interesting fix

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

JDMSLIK
First Gear

interesting fix

Post by JDMSLIK »

not subaru related but an odd one I seen recently.

Buddy called me up for a second opinion. His freightliner hiab was having some issues and he found a quick fix.

http://youtu.be/ZI4cHe9tIYA

After the vid we took the tcm apart and narrowed it down to one of the motorola built chips. Problem is trying to find the chip now. Trying to find the ecu has been surprisingly difficult.

Anyways had to share. This one was weird. I don't recommend anybody try this. He found this fault when he thought the ecu was frozen this winter and heated it up with a heat gun. The problem got worse so he pulled the tcm out and put it on the dash over the defrost vent. Recently it got so bad he couldn't drive two blocks without the tcm disabling his shifting. At an intersection it disabled himself and he happened to have a torch beside him. Voila!
Like I said, don't torch your ecu. It probably won't help
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: interesting fix

Post by Legacy777 »

I wonder if the issue is with the solder joints, and not the chip.

If the solder joints are cracked, it could be making intermittant connection and heating it up causes them to expand or make contact.....I know that may be a stretch.....but that is weird....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

That's not actually too uncommon for bad solder joints, although, it usually seems to work the other way around.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
JDMSLIK
First Gear

Post by JDMSLIK »

ya that's what we were thinking as well. Heat was making contacts expand and touch. Buddy has alot of experience with electronics ie: circuit boards. When we pulled it apart he showed me how he already went over almost every soldered connection. We were suspecting it an internal connection in the chip.