Hurt My Back, Serious Pain. Pulled Something?

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Hurt My Back, Serious Pain. Pulled Something?

Post by kimokalihi »

Yesterday I was trying to finish up an engine replacement on a honda (damn honda got me good, just like the one I raced when I blew my engine) and I was bent over the front bumper supporting myself with my right hand on the engine and my left pushing as hard as I could on a 17mm wrench to break loose a trans/engine bolt. Suddenly something happened in my middle left back and a very intense pain set in. I stood up and could hardly breathe because it hurt so bad. It didn't not get better overnight either. It got worse when I woke up. Woke up a hundred times because it hurt all night when I'd move.

What the hell did I do? I'm going to a chiropractor in a little bit. It feels like when I broke a rib and punctured my left lung when I was a teenager jumping my bike on some dirt jumps and faceplanted on the flat after the landing when I cased the landing with my front tire. But that was the front of my ribs and this is lower and in my back.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
mike-tracy

Re: Hurt My Back, Serious Pain. Pulled Something?

Post by mike-tracy »

To my knowledge none of us on here are doctors, lol. What I do is stretch out the area as best as I can, regularly, and take an anti inflamitory over the counter pain pill.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Well, I'm quite anti-pills. Don't take any kind of pills. No supplements or drugs. I'm also skeptical of anti-inflamatory to a point. If part of your body is inflamed that means your body is getting all the blood and nutrients into the area to heal itself and to help remove waste. Taking anti-inflamatory pills is telling your body not to do it's job and that you know better than it does.

I just want to know what happened or if any of you have done this before and how long it lasted or,"Is this going to last forever?"

Stretching sounds like a good idea and I did do that earlier. Moving about seems to reduce the pain or at least it loosens my back up to where it doesn't hurt with minimal movements like it did when I woke up and it was all stiff.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

BTW nice signature quote. I just noticed that.
kimokalihi wrote:
Sems o ape that way iad ly 3 tickets I proably 4 years and then I got 3 moe in 2 months!
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

I'm not a doctor but I did a similar thing pulling in a wrench and popped out a rib. My symptoms were shortness of breath because of the pain and very tender to lean on. My bone crusher was able to get it back in, but was still tender for a few days. Was able to breath normal after it was popped back in.

Good luck,
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh damn. If I breathe deep it expands the rib cage and that causes a lot of pain. I'm going to finish that stupid honda today regardless. Tired of it being in my garage. That garage is supposed to be subaru only!

This:

Not This:

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Haha, kimo, your plight reminded me of this classic video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPfxtJ8SQgk
You'll need sound on to get it.
:)
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Is it black and blue in that area. I have been on a pulling spree over the past several months. Training has been to hard I guess. Pull my calf in Nov. and my hamstring in Feb. and then my big toe 2 weeks ago. If it is black and blue that is usually a deep tissue problem. Hopefully you didn't slip a disk. Just make sure you see someone like you said you were going to. That is one area you don't want to fuck with.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I can't believe you hurt yourself over a Single Non-V motor.....
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Well in my defense its actually a dual solenoid vtect swap.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

SILINC3R wrote:Is it black and blue in that area. I have been on a pulling spree over the past several months. Training has been to hard I guess. Pull my calf in Nov. and my hamstring in Feb. and then my big toe 2 weeks ago. If it is black and blue that is usually a deep tissue problem. Hopefully you didn't slip a disk. Just make sure you see someone like you said you were going to. That is one area you don't want to fuck with.
No its not bruised at all. The chiropractor did a manual adjustment on my back and used the clicky tool all over my back and neck. He said I twisted a vertebre and he's going to realign it over a few visits. And then I should be ok. It feels a little better already. I can move around easier now. I'm about to go back to work after my weekend so well see how bending over a craps table all day feels.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Oh really?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT