Revtronix site gone forever

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Revtronix site gone forever

Post by Legacy777 »

I know some may have snagged pieces of the site, but it always exceeded its bandwidth after a few days of the start of a new month. This time, it's not even showing up. Can anyone else still access it?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Re: Revtronix site gone forever

Post by AWD_addict »

If you need to look up an old site...to the wayback machine!
http://www.archive.org/web/web.php
90 L+ wgn
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah I was trying to make a copy of it on my server. I was able to get some of the stuff from the wayback machine, but not everything is there. I was leaving myself reminders at the beginning of the month to try and grab what I could from the main site before they exceeded their bandwidth.

I may have put this project off too long and won't be able to do it....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

I've got bits of the site saved from 5/12/2010 -- basically all the chip related stuff.

CDM20600.exe
revscan.htm
REVScan.zip
RVX00001 User Manual.pdf
ssm1cable.htm
stage1chip.htm
stage2chip.htm
stage2update.htm

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

Well fellas, after a couple of years with the car sitting (while I was busy finishing a degree and keeping food on the table), I finally got some time to get the engine back together and the car running.

Short story is, I never got ahold of the last version of Revscan (that would clear codes and stuff). Anybody have it available?
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

This stuff makes me :lol:

Hate to say I told you so. But I hope you guys that are stuck with it get what you need.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Mine is still working great. If I ever have any problems with it, it'll be MegaSquirt time for me. :-D

It wouldn't be very difficult for someone with the right chip burning equipment to read a stock ECU chip and then read the two switchable programs off of a Rev chip and do a simple compare to see what is different between the three, once you know the differences you can easily with a little experimentation and logic figure out what tables were changed and what function each table has in the chip. Most of the hard work was done by Mike and can be reverse engineered with access to his programs. Chipping the stock ECU is really quite easy, but the community for these cars has never been big enough to make it happen reliably. I mean, GM vehicles have lots of chipping solutions and tuning programs with ECU bin definitions, Honda vehicles have the same sort of thing, Nissan ECUs for SR20DET swaps are programmable. Even Rob has done the same thing for EJ20G ECUs. Our ECUs aren't much different from those, just noone with the skills and the time has taken a crack at it yet. Except Mike, and he was in it to make money, not to help the community.

I don't have the right chip burning/reading equipment and I don't feel like making that investment when I could do a MegaSquirt and have much more control and a more modern ECU out of the deal. I am OK with spending the effort, but not really excited about spending the money to set up for burning replacement chips for our ECUs.

Both the stock ECU chip and Mike's replacement are fairly common chips, based on a 27C256 and a 27C512 respectively. The hard part comes from understanding the code ran by the fairly unique 8-bit processor. I haven't been able to find a datasheet for it, so having the three different stock and Rev programs would be a big help in my understanding the table layout in the ECU instead of only having one program (stock) to try and find things in.

I have the latest version of RevScan available here:
http://www.thecornman.com/REVScan.zip
Last edited by Alphius on Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

Apex3 wrote:This stuff makes me :lol:

Hate to say I told you so. But I hope you guys that are stuck with it get what you need.
At ease, Chief. This was still the best idea and implementation up to that point. The unfortunate flaking of Mike without ay least passing the hardware onto someone else was not any more predictable than any other event.

Be glad that this pushed Rob into this market in a way that doesn't require a lot of tech knowledge to use. Admit it, if you are going to wire a standalone, you are much better off timewise to just swap a modern WRX setup. I'm not going to argue, and no, you don't get to say I told you so.

Anyway, its nice to be driving the car again. I forgot how fun the handling is.
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

ScottyS wrote:
Apex3 wrote:This stuff makes me :lol:

At ease, Chief. This was still the best idea and implementation up to that point. The unfortunate flaking of Mike without ay least passing the hardware onto someone else was not any more predictable than any other event.

Be glad that this pushed Rob into this market in a way that doesn't require a lot of tech knowledge to use. Admit it, if you are going to wire a standalone, you are much better off timewise to just swap a modern WRX setup. I'm not going to argue, and no, you don't get to say I told you so.

Anyway, its nice to be driving the car again. I forgot how fun the handling is.
Not any more predictable?? Uhh, that's exactly what I had "told you so" about, so yes I do get to say that, but alas, no one believed me. This shit was sketchy from the start, read back and you'll see I warned you. I've been around these things longer than my join date suggests and believe me, this is not the first time I've seen the same exact thing happen.

It is good that Rob is involved though, as he does seem to be someone you can trust.

EDIT: Actually I think there's some misunderstanding here, sorry if you took that personally, I was speaking of the entire situation, not about your specific issue, I hope you get what you need.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

My .02 worth.......and may be a repeat of a previous post....

I personally met Mike in B.C. - twice - and he was a stand-up guy for all the time I worked w/him online and thru the mail. He may have 'been in it for the $$' but since this is the land of the Capitalist, I can't fault him for that. But he was smart enough to know (very smart, IMHO) he wouldn't make 'bank' on the chip for EJ22T - just too small a market. I think he genuinely was a Subaru fan.... He also built up his own Legacy SS, so he did own one, too.

It was interesting that his 'shop' was the one-car garage behind his parents' house, and he used the term 'we' to sound more professional when describing his services on his website. As far as I could tell, it was a one-man operation. I remember when I drove up, going ...WTF? :-)

My theory about his departure is health-related - not his, but his parents. The BOTH had cancer from what he told me (I briefly met his father), and they were constantly on some kind of treatment plan. I believe they moved to Cali to get healthy. No proof, and I've never heard from Mike once he left B.C. - I think he just had to do what you do for family. I have no idea Why he didn't pass along his knowledge to someone else before leaving.

I don't regret working w/him and using the Revtronix chip. I learned a lot - that I used on my future projects, and made 180HP/230Torque @ the wheels (50% more than stock), w/just a TD04, 440's, a TMIC ....and the chip ....on the otherwise stock EJ22T.

And I respect anyone smart and capable enough to start their own business based on their own ideas and make a go of it. I know he didn't intentionally screw anyone over, but sure some stuck w/the earlier chip versions may feel otherwise.

Peace,
Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

If there's a lot of drama going on in his family, it's understandable that this kind of small, non-money-making venture would be far back burnered or forgotten about entirely. I can't think it would be a priority with both parents having cancer. I put my own stuff on the back burner for loved ones all the time. That's partly why the second book is only going through production now, I still haven't drawn my car designs on the computer, and Duchess has been parked for 6 years with only occasional periods of work. The people I haven't cut out are very important to me and take precedence over anything material and if I'm like that, it's a guarantee a lot of other people are even more so.

I had been considering his chip if I ever got around to Duchess, so it's a little disappointing, but I can understand why and don't blame him. Maybe he'll eventually get around to passing this on to someone, but he'd have to find someone who'd be willing to do it as a labor of love as well, as I'm sure the money is not really worth while and I can't think he'd be too interested in spending his time on that.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I wouldn't have met you Todd, if you hadn't been going to visit Mike as well. Matter of fact, you were the second person on the BBS I met IRL besides the previous owner of my car (rockethound).

Not really sure where I'm going with this other than for me the best part of this site is the relationships I've made over the years. Getting a sweet car out of it is just a bonus. :)

So yes, disappointed Mike went away before my car was ready, doubly happy Rob stepped up to the plate. I'd like to see a last revision Revtronix chip vs a Robtune some day on the dyno, back to back on the same car, etc.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.