Expensive "Mechanix" gloves... why so much?

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Expensive "Mechanix" gloves... why so much?

Post by free5ty1e »

When I was at NAPA today, I noticed they had a rack of Mechanix brand gloves that looked all fancy and were anywhere from $25-$40 :shock:

I was indeed in the market for gloves, I wanted some more of those nice gorilla grips and they were like $3. NAPA did not have any of those.

Of course, I didn't buy the gloves but... I find myself wondering what was so special about them? Anyone here used 'em and have an opinion?

Do they not get dirty or something? Some other magical property I'm unaware gloves could possess?
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Expensive "Mechanix" gloves... why so much?

Post by kimokalihi »

I've got some "grease monkey" gloves. They fit nice and I like them but they don't last forever. They were like $15 I think. Home deep.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
DD50
First Gear

Post by DD50 »

They are overpriced. That being said they really do "fit like a glove" Very comfortable. Doesn't affect the dexterity as much as other gloves. I do wish they were at least five bucks cheaper. I haven't used the extra padded ones though so I can't say what those are like. Just the standard ones
Proud Owner of a 1992 Winestone Mica Subaru Legacy LSi non turbo with 198,000 miles. Soon to be turboed
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thinner is better. I mostly just use nitrile gloves. The mechanic gloves are nice when it's cold out or to give you a little bit of padding so your fingers don't get so sore but they don't keep you hands clean if you get oil in or on the gloves.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Yeah... I was guessing the price was mostly for the brand name and then maybe partially for some higher quality materials but... well, they're GLOVES.

Nitrile are great for dexterity but I always find myself ripping them right open at the most inopportune times and nullifying the protection they offered.

Oh well; I'll keep looking for another reasonably-priced set of Gorilla Grips as they seem to work great for me. I'd just like a separate set for working on the interior so I don't smear oil and carbon everywhere :)
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

You're mostly paying for the name.
For the same money you can get ~600 nitrile exam gloves from costco.
But I do have a pair of 'mechanic' gloves for working on hot things.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

My hands sweat too much in the nitrile gloves. I can only wear them for a short amount of time, and usually just wear them if I'm using solvants, oils, etc.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm