Looking at this wagon 2006 SUBARU Legacy Wagon 2.5i Lt

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

CCorsair
First Gear

Looking at this wagon 2006 SUBARU Legacy Wagon 2.5i Lt

Post by CCorsair »

found this one to maybe replace my aging red wagon http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/3223479433.html drover it feels nice the wanted $12K told them I need Less out the door and the knocked 2K off before taxes.. The engine sounds great the shifting is clean very good feel to it.. the are some thing like small dime to nickle hole on the dash .. front nose badge gone(they said will replace at there cost ) the tires or the thinner 17 " but it dose not look lower.. the sun roof has an issue closing as is seem to good the end to close the re-opens ..like the close sensor is think something is there .. you can close it but you have do it in small steps.. the Mile said 86K plus .. and that not a lot for 206 .. engine are is clean no oil smells no sign of leaks.. AC is cold.. Drove it on short track too close to rush hour traffic to take on freeway but it shifted with easy turn on a dime and ABS felted strong and no slipping..

If there is good reason not to jump on this when I am getting it below their price as well ?

Had the some good extras a few other scruffs but not bode dings at all

The Red wagon I own is in the shop as i had the starter replace and I go to pick it up and it was rattling like metal on metal and was not turning very well .. the say $3500 Minus $800 for the starter) or less to fix all the issue but i see a few i would do later that won't effect driving .. the wife jumped on 2013 Outback with the all weather package she is happy(so happy wife happy life) Ok any thought on the 206 wagon and if it looks like good deal.. Thanks

CC
1990 Subaru Legacy L Wagon AWD.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Looking at this wagon 2006 SUBARU Legacy Wagon 2.5i Lt

Post by Legacy777 »

I bought an 06 late last year, and being that it was from the North East had a bit more stuff to clean up, which I did, and wasn't a big deal. However, for me, when it came down to it, I just didn't care to drive it. There was quite a bit of lag with the e-throttle, which made driving it (it was a 5spd MT) more difficult. Also, the seat wasn't the most comfortable.

I think if you can get it for $10k, that's not too bad. Taxes and licensing will probably bump that back up.

I would certainly suggest getting them to fix the sunroof. I've also heard people say that these motors have head gasket issues, not the normal compression side leaks, but they leak/ooze oil. I didn't notice that on the one I bought, but might be something to double check.

I would also suggest taking the car for another longer drive and see that everything works good and that you like driving it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
CCorsair
First Gear

Post by CCorsair »

Legacy777 wrote:I bought an 06 late last year, and being that it was from the North East had a bit more stuff to clean up, which I did, and wasn't a big deal. However, for me, when it came down to it, I just didn't care to drive it. There was quite a bit of lag with the e-throttle, which made driving it (it was a 5spd MT) more difficult. Also, the seat wasn't the most comfortable.
This is the Automatic so no worry on the shifting . seems to be nimble and ABS work great.. shift well but need to get it up to speed on the freeway and then listed and smell under the hood..

I think if you can get it for $10k, that's not too bad. Taxes and licensing will probably bump that back up.

They dropped it to $9.998 but that before tax and all And i said $10K out the door my worry is it's been on the lot for some time but they are a bit off the beaten trail for lots and this one been sitting..

I would certainly suggest getting them to fix the sunroof. I've also heard people say that these motors have head gasket issues, not the normal compression side leaks, but they leak/ooze oil. I didn't notice that on the one I bought, but might be something to double check.

looked over the engine for leaks could see any not smells oil burning.. it was clean. very very Clean. Also there is gap in the dates.. from 2007 to 2010 no reports on anything .. it come up them go off and then back till early this year which means it was off road or on a non-op and i not sure on that.. OT reading match so no roll back.. look like new parts starter and Alt.. Battery a cheap Walmart one seats and in-sides are clean with a few cosmetics to fix.

I would also suggest taking the car for another longer drive and see that everything works good and that you like driving it.
I want to drive it again too just got the call on my wagon the rack and steering pump are gone so the $1,900 for a 1990 L wagon i know been doing well but still need more work to get to 100% .. was also looking at a 2006 Forester TX automatic on the lot where I am getting my 90 fixed .. wife would rather spend less and fix the red wagon but getting that feeling it might not be a good ideal but then again it been getting great mileage for just shooting around town but look at some more leaks on it as well engine wise that could cost me more as well.. so it like $2500 to $3500 for my wagon as i know what is there and wrong or jump to the newer 2006 Legacy with no ideal of issues and get deeper in the fixing.. the roof is an issue for me as i know if the seals are not shut right it will leaks and i have no clue of cost for the fix..has to be high i feel as they would fixed it if not but then again it could be just switch issue.. .. I trust the site here people her know the Legacy and the issues and i just don't want to move on a wagon that could turn into a bad thing when the one I have is less to fix but is older (245,410K miles older vs 89K mile old. ) Ok thanks I'm going to talk to the wife and see.. (her money not mine) she just want me to get lucky again and pic a good car that will last 7 years as did the red wagon.. it's was crag's list privet sale for $1,000 as is.. I just got lucky on that pick and it was about the same .. one car dying one dead and i just open and the web and bought it.. Don't like buying when in need.. we do have the new car but we both are like working and some time we both need to go two direction so we need two directions some days..

Thanks it's going to been a long day to think on this one..

CC
CCorsair
First Gear

Post by CCorsair »

WE went tot the shop and the red wagon is dead it's misfiring bad and the pump and Rack are just dumping too mach to fix.. and know for sure it won't cost me a grand more .. so we sat down and did some dealing with the lot and got an 09 Forester with 106 k Limited.. drives nice .. miss my legacy but will own once again soon.. The lot was more full of 2012 and 2013 than used and those that had anything on their lot had some shady feel to them the one i listed above at lease 3 shops said $1800 to fix that sun roof slider due to the panels having to be removed.. The 09 Forester has leather and a lot good thing .. the XT turbo I passed on after driving it as it was fast bu the Turbo scoop look a bit need replace me and it was a bit light on brakes.. the 09 seem to shift well and get up but the other day with the low gas light on it seem like the systems had less power and was thinking it could have been the fuel system trying to not let me suck the tank dry.. not sure but today it had some get up and more.. It it was say to see my Legacy go.. they gave me $$$ for it and it has server us well for over I think 5 to 7 years for Crag's list buy for $1000.. it had it own personality but not the bad kind.. Going to get all my stuff out tomorrow.. will take farewell picture as well.. Sign...CC
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well that's sad to hear the Legacy is going away, but it's probably for the better. I think you made the right call on the 06 Legacy. The new foresters are nice and hopefully this one will last you a good while as well.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CCorsair
First Gear

Post by CCorsair »

Legacy777 wrote:Well that's sad to hear the Legacy is going away, but it's probably for the better. I think you made the right call on the 06 Legacy. The new foresters are nice and hopefully this one will last you a good while as well.
Yes i think I did the right thing as much as I like the look of the 06 Legacy I fine that the fix for the sen roof closing right would have been an $1800 fix and that still may not have worked and that sad as it did drive great.. just too many "UNKNOWNS" Now on the Foresters it's an 09 the 2009 Subaru Forester Sport Utility X Limited it the Sage Green

Equipment
# All Wheel Drive
# 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
# Tires - Front Performance
# Sun/Moon Roof
# Automatic Headlights
# Privacy Glass
# Power Mirror(s)
# Variable Speed Intermittent Wipers
# CD Changer
# MP3 Player
# Bucket Seats
# Power Driver Seat
# Pass-Through Rear Seat
# Leather Seats
# Leather Steering Wheel
# Adjustable Steering Wheel
# Power Door Locks
# Cruise Control
# Engine Immobilizer
# A/C
# Driver Vanity Mirror
# ABS
# Traction Control
# Daytime Running Lights
# Passenger Air Bag On/Off Switch
# Power Steering
# Aluminum Wheels
# Tires - Rear Performance
# Panoramic Roof
# Fog Lamps
# Heated Mirrors
# Intermittent Wipers
# AM/FM Stereo
# CD Player
# Auxiliary Audio Input
# Heated Front Seat(s)
# Driver Adjustable Lumbar
# Rear Bench Seat
# Power Outlet
# Steering Wheel Audio Controls
# Power Windows
# Keyless Entry
# Security System
# Climate Control
# Rear Defrost
# Passenger Vanity Mirror
# Brake Assist
# Stability Control
# Front Head Air Bag
# Child Safety Locks..

This is an Huge Upgrade from the 90.. but i still miss it.. it seem to hold more and well was better on gas( 5 gal got me over 100 Plus miles) the Forester drive different and i learning on that .. the Wife's 2013 Outback seem to more like the Red wagon but it also is more plush plus we both have AC(something we did with out for some time so getting better gas with out AC yep .. that we did) Got the extra warranty just to cover my self for a bit but this wagon has 103K on it but was like in the shop for timely services and no problems at all showing on the title very clean most likely a commuter car from San Jose area. the leather inside looks very new and un-crack or ripped up not rug ruts.. will post pics soon and some final ones of the Legacy.. Sniff..

CC
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, there's something to be said about the older Subaru's. They were just more raw and connected than the newer ones. I've noticed that as well. Even between my 97 Impreza and the 06 Legacy I had....I like feeling connected to the car, the road, etc......and I feel a lot of new cars today are missing that. Very vague feeling.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CCorsair
First Gear

Post by CCorsair »

Legacy777 wrote:Yeah, there's something to be said about the older Subaru's. They were just more raw and connected than the newer ones. I've noticed that as well. Even between my 97 Impreza and the 06 Legacy I had....I like feeling connected to the car, the road, etc......and I feel a lot of new cars today are missing that. Very vague feeling.
The wife seem to understanding my seemly deep connection to the old red Wagon.. as dinged and dented and just sometimes stubborn the wagon was it was just very good when it wanted to get out and run.. She say we can hunt down another one later but we have to have two long term running wagons. We need to get out and work..and she is right. Her new Outback next to our room mates 98 Outback is like a classic VW next to a new VW they look the same but do they have the same soul? for the Subaru I will say yes .. I know some of the people who families are connected to the company in Japan.. They tell me even with the change it still the same inside even with the new stuff. My friends were sad that my wagon died too.. I got a card from them.. lol .. They just want the safes and the best they tell me . and i believe that is true about the Subaru's. I know my wife can go out and drive the 2013 and still have the same if not better safe driving she had in our 90 but with out the thing getting grumpy and not starting or some strange sound she does not like (mostly it was just due to some caught on the under side or something in the back i forgot to tell her about moving about) she love her "Baby' as she called it.. As for me the new Forester .. still feeling strange with the posh leather and clean insides(the owner's before on the red wagon were college students )The forester is great its clean and shinny and well leather.. I been playing around and found if put my same driving habits I used in the Legacy and i am getting 24.9 mpg city and that's good for a beast that seem it should get only 16.. I have been with out AC for so long I feel bad running it when I can open the sun roof and drop the windows to half and drive.. but at the same time I am very glad I didn't get that 06 outback legacy wagon with the broken sun roof with what the shop said the cost of the fixing it would have been (over $1800) but also feel ok i didn't get the 06 Forester with the Turbo as i now hearing that it would have need the higher end gas to keep it happy.. we're doing good but not that good we can pay near $5 for the good stuff.
I do feel there is still that soul of the older Subaru's. there .. my wife has gotten up and drove out of town and around the back country .. she said this one still wants to go faster than you want(what is with Subaru's. and not wanting to do the speed limit? My forester seem to be spot on .. I have to remember that 50 isn't 45 any more lol (speedometer was off on the old wagon).. The feel of the engine seem to be the same but more thing working right and more power (like I said our worked fine but never at 100%).. Shifting feels good but need to make sure having the shop go over it for a few things i feel ..nothing big but want to make sure.. The ABS is interesting on that it does a test i read about and once i did I did hear it do that(first time you turn on the car and touch the breaks it makes a Clunk sound ) .. We are getting out room mates into the shop this week need to clean it up and out of some thing . the Neighbors are going to see everyone here gone most of the day now with all of us with cars .. will have to make sure the security cameras are working. at a 100%. no more playing Taxi for the room mate after this week.. Thank you all for the help on the old wagon.. I not going away from here but will have to change my tag line soon.. No more Legacy right now.. but I will get another some time soon.. that is for sure..