Insurance

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Insurance

Post by originalcyn »

Couldn't find a thread about who everyone was using for insurance (with the exception of one member from Australia).

In any case, who is everyone using for insurance and are you happy with their service and prices?
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: Insurance

Post by James614 »

Progressive. Happy with their prices, but I have only liability on the Subie. These cars are so old that IMO its not worth the cost to have comp/collision coverage. I could buy another one every couple of years with the price of full coverage, and they will try to stiff you if its totaled which doesn't take much with such an old vehicle.

FWIW I had to make a collision claim on my '10 Charger l, and they were awesome taking care of it, didn't even fight me about taking it back several times when it didn't handle right and made weird noises, and didn't dissuade me from going to out of network shops. The same collision would have been a write-off for my Legacy though.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Amica,#2 rated in the nation and prices are good 300$ a year for liability. They have always treated me fair and went to bat when a taxi opened its door and hit my wife's truck when she leaving a hotel and caved the bed side in. 3500$ damage with a with a door less than 2mph. For full coverage on the dodge it around 1200$ a year.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Don't bother with comprehensive. Huge waste of money and they'll try their best and succeed in screwing you and not paying shit on uour car. This was nationwide. $900 for my ss and now I have a salvage title and my insurance went up $30/month. Switched to progressive for about $90/month just liability.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

Out of state farm, progressive, all state, and usaa. I choose usaa over and over again with prices and customer service :)
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Usaa is rated #1 over all my dad has it.
Charles

originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Yeah, i'd agree about comprehensive Kimo, not for a 1st gen legacy.

I was looking at usaa. My dad was army. I don't think he uses usaa. does that mean i'm not qualified to use it either?
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

I believe immediate family members including kids. But not sure if you qualify if he's not using usaa.
Charles

originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

I'll have to call and find out, and the maybe persuade him to change his insurance. We use allstate currently. But we go through an agent who is relatively local. I think that ends up costing something extra cause there's overhead involved.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That's odd. Insurance agents are supposed to be paid by the companies they represent, not the customer they're finding insurance for. There should be no charge. I just used one back in february (two actually) to find my current insurance and there was no charge and they even told me that's not how it works.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

I phrased that poorly. what i meant was, the cost of having using an agent with a physical presence will increase the overall cost of your coverage. ie, insurance companies that have you deal straight with a call center instead of a specific local agent usually can manage to have your rates be slightly lower. This is my understanding anyways.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Kimo, 90$ a month is high in my opinion. For 4 vehicles I pay 173$ a month and one has full coverage. My Lego is 35$ a month.
Charles

originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

I'm on liability only, and i think i'm at 270 for 6 months. But it's not an ss, and it's considered limited miles or whatever.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

originalcyn wrote:I phrased that poorly. what i meant was, the cost of having using an agent with a physical presence will increase the overall cost of your coverage. ie, insurance companies that have you deal straight with a call center instead of a specific local agent usually can manage to have your rates be slightly lower. This is my understanding anyways.
Oh, I didn't think of that...
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

rallyak wrote:Kimo, 90$ a month is high in my opinion. For 4 vehicles I pay 173$ a month and one has full coverage. My Lego is 35$ a month.
I have a couple speeding tickets and a failure to make a complete stop at a stop sign and that accident that totalled my car. Cracked windshield and a few tiny dents in the hood and roof and trunk will total your car if its as old as mine. That and I'm 26 and was 25 when I got the policy. That was the price for paying 6 months in advance too, it was over $10/month more if I paid by the month.
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

kimokalihi wrote:
rallyak wrote:Kimo, 90$ a month is high in my opinion. For 4 vehicles I pay 173$ a month and one has full coverage. My Lego is 35$ a month.
I have a couple speeding tickets and a failure to make a complete stop at a stop sign and that accident that totalled my car. Cracked windshield and a few tiny dents in the hood and roof and trunk will total your car if its as old as mine. That and I'm 26 and was 25 when I got the policy. That was the price for paying 6 months in advance too, it was over $10/month more if I paid by the month.

At 25 my insurance was higher also because of max points on my license at 20. I changed to cars that had less than 150hp and I quit receiving tickets. Most of them was in my Maverick a 400+hp car that ran in the 11s on the track that I drove on the street. Those were fun days.
Charles

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It sucks because my tickets were all minor 5-10 over tickets and a ticket for not making a complete stop at a back country intersection at night with nobody in sight. I slowed down to 5mph probably but the stupid country cop was hiding in the dark with his lights off just waiting to ruin someones day.
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

I know, I hate that, but it's what they get paid for i guess. I got a ticket for going under train track stopping arms. It was a sting operation, they were tripping the lights intentionally. A train never came by during the time I was waiting. Also, i don't think the rcw says anything about going under arms that are coming down. I think it say going around them or something like that. In any case, it was a poor choice on my part, but it was still frustrating that it was a set up. I think the paper said they handed out like 240 tickets that day.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Any one have experience with the quicky insurance companies? Geico & Esurance?

Progressive had ok rates, but esurance was offering full coverage plus custom parts theft for like 470 for 6 months, which seemed pretty cheap.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Whoever is cheapest will depend a lot on personal factors. For me, Progressive was cheapest when I had my license suspended for too many points as a teen. 9 years later, I'm sure loyalty discounts and whatnot keep them cheaper than others for me.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.