusual to any kind of observer (so, no awkward reaching under things and such). I like the idea of a bank of switches, labelled as if for something else, that have to be flipped in the correct order to start. They could even be located somewhere visible and easy to access that way. None of that stops them getting in there in the first place, though.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

That suck, Drew. Tweakers are drain on society. Local law enforcement should offer a bounty for their pelts.
After got my stolen wagon back, I wired a stock-appearing switch on the dash, in what was a previously blank spot, to the fuel pump ground. I also though some sort of jumper under the dash for ignition power or fuel pump power would be a good idea. That way it wouldn't start unless the circuit was completed with some sort of jumper wire and not simply a switch.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah it's gotta be quick and easy so it doesn't piss me off on a daily basis but also effective and unnoticeable.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Dude, I'm sorry, that absolutely sucks. He even stole the fuel? Damn.

For what it's worth, shaved keys are a lot more effective on old locks than on new ones, so one thing that can help is to put new lock cylinders in every once in a while. That's expensive and a pain because you have to rekey them or get new keys too, but it's an option...

I suggested in another thread that hiding a magnetic reed switch behind the coin tray or something would make a switch that was hard to spot but that could be activated just by putting a magnet in the tray. I still like the idea.

If I were really concerned about this, though, I'd probably rig up an immobilizer like the factory puts on newer cars -- put an RFID tag on my key and put together a reader and a microcontroller, and somehow let the microcontroller decide whether the engine will run. Maybe have it interrupt the MAF ground with a transistor, since turbo ECUs won't run without a MAF. It'd be more work, but it'd be completely transparent when you were done and it's unlikely that a thief would understand how to bypass it if there's no relay. You could fit all of it inside the ECU's case if you used an external antenna for the RFID reader.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Post by Falken-18c »

[quote="vrg3"]
I suggested in another thread that hiding a magnetic reed switch behind the coin tray or something would make a switch that was hard to spot but that could be activated just by putting a magnet in the tray. I still like the idea.

I like this idea best so far
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Post by Redlined »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRNVxHPJ0hM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee3L9BQQ4Gs

also I suggest starting a legislation to have car thieves bunked in jail with Gorilla rapists.
Dave

Post by dscoobydoo »

I am going to go with a car alarm.
I put a clifford on the other SS and It is nice having the car lock and unlock by a button.

I like the magnetic switch idea, and if i was not going to do an alarm, then that would be my choice.

The guy is lucky I did not catch him.
Being a car guy, stealing my car is pretty high on the list to get your knee caps broken.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Just remember not to keep the magnet in the same pocket as a debit/credit/rebate card.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

vrg3 wrote:If I were really concerned about this, though, I'd probably rig up an immobilizer like the factory puts on newer cars -- put an RFID tag on my key and put together a reader and a microcontroller, and somehow let the microcontroller decide whether the engine will run. Maybe have it interrupt the MAF ground with a transistor, since turbo ECUs won't run without a MAF. It'd be more work, but it'd be completely transparent when you were done and it's unlikely that a thief would understand how to bypass it if there's no relay. You could fit all of it inside the ECU's case if you used an external antenna for the RFID reader.
I want to do an RFID type thing with my Link on top of the alarm. There's an input for security which turns off fuel & ignition outputs when enabled. I just need to find an RFID setup that will work.

Honestly....if you know what your doing alarms aren't overly affective for a determined thief. They do help for the would-be theifs.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

What was that magnavolt commercial from....? I seem to recall it was from an 80's movie....possibly Total Recall....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
oldscoobyturbo
Second Gear

Post by oldscoobyturbo »

did I spot a blue loyale in the parking lot as they follow the theif to the probe lol!
movie was robocop
Silver 99 Legacy GT Wagon
White 90 BC5 RS Type RA
Black 01 Legacy Outback H6 Wagon
http://s684.beta.photobucket.com/user/d ... l/library/